Posted: Feb 3rd 2011 2:54PM JonBuck said

Daniel Stahl is the best thing to happen to this game. Regarding the weekly episodes, early on (After the "Depths of Drozana" episode on Halloween) they asked the players if they wanted high quality episodes like that one, or just more episodes without as much regard for quality. The playerbase voted for quality, and it shows.

The game's made great strides, and given the incomplete state that it was released in, will still need another year, IMO, before it's fully fleshed out.

Posted: Feb 3rd 2011 3:02PM Mainer82 said

I've been have a great time with the game and hope to for more years to come. Happy birthday!

Posted: Feb 3rd 2011 3:05PM askray said

I agree with dan being the best thing that happened to STO. He's very hands on with STO (including even making a few missions himself) and keeps us the community up to date!

BTW -- The foundry is slated for release on or around Feb 25th according to dstahl =P

Posted: Feb 3rd 2011 3:26PM Ocho said

Well said, this game has come a LONG way since its inception, and seeing the revamped ESD last night was really nice. I see time and time again of people complaining about it, but really, its lasted, it has a solid playerbase, the content keeps expanding, and the future still looks really good for the game.

Quick correction, though, you said the latest feature epsiode started last weekend, but it didn't. It starts THIS weekend (superbowl themed?).

Posted: Feb 3rd 2011 3:37PM phatbhuda said

" The third series, which started last week, continues STO's popular Romulan storyline."

As far as I know, featured episodes 3 starts on February 5th.

source: http://www.startrekonline.com/feature_episodes

Posted: Feb 3rd 2011 3:56PM JohnFordColey said

Happy birthday, STO. You're the MMO I run to when I get tired of other MMOs, and I thank you for that.

Also, thanks to Ryan for the Doctor Who reference and YouTube link. It has reminded me to go watch some more of the Third Doctor's episodes.

Posted: Feb 3rd 2011 4:32PM Lateris said

How is the Klingon content now?

Posted: Feb 3rd 2011 5:07PM cic said

@Lateris

Ha!

Posted: Feb 3rd 2011 7:10PM Liltawen said

@Lateris
Better-especially with the new ships, but after so little anything impresses me!
Fortunately the weekly series are faction neutral so the KDF gets those too.
And there's Foundry Klingon missions.

Posted: Feb 3rd 2011 5:38PM Tom in VA said

Thanks for the articles, Ryan. Even though I'm not playing STO these days, I always read and enjoy your STO features.

As for me, I'm not going back to STO till the Foundry is up and running.

I am still mystified why Cryptic doesn't try lowering the monthly sub rates (or going F2P). I mean -- sheesh -- STO is OK, but (in its present state) it is not worth what they are charging for it.

Posted: Feb 4th 2011 3:06AM Katt said

To celebrate 1 year of STO cryptic will be buying everyone a new spacebar.

Posted: Feb 4th 2011 5:45AM mko said

@Katt Autofire

Posted: Feb 4th 2011 6:32AM MyDune said

I don't want to congratulate only Daniel Stahl, but his whole team. They are the ones who do the real work. So thanx guys! Keep up the good work!!

Posted: Feb 4th 2011 7:10AM mysecretid said

Didn't I have an utterly innocuous comment in this thread? Something like "This is still my favorite MMORPG. Not saying it has to be anyone else's, but it's mine"?

What happened? Did somebody make a flame war out of it -- somehow??? -- while I was asleep? Yeesh.

Happy Anniversary anyway, Star Trek Online. Thanks for the fun I've been having.

Posted: Feb 4th 2011 7:12AM mysecretid said

@mysecretid

Whoops. Different thread.

Thank you, you've been a great audience. I'll be stupid all week, as usual. Remember to tip your server.

Posted: Feb 4th 2011 10:31AM Lorell said

I'm ST fan and I'm interesting in this MMO, but I'm worried about this "Feature Episodes". If I start now, will I be able to done previous Episodes/Series or only the ones which will be realise after I start playing?

Happy Birthday STO :)

Posted: Feb 4th 2011 1:46PM Daala said

@Lorell

Yes you can play the other episodes when you do the new ones.
Now you can replay every mission.
Go to you ready room and use the flashing console on your desk.

Posted: Feb 4th 2011 1:44PM Daala said

Happy birthday STO! Had a fun year and know more will follow!
Keep up the good work!

And again looking forward for an article where you don't mention STO has to go Free to Play. And I don't equate free-to-play with lousy or dying games. I have been playing Guild Wars from day 1 and I still play it. In fact, STO is the first game I pay for.

But other then that it was a good article!

Posted: Feb 4th 2011 11:04PM Deryk said

Happy Birthday STO! Thanks for a great first year and looking forward to MANY more to come!

And yes, Dan you've been a breath of fresh air to Cryptic's flagship MMO. Keep up the great work.

Posted: Feb 5th 2011 12:45AM Lionhearted said

I played the game for a few months over the summer and definitely enjoyed my time. I mostly finished up the story lines and wanted to let the game grow in content before I jumped back in. I have to say, I think the game's a lot of fun and is rock solid for casual players -- I think the super-active power gamers out there will have fun, too, but they'll just go through the game very quickly, like a month or two. The weekly episodes have certainly helped fix some of that problem, though, and maybe The Foundry will be the cure?

Right now I'm actually playing Champions Online, and I have to say I'm really enjoying that. It's a very polished, nice-looking game. I think they did a good job with the F2P model -- I don't feel as though I *have* to buy anything, though I've tossed some money into it anyway because I'm having fun and wanted to throw Cryptic some money for creating a good game.

There's certainly some things Cryptic doesn't do very well -- mainly, it rushed games out before they were ready (which I think Atari may deserve a lot of the blame on that front) -- but on the whole, they've stuck with these games and delivered on promises to make them better.... and both of them are a lot of fun, at least as far as I've played them. The character creation process is ahead of the rest of the industry, and I have to say even some of the story telling is very good (I particularly enjoyed the voice acting shots during quests in Champions so far). So, while they're not perfect, I think they may be *just* getting back into my good graces again :p LOL