Posted: Feb 2nd 2011 6:20PM organiclockwork said

@YeOldeFool

"There are so many bad, buggy and stupid (Bulletstorm anyone?) games out there but I guess it is ok because smart didn't make them."

For one, Bulletstorm hasn't even been -released- yet. I mean, come on. Couldn't have chosen a better example?

And for many people here, the issue isn't that the games are bad so much as it is Derek's attitude. He acts like he knows everything there is to know about game development and refuses to acknowledge that perhaps the players may be on to a thing or two.

Posted: Feb 3rd 2011 5:26AM Denzo76 said

I counted 15 times he refers to himself in the singular. Not we, not us, not my team...just I, me or my. I'm not a game designer but I was under the impression that it took a few people to make a good game..unless you are Eskil Steenberg.

His game collection is pretty epic, though. Reminded me of what Babbage's used to look like in the late 80's. I miss that store.

But come on, Sony speakers? Are those even THX certified? Can't a PhD afford some Boston Acoustics or Klipsch let alone some B&Ws' or Bang & Olufsens'.

Posted: Feb 3rd 2011 7:26PM TestAXC said

@Denzo76

You are giving him too much credit. His PHD is from a degree mill and he has not even earned a bachelor's, so I cannot see him as reliable even on an education level. Well documented information below:

Posted: Feb 3rd 2011 8:32PM TestAXC said

Or rather, "in my opinion" his PHD is from a degree mill and he has not earned a bachelor's. I don't know that as a matter of fact, but it seems very possible given the information provided.

Stated to avoid the claim of absolute fact and rather to stress that it is my own opinion.

Posted: Feb 4th 2011 4:14PM Avernus said

I've heard very little bad about Derek Smart. I've just read posts by him that make me think ill of him and anything he does.

Betawatch: December 13 - 19, 2014