Posted: Feb 4th 2011 6:07PM Wisdomandlore said

Honestly you're much better off skipping Eastern Angmar and doing some combination of Forochel, Southern Trollshaws, and Eastern MM. While Turbine streamlined Western Angmar, the other side still heavily mixes solo quests with group targets. Combine that with some incredibly grindy quests and one of the highest mob densities in the game and you have a waste of time on your hand. Or you could just head to Eregion much earlier. Even if you enter Moria at 48-50 you'll still have plenty of quests to get you to 60.

Posted: Feb 4th 2011 7:34PM Silverangel said

Great write-up! This is always an interesting topic, and even more so now with the Skirmishes and the Task factor. I half-agree with your deed-as-you-go strategy, although many don't. It's less effective now also with no XP for deeds. Exploration is also easier when you've out-leveled. Btw, you seem to be missing the Bilbo's Buttons deed for yet another +1 Honesty in the Misty Mountains.

Posted: Feb 4th 2011 7:46PM aurickle said

I would disagree about Class deeds. I think any good plan would absolutely look at which class deeds you're going to want to equip and then start working on those as soon as you can. Class deeds come in three sets, so the more you put into a particular set, the more powerful everything you do with that set's related skills becomes.

For example, with the Rune-Keeper you have a set focused on lighting DPS. If you slot your first four class traits from that set, you become much more powerful than if you put in one deed from lighting, one from fire & frost, and two from healing.

Not only that, but all class deeds can only be advanced a maximum number of times per day, requiring a minimum of 5, 7 or 10 days to complete. If you wait to start actually working on the deed until you want its trait, you'll have to wait up to ten days before you can actually get it. Ouch! But if you start out each day by looking at the class deeds that are in progress, you can quickly max them out for the day. You'll earn the trait fast, having it available for whenever you want it in your build.

In short, decide on your focus early and watch for the deeds to become available that will get you there. As soon as one pops up in your "New Deeds" notification, see what you need to do and get in the habit of doing it until the deed is maxed out for the day.

Believe me, it really sucks to be level 50 and realize that you would be so much better off if you had a particular trait slotted but you can't because you've been working on the deed ever since level 10 and are still only halfway through. Shocking Touch is a great example of this. If you only stun mobs when you need to in order to save your bacon, you'll take forever to finish the deed and get the associated trait. But if you start out each day using Shocking Touch in every single fight, you'll quickly max the deed out for the day and then complete it within a week.

Another good example is the Loremaster's Leechcraft. It gives the "Proof Against All Ills" trait, which allows you to use it and Tend the Sick in combat. That's a huge blessing for any Loremaster in a group! But if you wait to only use it when you or an ally is debuffed, you'll be pretty high level before completing the deed.

Obviously, some class deeds are next to impossible. Minstrels have the short end of the stick because how often can you talk someone into dying 50 times a day for you to resurrect them? :) But in general, you really should be paying attention to and working on those class deeds.

Posted: Feb 4th 2011 8:07PM Jade Effect said

@aurickle

"how often can you talk someone into dying 50 times a day for you to resurrect them?"

Just create a free account, run that character into high level aggro mobs and rezz. Wait for the stupid cooldown, repeat.

Posted: Feb 4th 2011 9:35PM MrsAngelD said

@Jade Effect oh yeah I guess that's completely possible now with the F2P, wasn't so feasible back before the changeover...lol

Posted: Feb 5th 2011 7:57AM Nerves said

@aurickle
It says you have to USE your rez x amount of times, not that the person has to accept said rez. Find another minstrel working on the deed, die, let them rez you enough times that they hit their daily limit. Then accept the rez and have them return the favour. It goes real fast this way. Just a few minutes a day and it's done quickity quick!

Posted: Feb 5th 2011 4:58PM ScottishViking said

@aurickle My minstrel has been 65 for some time now and I'm STILL working on my "Blue" traits. Song of Soothing? Yikes...what a grind! I only recently finished the first tier of the traits for that one, and am something like 150 uses away from getting the second one. And because I solo a lot, it feels very unnatural to use it.

Posted: Feb 5th 2011 3:32AM pcgneurotic said

Hey, this is just the kind of clear thinking and motivational mozzarella I need to jump-start my stalled dudes. I have four characters at all points of the 1-65, and no idea how to get them going again. I'ma sit down and make me a roadmap. Thanks Justin this is just what I needed! :)

Posted: Feb 5th 2011 4:15AM jastani said

LOL the game should be called "Lord Of The Time Sinks". Great read, nonetheless. The game does give players a fairly wide-open canvas to chart their way to the top, and it can be a little overwhelming to new folks, so any advice to them will help. Even it's just for inspiration.

Posted: Feb 6th 2011 7:55AM Haldurson said

Virtues are only for those who like to grind. Otherwise, you really don't have to maximize them. Honestly, I keep hearing people complain how they don't like to grind, and at the same time, are grinding.

I don't like to grind, and guess what? I never have, least in Lotro. Quite naturally, without any extra effort, you will gain sufficient virtues, just by traveling through and doing the quests in each of the zones. You won't maximize those virtues, but you are the only person who will know that. I'm happier knowing that I missed out on a huge grind that others were foolish enough to indulge in. It doesn't make me feel inferior, or like I'm lazy -- it just makes me feel good, like I got a get out of hell free card..

Posted: Feb 7th 2011 4:15AM BGExorcist said

Some people want to play, and not pay = grind. My opinion, now dont you VIPs jump me - the game has such repeating zones and mobs. I am absolutely surprised how it survived so long p2p.
I realy wanted to give them some cash though, this weekend's promotion. But they disagreed, from my COG account when i tried to purchase, al i got was a blank empty screen with a home button. Oh well, better for me :P

Posted: Feb 7th 2011 9:31AM Ocho said

Great post! I ahve a few LotRO characters that seem a little wandering right now... putting them on a nice path like this is a great idea. I'll definitely keep this in mind when I come back to them. Thanks!!

Posted: Feb 7th 2011 11:53AM lordsoth said

There are a core of about 5-6 virtues which are really useful, and another half dozen that my be beneficial in certain specific fights.
The general rule is to slot 4 virtuals that will maximize your chance to survive.

Some virtues require grinding in some areas, but not others.

I came back at level 40 and did all the virtues for the starter areas (bree, erid luin and the shire); as its alot easier to grind when one shot takes down your foe; and especially in areas where they breed like rabbits.

For those that are VIP and have a load of Turbine Points, the 2x deed aceleration only cost 50 Turbine points for 15 minutes, and 75 points for 30 minutes. This really makes short work of grinding.

Some of the harder areas require a lot of grinding to get the virtue. This may be ok for Goblins or Orcs who are always in your face; and you can get a bulk of these by just doing the regular quests in the area. But when it comes to kill 400 of the local wildlife, which you would normally just leave alone; I usually skip the virtue and do the equivalent virtue deed in a differernt area.

Global Chat: Doom and WAAAGH!

Posted on Jul 22nd 2014 8:00PM