Posted: Feb 2nd 2011 2:39PM pcgneurotic said

Downloading the mp3 now, I love these things! I never used to listen, but now I've been going through the archive and picking out the ones most interesting to me. Loved the GDC stuff with the Turkeys last year, and the Zentia one was great too.

One thing though, Shawn *always* sounds like he's talking from the bottom of a metal bucket. I don't mean his voice is funny, I mean audio quality-wise he always sounds like a robot. Beau on the other hand, has this incredibly rich, warm voice. It sounds like he's right there and poor Shawn is recording from a bathroom somewhere... ;)

Posted: Feb 2nd 2011 2:49PM Brianna Royce said

@pcgneurotic You're not wrong. We keep Shawn at the bottom of a metal bucket all day.

:D

Posted: Feb 2nd 2011 3:06PM pcgneurotic said

@Brianna Royce

Well I tell you what, he sounds better now than I' e ever heard him before! What did you do, paste carpet into his bucket? :D

Posted: Feb 2nd 2011 2:51PM Kane Hart said

I love Rift I had a lot of fun in Beta 5 and now can't wait for Beta 6 even have my friend coming up from the big city to have a lan party this weekend.

Also I just got a code in my mail for 20% off not sure if it is one time use or not but it's for http://direct2drive.com and you can get 20% off pre ordering Rift.

6DA9796E0DB3BC49649BEDEF1C42CC9A

Collectors Edition Came up to $47.96 USD What a steal? Free month includes and HEAD START!

Posted: Feb 2nd 2011 2:58PM nathanb said

"Side note: Shawn's headset is broken and the mic he uses in this episode is cheap. A new one is coming for next episode!"

Inconceivable!

Posted: Feb 2nd 2011 5:16PM pcgneurotic said

Awesome episode, can we have more where you guys just sit and shoot the breeze? It was the perfect mix of entertaining and informative! :)

Posted: Feb 2nd 2011 10:11PM Itoao said

Very good listen this week.
The more I hear Beau's opinion the more I like the way he thinks. Sometimes.
Love to hear the viewer mails.

Posted: Feb 2nd 2011 10:34PM Zantom said

@Checksix

hmmm, I didn't get the impression of arrogance from Beau, though I imagine he is familiar with every game out there...

I thought it was a fun listen. This is only my second one I have listened to. I started listening because I was interested in the Champions Online interview...

Posted: Feb 3rd 2011 2:42AM Ardwulf said

First of all, great show.

It's good to hear some talk about Vanguard; it's a terrific game, really, but there's been so little news out of SOE that it's just dropped entirely off the radar of a lot of people. It deserves better.

Posted: Feb 3rd 2011 11:05AM Suhaira said

FYI guys, the timeline for the tweet about foreign media was before ffxiv was released and that guy was still head of production of ffvix. :)
Was hilarious to read the uproar on fansites.
And iirc, there was no apology.

Posted: Feb 3rd 2011 2:37PM FalconGunner said

Although I do not think that SOE will take any action, I still think that Vanguard could be saved.

If it was any almost any other MMO out there, I would agree with the consensus. Why? Vanguard was meant to be a niche game, catering to hard-core, old school players. Other than Everquest, I can think of no other game in this genre that could possibly compete.
... More importantly every game under distress is looking more and more likely switching to some free to play model. If the correct changes were made, Vanguard would be the only pay to play fantasy mmo of its type.

To make it work, SOE would have to convince the player base that they are dedicated to making Vanguard successful and convince an angry, skeptical player base that they really mean it this time. To attract enough new players an expansion and re-launch would be necessary. PVP issue must be addressed. Progress must be constantly made to existing bugs in the game.

To do all of these things it would take a substantial financial commitment, but I do think there is an opportunity here. However, there is little hope that anything positive is going to happen for Vanguard. SOE and Silius have already failed to deliver on promises and plans made concerning Vanguard. The resounding silence on anything concerning Vanguard speaks volumes.

Vanguard failed miserably because of the horrible launch and since then, not enough has been done to make it stand out. Bug fixes are all well and good, but if there is no promise for a future, how could there be any hope for any game?

If SOE continues with this kind of a track record, they are going to continue being known for mediocre titles that don't go anywhere.

I can understand the commitment to their Everquest legacies, but if they continue charging players to play these other titles, they need to show some commitment to them as well.

What SOE has done to the Vanguard and it's community sickens me and I think they owe an explanation and apology for what has been done (or not done).

Posted: Feb 3rd 2011 5:57PM pid said

I listened to the podcast and immediately went to see the livestream about Earthrise. I wanted just to thank you for the way you review games, because as you told in the podcast, giving a vote is not easy and misleading.

If there's a reason I really like Massively it's also because of this choice. The podcast explains very well why it is preferrable.

About Earthrise: I really like it, a LOT. But the bugs and performance (FPS, lag, etc.) is keeping me away from it. I hope it will have much support so that the devs can keep on working, because I have the impression it is a good start but not a complete polished product, yet.

The huge skillset and TR-like combat are intriguing. It would be a shame if it fails. I plan to jump in 3 or 4 months after release, when more concrete info is available, people can express their feelings about it and hopefully patches have brought the game to a better state.

Posted: Feb 11th 2011 1:49PM Miffy said

Beau just seems more down to earth and can admit what a game needs, unlike most people here who get angry when you criticise anything about the game they play.

I would have played Vanguard but the character models were too ugly for me to stay. We're looking at MMOs for hundreds of hours that I think looks are important. It makes me care about exploration, my character and the lore of the game. When the character models are so ugly like Vanguard's, I just can't care about the game because RPGs are about the characters.

Also the removal of the PVP server killed it because I'm a PVP guy.

Posted: Feb 11th 2011 1:51PM Miffy said

Also don't forget that more games on the all access station pass means the more attractive it looks. Vanguard is their IP so it doesn't cost any money for the license and the station pass is probably the thin keeping it afloat.

Make My MMO: December 14 - 20, 2014