Posted: Feb 2nd 2011 6:23PM StormySkies said

Lol, that was me casting Locust Swarm in your picture! I was running around with my mate, and my sister, and she is seen waiting on us in the background on her horse, while myself and friend were battling with you. Fun times. Keep up the good work, I enjoy reading.

Posted: Feb 2nd 2011 6:38PM bookaddict said

lol GO BRO!! & yep that is me in the background. I even remember the battle now. It is the one that was full so I couldn't jump in so instead I cheered from the sidelines.

Posted: Feb 2nd 2011 8:01PM Enikuo said

I'm a little confused about what problem you could be having with the in-game map. I always just use the in-game arrow that guides you to your next area. I only use the map to find general areas I need to be in so that the arrow will work. Are you using the map to try and find exact locations maybe?

The game is really good about teaching you everything you need to know about planting. That said, it is a money sink - the rewards you get from don't seem to really balance out the money you put into it. I think having the cute and goofy plants to come home to is its own reward, but I spend a good bit of time in my house. If you check on your plants once every day or so, you should be good - it seems unlikely you will mess them up.

I don't know how popular the mini games are overall, but there is an iPhone/iPad app for one of them called Wizardblox. I'm pretty sure that you can actually win prizes on the iPhone version, while not in Wizard101, which is pretty cool. You can also play the mini-games for free online (http://www.kifreegames.com/onlinegames), but I don't think you get in-game prizes for those.

There's actually a lot to the pet training stuff, which I think makes it more of an addition for veteran players than new players. I could definitely see how it might feel bolted on. There's kind of a meta-game around it for people that really get into it. Some players spend a lot of time trying to create the perfect pet, with the best stats, and the right look (hybrids). It kind of compares to breeding show dogs in real life. It can get very involved and require a lot of time and resources. Personally, I find it overwhelming and contrary to my play style for Wizard101, so I just tool around with pets I like to look at.

KI's pattern-matching approach to design in Wizard City breaks down a little more in later worlds. There's always a definite theme to each world, but Wizard City is the only one that feels like the areas were kinda copy/pasted and tweaked (not that it was bad). I think it's surprising and nice how their world design evolves as you progress.

Gosh, I can't believe I wrote so much.... what can I say? It's a great "little" game with a lot of depth.

Posted: Feb 3rd 2011 3:45AM John Lifeglen said

Honey Sickles are the way to go for good xp at a low gardening level, as well as treasure cards that could come in handy for boosting your spells. Honey Sickles are well known for all of the amazing charm (blade) cards they give you at harvest! Taking care of them couldn't be easier than making sure you pick up all of the care spells from your friendly neighborhood gardener mole. Good luck, I can't wait to see where the community takes you next.

Posted: Feb 3rd 2011 12:28PM Elwood011 said

Are you sure you have the Quest Helper option turned on? If it is, you get arrows to follow that bring you exactly where you need to go. These work for all quests except the quests where searching is needed, such as Zeke's quests. You must have it off, otherwise you would have no problem finding your quest goals.

I think the Pet Pavilion was put in to give players the "grind" feel that was mostly missing from this game. Pets only have a chance to grant a wizard stats, and even if they have the trait you want, there is no guarantee it will become active when you level the pet. And if it doesn't, after running the same pet game hundreds of times? Start the grind over with a new pet, and maybe this time you will get lucky.

The game is quite fun, and my young children enjoy it a lot. But stay away from pet leveling unless you enjoy the mindless grind.

Posted: Feb 3rd 2011 2:02PM Victrolla said

I am Tara Windwalker

Quest Helper does turn itself off, periodically. You will have to turn it back on. Do you know that we played for a long long time without that Quest Helper? And no mounts, we were just running around trying to find things.

You probably already know that there are 2 depths to maps: the one shown automatically is the zone you are in and the broad view of the realm is found by clicking on magnifying glass in left bottom corner.

Mapping is supplemented by the fan sites and even YouTube videos. Now that Wizard101 has become so popular, you can do a search, for example: "Wizard101: Jade Oni: where" and you will be directed to a guide or a post. I do that a lot. And if I am stuck with a puzzle, truly stuck and I am soloing, I will do a search on how to figure out a puzzle.

There is a purpose behind all that running around and back and forth from realms. You learn the worlds this way. The storyline all ties together. When are up in the higher levels, you will have to go back to some of the areas you battled in as a new wizard. You have probably seen those silver chests in some Boss areas? You will be back for those.

"I've started to notice chinks in the armor of my deck and have begun to wonder what it is I am doing wrong." I had to laugh at this because I have been saying this since I played in Beta. One thing I keep in mind is that quote by Tipa found on the login screen: "No fight ever plays out the same way. Deck construction becomes an art." It is the Deck that will make or break you.

There are some wizards who go to battle with only 4 or 5 spells and they use them repeatedly (one spell can be used repeatedly ... the limit is defined by the deck you use). When our heroes from Ravenwood Radio launched a livestream of their battle against Malistaire ... and we all realized that we could see someone use their Deck ... we were beyond excited. The Deck is a big deal.

One thing, when you say you jump into battle ... you are asking first, aren't you? We need to discourage lack of respect for other wizards. It is getting out of hand.

Oh, hey, great article. Some play the game and write about it. You played the game and thought and thought about it and then wrote. I respect that and I want to read more of your articles. Thank you.

Posted: Feb 3rd 2011 4:47PM Beau Hindman said

@Victrolla No, I don't ask first. I'll try and remember that. Of course, a lot of the players only have text chat anyway, so....

Thanks for all the tips, guys and gals! I've got some great advice so far!

Beau

Posted: Feb 6th 2011 7:44PM Deathstorm50 said

Go with da Boom Shroom! It's perfect for parties! Just think of the innuendo! ;)