Posted: Feb 2nd 2011 7:32PM (Unverified) said

Been playing eve about a week and im so so so so glad i found this guide on the first day . a MUST read for anyone new to eve.

Posted: Feb 2nd 2011 7:57PM Oskiee said

Only problem with this... no bookmarks... and over 400 pages. But wow amazing job on it.

Posted: Feb 2nd 2011 7:58PM Oskiee said

@Oskiee

ayye im an idiot, it does, no bookmarks in the way im familiar, but thier there

Posted: Feb 2nd 2011 8:22PM psycros said

• Half a heart
EVE: the MMO with less subscribers than the Cat Fancy e-newsletter. The guide could be one sentence: "Anyone who has played longer than you will always be better, and unless you join one of the five biggest corps you're wasting your time along with 100K other losers."

Posted: Feb 2nd 2011 8:58PM GaaaaaH said

Does the hardcopy seem like such a good idea now?

Posted: Feb 3rd 2011 2:51PM Brendan Drain said

@GaaaaaH The hard copy is going to be an expanded version of this guide, and the quality of their previous print release (EVE Strategic Maps) was quite good. It'll probably be worth getting if you're the kind of person who likes to have a physical guide or book rather than a digital version. Might make a good present for someone who plays EVE or is just starting, too. I wonder if CCP plan to release a boxed version of EVE with a printed copy of the guide.

Posted: Feb 2nd 2011 9:05PM Jade Effect said

• Half a heart
I've tried many MMOs. Even for games I don't really find particularly enjoyable, I try to tinker with them for a few days to see if it gets more interesting: Prius Online for 4-5 days, WoW trial for 2-3 days, etc.

Eve Online is the only one I didn't even bother to finish the tutorial. It was just a pain trying to make sense of all the numbers and information. Well, I guess an updated encyclopedia would be useful to someone willing to trudge through it all to find enjoyment in the game.

Posted: Feb 2nd 2011 11:47PM SgtBaker1234556 said

@Jade Effect

Heh, yeah, them numbers are hard. :-)

It's a different game, some like it some don't get it. It took me 3 tries before I got it and after that I was hooked for many years. EVE is more like a old board strategy game - slow and with loads of different pieces that at first glance make no sense at all. However, in the end, wiping out your enemy gives you the greatest kick ever.

The people who say others will always be ahead don't get it at all. Your goal is not to gather Skill Points, the SP is totally irrelevant. It's also not a solo game, 1vs1 PvP doesn't happen, and is very pointless. The greatest profession of EVE - the Fleet Commander - doesn't require any SP from your character, but it does require a lot from you.

Posted: Feb 2nd 2011 9:19PM Digital Disco said

blah blah blah...
EVE is hard
blah blah blah

It's am acquired taste. And no, you don't have to be part of the largest corps to have fun.

As far as the guide goes...

The "manual" for this game is like a Sears catalog. That's good and bad.

Posted: Feb 3rd 2011 6:58PM GaaaaaH said

I see a fundamental problem with making print guides that can be made obsolete every 6 months. While I understand and occasionally share the need for a physical copy, each copy has an unpredictable lifespan for the sections of it that you are using.

Digital copies can be updated faster and for a much lower cost.

Posted: Feb 3rd 2011 11:47PM Brendan Drain said

@GaaaaaH This is a definite concern, but having written EVE guides in my weekly column for the last two and a half years, I've noticed that most of the information in a guide remains valid and relevant years after the guide is made.

I'd say a print version of the ISK guide would still remain about 95% accurate after one year, it'd mainly just be missing information on new gameplay released with expansions. And since it's intended as a guide for newer players, I'd venture a bet that most of the people who would buy it would get a lot of use out of it in that first year. I wouldn't really call that a bad deal, but we haven't seen the price of it yet. That will likely determine who buys it.

Posted: Feb 3rd 2011 6:33PM Lateris said

Is the PI updated for this version?

Posted: Feb 8th 2011 9:32PM Tweakalvos said

I have been playing for 3 years and going to show some real life friends this. To get them interested. Keep getting wow syndrome back on how it hard to get into.

WRUP: Limited-time reunion show edition