Posted: Feb 3rd 2011 11:01PM Zellis said

I've never given this game the chance I wanted too, I searched high and low for the collectors edition for the x-box 360, and after taking FOREVER for it to download, and setting up an account i think I played it till around level 22? I got to some dunes/sand area and just couldn't find any groups. The controls on the 360 were clunky at best for the way i was used to playing mmos.

I remember some point in the last year I was gonna try it on the PC to see if it was any different, but having to go through so much trouble with there websites and remembering the hell that the play online viewer was... blah i just said screw it and went back to playing wow.

its really quite sad, because underneath it all, it really had a lot of the elements I wanted in an mmo, strongly group based, mob grinding, and dynamic classes. It reminds me a lot of Everquest at its core, But the daunting task of getting it all set up is a real chore.

Still though, back to my first thought, Some of those weapon models look awesome... always makes me think of the mmo that never was :(
(at least for me)

Posted: Feb 3rd 2011 11:52PM Drunken Irish Sniper said

@Zellis. PC, 360, PS2, and all the different countries play together on the same servers so it's the same no matter what and where you play from.

A lot of the servers are dead and for some reason Square Enix won't combine servers even though it's mandatory to have groups to do almost anything in FFXI.

Posted: Feb 4th 2011 12:07AM Zellis said

@Drunken Irish Sniper. I recall wanting to try the free trail on the PC a while back, and the trouble i went through... man, so not worth it. I had accidentally signed up for the non US version so my email was used up for that free trail, then I made a whole new email address to try and get US trail and still something screwed up and I never got a chance to play it. Its like there archaic system is holding them back, Hell even Everquest has a trail that's fast and easy to use and that game is almost 12 years old! I just don't understand all the hurdles they set up... who the hell are they blocking by being THAT secure.

I blame most of my hate on the play online viewer. It just makes any ordeal with them Feel very foreign and unnecessary.

As for your response to me, Yes I was aware that all of the platforms play together, but I was referring to the basic controls, with a basic 360 controller it felt really clunky, like it took me 25 minutes to figure out how to view my buffs, I assumed if i was playing on PC i could just hover over them to answer my question. I would have liked to try it on the PC, but now more then ever I don't wanna try it due to my stated reasons and fear the game is at an all time low of player population thanks to FF14 feeding on its own.

Posted: Feb 4th 2011 12:53AM Khalus said

To those that don't know, PlayOnline was originally designed to be a hub system for many different MMOs and other games worldwide, but somewhere along the line that didn't pan out and it only works as intended in Japan. And the way FFXI is designed, "region free globally" across 3 different platforms and supporting of 4 distinctly different languages the rest of the world has to go through PlayOnline to access it.

Honestly I don't see what the problem with PlayOnline is, sure its not as streamlined or quick to log into XI as most MMOs are, but its not hard to use either. {It was designed for a console, the first and only MMO that supported that and PC for over 7 years...{FFXIV and DCUO in the past 4 months are the only other two}} One just needs to slow down, actually read the options to see what each does, and navigation will be learned better.

And for the record FFXI has had a free trial for at least 5 of the 8 years its been active, but in the past year or so it has been disabled, probably due to the cost of the game being dropped to $9.99 or on sale for $4.99 often, which isn't a bad deal, and not a huge money sink if you don't end up liking it.

@Drunken Irish Sniper

There was a world merge last year, down from 32 to 24, and while some worlds could use a few more players in various level ranges, all thats going to be changed in the next 2 weeks. FFXI is a very top heavy level 75-90 or half way 37-49, and the increase in XP gains {double], increased skill gains and the abolishment of the the hourly timer on Fields of Valor coming soon will alleviate the frustration of the areas that are missing players.

You'll be able to earn XP and level solo better than ever before and should one find a group doing FoV after these changes the amount of XP earned in going to be exponentially awesome!

Posted: Feb 4th 2011 9:11AM Drunken Irish Sniper said

@Khalus. Leveling is only half the game, It still takes groups to do missions and quests and last time I was on I only saw about 10 people over 2 days, though I forgot to do a server search but I've heard as of last year only 700 or less people play at prime time and I'm sure the number has dropped even more by now.

There's no reason to play if there's not enough people for endgame.

Posted: Feb 4th 2011 9:25AM Khalus said

@Drunken Irish Sniper

The end game is now "Abyssea only" for the best stuff, along with merits and camping NMs for Trial of the Magians to upgrade all your shiny new gear obtained from Abyssea, and if I recall most those NMs are in Abyssea too.

Everything prior that was lvl 75 and below are now pretty much solo-able @90 with select jobs or with 2-3 tops which isn't hard to find help for.

Also as far as world population goes, I play on Fenrir, which was not one that was merged, and the population I've seen dip to around 900 during the slow days and hrs, but during peak times it reaches between 2700 and 4100...

There is no solid evidence that the population has dropped below the 500,000 that SE have reported on in all of their census' and the one last year led many of us to believe that it could even be as high as 800,000+