Posted: Feb 1st 2011 7:37PM Stormwalker said

To clarify, running the Weekly Strike Target gives your character (provided their Alpha Slot is already unlocked) an incarnate component called "Notice of the Well" which is needed to turn an Uncommon Alpha Power into a Rare. Since you need two Rare Alphas to make a Very Rare, which itself requires two more Notice of the Wells, it will take four weeks to reach Very Rare status.

But the level of power it gives makes it worth the effort, and the TFs are fun to run anyway.

Posted: Feb 1st 2011 8:38PM Scarecrowe said

@Stormwalker
Good deal. Thanks for the translation!

Posted: Feb 1st 2011 8:38PM wagonfactor said

this game seems to have done really well over the years. i played back at release and enjoyed it but never really got too far into it. thinkin about giving the free trial a go

Posted: Feb 1st 2011 9:09PM The Ogre said

Joy. Character progression firmly gated behind large-team-only content. Because of this and the move to the abyssmal NCSoft Launcher, I fear my CoH days are soon coming to a close...

Posted: Feb 1st 2011 9:51PM Stormwalker said

@The Ogre Yes, because heaven forbid you should have to team up with other players in a multiplayer game.

Posted: Feb 1st 2011 9:53PM Stormwalker said

@Stormwalker Sorry, I was a bit too sarcastic there.

If you're really that concerned, just wait a bit. Issue 20 will provide ways to get Alpha Rares and Very Rares by yourself.

Posted: Feb 1st 2011 10:05PM Shirogetsune said

@Stormwalker

That has yet to be confirmed. Trials are implied to be team events as well. They are "looking into" something for solo players. If that's the same looking into that's been done for PvP and Bases, forget it.

Posted: Feb 1st 2011 11:29PM patman23 said

@Stormwalker I know you mollified your comment, but I would like to respectfully present my opinion.

There's a difference between teaming and running Task Forces. I've played CoH for nearly seven years, I solo, I team, I PUG, but I've only run maybe 1 Task Force all the way through in all of that time. And it's entirely because I can't guarantee the time required to see it through with a team, since it's hard to coordinate a Task Force that is not a settle down with a large block of time type of event.

I've enjoyed CoH, and will continue to do so. I recognize that Incarnate shard acquisition will be more grindy for me, since it's hard to commit to one of the TFs that drop a specific component. At the moment, the new component is only available through a TF, and I hope that isn't the case forever.

Posted: Feb 1st 2011 9:55PM Sam not Spam said

Its good to see Paragon branching out in terms of playstyle for COH. That being said...?

Given that the Strike Pack/i19.5 contains no playable content and only system stuff, can we wait until i20 to decide if the Rare and Very Rare boosts were meant to be soloable or not? Just like Ultra Mode was ready before Going Rogue and released early accordingly, it could be the Rare and Very Rare boosts plus the Target of the Week were ready but the (hypothetical) soloable method/content for "Notice of the Well" and "Favor of the Well" isn't ready/finished yet.

Posted: Feb 2nd 2011 11:39AM phatbhuda said

They also added a badge for helping 50 teams with the Strike Target after you've gotten your reward.

Who runs the same Task Force 51 times in a single week?! At minimum that's 100-150 hours.

Posted: Feb 2nd 2011 11:40AM phatbhuda said

@phatbhuda I totally read that wrong. I guess it's a running total. That's a little better, lol.

Posted: Feb 2nd 2011 12:57PM Daemodand said

Solo is a valid play style. This is for all intents and purposes level 51 and soloers are being kept from it for no good reason.

I hold my faith in the solo option coming with I20. But if it fails to materialize, the game will have made a major design mistake.

Why I Play: ArcheAge