Posted: Feb 6th 2011 8:36PM DevilSei said

@SKYeXile

Or, you elitest little prick, its completely possible that I never played PlanetSide in its so-called "prime".

I did my fair share of looking about before I first posted, and nothing I found attributed any concrete numbers as to just how big a continent may be, or how many players have fought in one localized area.

So far Kamo has shown the most (however little it is because of that comment at the end) intelligence. He actually bothered to give some real numbers.

Posted: Feb 7th 2011 3:25AM SKYeXile said

@DevilSei

you we're told in your first reply that fights are currently "133vs133vs133"

Fights used to be larger but they limited the amount of people awhile back to 399...want proof? youtube it...

Posted: Feb 7th 2011 4:44PM DevilSei said

@SKYeXile

If you could read that far, you should have been able to easily of read "500 per continent", which is great and all until you break it down and if the continents are as big as I've read, at that point, like I said big deal because WoW can do the same thing.

And a trailer and gameplay video offers no such proof just to let you know. I could easily make the same videos and throw out whatever wild claim I wanted.

Posted: Feb 7th 2011 7:37PM Valdamar said

@DevilSei
What WoW doesn't do without major lag, and what Planetside managed to do without much lag, is cram 400 players (500 at launch) in and around the same base (a base that is smaller than one floor of your average WoW dungeon), with trajectory calculations for all the weapons they are firing, plus all the movement physics for the aircraft and vehicles buzzing around.

Really it's just a case of not talking up WoW and MAG when Planetside was doing all this back when most multiplayer FPSs weren't going beyond 32 people on a big map and nowadays a lot of MMOs will instance a zone smaller than one of Planetside's continents when 50 people are in it (Champions Online, certainly EQ2 as well back when I played it - we nailed down that limit in beta).

Planetside was a head of its time and if you never witnessed it at its peak then you just need to accept what others are saying because it was an incredible technical achievement for its time - but then I guess for most people it is cool to hate on SOE, while totally overlooking their important contributions to the genre - people totally seem to forget how good SOE are at the technical side of things, as demonstrated to me recently when I was playing DCUO beta (which I didn't like, gameplay-wise) and witnessed at least 300 testers buzzing around a small park, PvPing, while I had no lag whatsoever (either graphically, on my 5 year old PC, or latency-wise when my connection isn't the best).

I may not like how SOE manage a lot of their games (their decisions have driven me from most of their games I played), but technically I can't fault them. I suspect Planetside 2 will be abslutely awesome both technically and gameplay-wise, at least until history repeats itself and SOE makes another mismanagement screw-up.

Posted: Feb 7th 2011 9:28PM DevilSei said

@Valdamar

Honestly Vald, I got nothing against SoE for the most part. I may dislike how some of the price shops are (they just had to 1-up Blizzard and their $25 mounts) and the like. I wasn't in the MMO genre when they screwed up SWG (all I have is people's word on that).

And thats why I don't like to just take peoples word for these games, because you have some people who will condemn or praise it to hell or heaven, no matter how the product is.

I was in the beta for the DC MMO as well, on the ps3 for me, and personally I'm amazed out of all the companies promising it, they delivered it same day as the PC, and that it was one of the first real super hero MMOs, as it didn't restrict you to tiny districts where travel powers are nothing more than a flashy way of walking.

So I will agree on that aspect, they certainly have the technical merits down. So if anyone seems to have the capability, it would be them. I'm just skeptical around Smedley and anything he says, just as I am around Molyneux, Blizzard in general (or anything Activision-related), and a few others.

Posted: Feb 4th 2011 10:59PM Dianoga4 said

I can't wait to try this out. For now though I'm playing MarsWar which is a bit of a simplified Planetside clone with the big battles. It's nice because it's free to play as well.

Posted: Feb 5th 2011 12:16AM Russell Clarke said

Hmmmm, I am in love with the near future.

7th Corps forever!

Posted: Feb 5th 2011 4:01AM Tazmanyak said

Ok could sony push the news a level up?
Showing photoshoped renderings is useless, to me, really ...
If they plan on a first quarter release, then show us gameplay videos!

It's time for real news now, pls soe common! :)

Posted: Feb 5th 2011 5:11AM SKYeXile said

ya rly, time 2 knock the hype up another notch, BAM!

Posted: Feb 5th 2011 12:34PM TacosWLove said

Gief Beta Invite> K thx bai

Posted: Feb 5th 2011 1:22PM crashsplash said

@devilsei
they do mean on one map. A few years ago I was in a 166x166x166 battle on one map (continent).

Last weekend in current planetside there was a nc/tr/vsw fight of 133x127x70 - I didn't quite notice the vs pop, so 70 is a conservative estimate.

Posted: Feb 7th 2011 11:35PM SKYeXile said

@DevilSei

Have you ever played WoW @ a tarren mill / southshore standoff? WoW cannot support fights of 100, yet alone 400.

and yes continents are 16km x 16km there about's anyway, this means little when you can travel at 150km/h

Veterans of 8 years are telling you FACTS about Planetside, pull your head out of your ass and listen.