This week, the MMO community turned its eyes toward Electronic Art's investor conference call, hoping for insight on Star Wars: The Old Republic. BioWare's been very vocal about a spring 2011 release date (reaffirming that goal just a few weeks ago in the wake of unsourced "September" rumors on MCV), yet some news outlets and many gamers took EA's broader estimate of "calendar 2011" as a delay and a sign of the game's impending failure, nevermind the lack of immediate contradiction. (If it's not out by the June solstice, then we'll talk!) Some of our own readers even seemed glad that the game might be a bit behind schedule, as if it confirmed their hope/hunch that the game isn't all that and a bag of death sticks. Is it spite or cynicism fueling that schadenfreude? Either way, we suspect the naysayers will still be first in line on launch day, no matter when that launch day is.
Join us past the break for a look at this week's other top stories!
[Update: The memorably named kjhasdfjkhk let us know that since this post was written, BioWare has changed its predicted release goal to "after March 31st, 2011." While this still does not rule out a spring release, the change is nevertheless notable. Thanks, kjha!]
- Earthrise launch day arrives, sandbox title available for purchase
The sci-fi sandbox got off to a rocky start.
- RIFT pre-orders rewarded with exclusive TF2 unlocks, RIFT's sixth closed beta event
We unearthed details on RIFT's next beta and pre-order perks.
- Massively's interview with Jeff Grubb and Eric Flannum
We interviewed key ArenaNet devs about the Guild Wars 2 Guardian class' origins.
- Captain's Log: One year of Star Trek Online
Ryan celebrated STO's very first anniversary.
- Undead Labs reveals first release title, and it's not the zombie MMO
UL's zombie MMO was delayed in favor of a console zombie shooter.
- THQ says WAR40K MMO due by March 2013
We learned the sci-fi MMO is a lot further off than we'd hoped.
- Global Agenda: Year one retrospective and interview
We interviewed Hi-Rez Studios on the occasion of GA's first birthday.
- Massively's exclusive look at Line of Defense, a new MMOFPS
Derek Smart filled us in on the upcoming MMO-shooter hybrid.
- Chris Cao spreads the love for the next DCUO update
The DCUO game director gave us the scoop on the game's upcoming update.
- Enter at Your Own Rift: Creature comforts
Justin explained why derivative MMOs are a great thing.
- Five by five: PlanetSide Next reveals the Reaver
A new ship for the upcoming MMOFPS was revealed.
- Free for All: Five mobile MMOs that are not Pocket Legends
Beau examined some lesser-known smartphone MMOs.
- TERA's first level 50 player interviewed
The first Korean player to hit 50 spent barely a week to get there.
- Blizzard's guide to conquest points
WoW's official blog clued players in on how to maximize conquest point gain.
- Cataclysm Dungeon Screenshot Contest announced
Blizzard hosted a screenshot contest with prizes worth over $450.
- All rated battlegrounds to become 10v10s
Bluenames announced that the larger 15v15 rated BGs will be phased out.