Posted: Feb 1st 2011 3:38PM Dril said

I realise it's impossible for me to have read the whole post in detail, but: yes, I agree.

I think you could extend it to virtually any form of discussion as well, which is why guilds that have "no IRL discussions on anything in guild chat at any time whatsoever" type rules really vex me. I LOVE to argue, debate and talk to people (especially about History and Politics) and it just strikes me as, well, moronic that people shouldn't talk about things because someone else might be offended. Sure, people go onto MMOs to escape from real life, but it's just...fascinating to hear what other people think.

Obviously, if someone doesn't want to argue then I'm not saying they should join in if they don't want to, but at the same time I don't see why those who do should have to huddle in a corner, trying to hide their conversations.

Besides, even if people are offended, keeping their peace isn't going to do anything. A good point is always better than a sullen silence.

Posted: Feb 1st 2011 3:40PM DemonXaphan said

I have to agree if you take any game way to serious then it's time to put it away and go do other things in RL.
Besides most people do like a good laugh now and then to break the monotony of game play.

Posted: Feb 1st 2011 4:12PM TheElvenAssassin said

I'll agree on this one. Humor can make a huge difference - but all too often, people are content to pout and fume through an instance run, which takes every tiny bit of fun out of it. When I play (at least on a particular character) I try to have a good time. If that means making myself look like an idiot by cracking stupid jokes or loling at my one-shot from a boss, then that's fine with me.

Posted: Feb 1st 2011 4:44PM Turbana said

"Dad always thought laughter was the best medicine, which I guess is why several of us died of tuberculosis." -JH

Posted: Feb 1st 2011 5:34PM kgptzac said

people play mmo seriously doesn't mean they don't intend to have fun. people troll and flame not because they are "serious", it's because they desire to be rude for whatever reason.

Posted: Feb 1st 2011 5:48PM pixledriven said

First two paragraphs basically sums up one of the biggest side-effects of the progression-based theme part game that has become the norm w/in the MMO space.

Yes, I know they're the norm because that's what people choose to play. Sometimes people choose things that have unforeseen side-effects - this is one of them.

Once we switched from "explore this virtual world together" to "get the items" greed and douchery kicked it.

Posted: Feb 2nd 2011 12:48AM Nucleon said

I think there's a couple things going on. First chicken or the egg, do games which focus on progressing your character cause us to be selfish, or does RL which focuses on progressing our character cause us to be selfish. Hard to say. Read the Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins and you'll basically see that we act as selfishly as whatever current reward/punishment system we exist in.

Along with this, the more anonymous someone is, and the less there is a possibility of negative repercussions, the bigger jackasses we all are. If group members are needed for an activity and pool of possible matches is 10 people you can't piss them off because you need them. If the pool is 10,000 people (like WoW LFD), then why be nice, they are replaceable. Also, along with the anonymous theme, the more alts we have the more we dilute our social currency and thus can harvest more ill will.

In brief, I honestly don't believe we are any more selfish or have changed a bit in the last 50 years, the only difference is the systems in place reward selfish behavior while in previous games, EQ, FFXI to name a few, the repercussions were such that being a total dickhead could severely harm your ability to advance. As games gain higher populations and cram them into small servers through instancing and lobby based techniques it makes people into bigger jerks. It's just another iteration on the age-old Small Town courtesy versus Big City Jerkwad.