Posted: Feb 2nd 2011 8:04AM Bartlebe said

I tend to gravitate towards Tanks or Healers. I like the feeling of enabling victory and being an key piece to a group.

I usually look down on DPS classes as taking the easy, pew-pew, face rolling route. "I just wanna hit stuff lol!" Not always true, I know, but that's always what runs through my mind when I see the long, long list of DPS character scrambling to get in raids or groups.

Posted: Feb 2nd 2011 8:05AM Rimeshade said

Used to be mages but now I find myself more interested in melee classes, although I still love using magic as well so anything resembling a "Swordmage" or "Battlemage" such as WoW's Death Knight or Paladin, GW's Dervish, RIFTs Riftblade.

SWTOR seems to be including rogue into the melee/force mix with the Shadow which instantly drew me to that class.

Posted: Feb 2nd 2011 8:06AM wreichlein said

I generally play the high DPS melee class. Champion in LotRO, Smuggler in Star Wars Galaxies, or Rogue in WoW. I like to get up close, and kill things quick. I find it better for soloing, which I tend to do a lot because of the times that I can play (usually very late at night, after most of the world has gone to bed).

Posted: Feb 2nd 2011 8:09AM GaaaaaH said

I tend to go towards pet focused classes where my job is to just buff my pets and have minimal impact with my primary character.

Posted: Feb 2nd 2011 8:19AM Ocho said

I like the DoT, status, leech, kill-over-time classes. So in WoW, I am currently playing an affliction warlock... in STO I'm a status and drain specialized Science Officer. In LotRO, I like the new Warden class for its drains... but then I'll also play tanks as well. I'm not really that big into being a healer and just hanging back, I'm very much into getting into the fray and controlling the battle.

Posted: Feb 2nd 2011 8:27AM Grumms said

It all depends on the game.

Some games do certain classes well and make them very interesting.

I usually lean towards a good hybrid class. Like a chanter, paladin, or even a mage type where I can be different types of magic.

Tank classes are usually alts for me. As well as steath type classes.

Posted: Feb 2nd 2011 9:57AM TheElvenAssassin said

@Grumms

I agree. A lot of how fun a class is/isn't is based on the game. I personally tend to enjoy hybrid classes, or unique classes (even if no one else plays them lol). I guess I prefer to not go along with the crowd.

Posted: Feb 2nd 2011 8:33AM Dukeun said

Support classes mostly. I have played the main healer, I have also played buffer. I also tend to go more classes that have pets or summoner type classes as well.

Posted: Feb 2nd 2011 8:36AM Bottleskup said

The first decision for me is caster or melee, after that there are two branches I tend to gravitate towards:

Caster: Enchanter types, buffs, debuffs, CC, and T2 DPS (usually), examples - Coercer/Illusionist (EQ2), Mesmer (GW).

Melee: Again, buffs, debuffs, T2 DPS, examples - Brigand/Dirge/Troub (EQ2), Burglar (LoTRO), Paragon (GW).

I think it's fairly obvious what these all have in common, they are often the underplayed class thats in high demand, often not very well understood by newer players (ie, they dont know exactly what i'm bringing to the table), they can have huge impacts on the outcome of important battles if played well, and they are just so damn useful.

I am also privy to the odd healer, but thats a secondary choice after all of the above, I usually have a healer alt.

Posted: Feb 2nd 2011 8:40AM Noviere said

I'm sort of all over the place. Back in EQ, I played an enchanter for the most part. In FFXI, I played a bard. In WoW, my main was a holy paladin, though I also liked my frost mage. In GW I was a mesmer. In single player games, I find I usually play a rogue. Looking back, it seems I tend to gravitate towards classes with strong CC abilities.

I tend to avoid warriors/tanks in general.

Posted: Feb 2nd 2011 8:50AM Tom in VA said

I generally like all class types, but I play them primarily solo.

I have noticed that formerly heavily group-oriented classes, such as the Warrior and Priest in WoW, are becoming much more solo-friendly to play, which is a trend I hope to see more of in other games.

Classes in MMOs should all be designed to be more versatile, imo -- and to be "switchable" on the fly. I'd like to see more games that allow players to easily dual class, giving players quick access to two easily accessible specs: dps, healer, and/or tank.

WoW has really made some good progress on this front -- although I believe dual-class players still have to cart around complete 2 sets of gear. :(

LotRO's minstrel and rune-keeper were more to my liking, in this regard, because you could switch roles easily but use the same gear.

Posted: Feb 2nd 2011 9:12AM serow081 said

In pen&paper D&D 4E, I can handle any role, because the social setting of the game allows for immediate access to help from my fellow players. In MMOs, because of bad experiences in WOW, I usually just tend towards dual-wielding fighter-mages or ranger DPS types, because I don't find it fun to tank/heal strangers anymore.

Posted: Feb 2nd 2011 9:13AM serow081 said

@serow081 I'm really hoping the upcoming change to the cursed trinity that GW2 is trying will make a difference :)

Posted: Feb 2nd 2011 11:58AM Birk said

@serow081

Ahhh good to see some PnP players around.

I run a 4E forum campaign on my website...drop by and say hi :)

rootsoflegend.darkbb.com

Posted: Feb 2nd 2011 9:13AM kjhasdfjkhk said

Battlemage type classes. I love wearing heavy (or heavy-ish) armor but hate being the typical physical damage meathead. I love being able to cast spells while still using a shield. I also really like earthy spells. Shaman, ritualist, paladin, prot-monk, paragon, etc.

If I DO pick a generic archetypal class like warrior or mage or something, I usually go crazy with spec and spec them a different way than everyone else. If there's one thing I hate it's cookie cutter specs...I don't spec what's always "best", I spec what I want to play, and usually that's some crazy thing that no one would think to use, which in turn is usually better because I can do things that no one ever thought my class could do, which makes my actions very unexpected (which helps a lot in pvp).

Posted: Feb 2nd 2011 9:13AM Pewpdaddy said

Healing classes most of the time, if I can stomach lvling them. Other than that I typically prefer your mage squishy glass cannon types. If it can port it's an alt for sure. =]

Posted: Feb 2nd 2011 9:16AM MagnetHead said

Definetly melee classes, usually with some armour too. Whether the weapons are duals, sword and shield or great weapons vary from game to game, but I usually prefer being able to both give and take hits. Not a huge fan of tanking though.

Posted: Feb 2nd 2011 9:16AM koehler83 said

I like offensive magic based classes. Particularly nuking. In FFXI I was (in my own opinion) a very good debuffer, so I often filled that role. At the end of the day, more than anything I want to contribute. So I'm happy to fall into whatever role I can fill.

Posted: Feb 2nd 2011 9:35AM Lewa said

DPS Melee, Tank, Ranged DPS. I guess. I can play a lot of roles, but I'm a big fan of doing these, specially when I can get a tank that doesn't necessarily need the healer 24/7.

Posted: Feb 2nd 2011 9:36AM Heraclea said

If there is an armored melee DPS class, that's what I will roll first. Failing that, a pure tanking class is the way I will go.

My first goal in any new game is to avoid frustration while exploring its zones and learning its mechanics. Being tougher and having more hit points is the straightforward way to avoiding frustration.

The surest way for a game to lose me is by constantly throwing ranged attackers whose attacks ignore my armor at me. Or penalizing the damage of tanks so badly that they get overrun by adds and die while struggling to beat down the original target. In such games, I get frustrated early on, and since my chief goal is always to avoid frustration.....