Posted: Jan 31st 2011 4:37PM jeremys said

@Germaximus Just my opinion: I think the graphics are amazing and blow most MMOs away with them. It can be difficult to gauge the look of an MMO that doesn't get enough advertising and relies on word of mouth with screenshots being taken on a wide range of PCs.

I have a couple videos showing off what I find to be a gorgeous game:

Posted: Jan 31st 2011 2:45PM pcgneurotic said

It also has a really mature feel to it. In a time when it's de rigeur to stuff your game with pop-culture references and hidden in-jokes, VG just quietly gets on with it. There is tons of fun to be had in the game, it's just not based on in-your-face smart-ass jokes and cynical 'hip to be cool' BS.

Posted: Jan 31st 2011 3:37PM Audacious said

@pcgneurotic

You just sold this game for me.

Posted: Feb 1st 2011 3:31AM pcgneurotic said

@Audacious

Bodacious! :)

Posted: Jan 31st 2011 2:51PM Lateris said

SOE- I will but this game for 7 million and relaunch it.

Posted: Jan 31st 2011 2:52PM Lateris said

HAHHA "but"

Posted: Jan 31st 2011 3:16PM Vendayn said

I love VG...four big reasons: Crafting, exploration, the amazing classes and the community.

But I don't subscribe to an MMO (which if I pay money each month, I expect to see patches, even if its just bug fixes) that hasn't been updated in not only months...but almost a year! If SOE updated even once and didn't act like they forgot about it, I would be all over VG.

Posted: Jan 31st 2011 3:24PM Germaximus said

• 1 heart
Well i must say the graphics were always a turn off for me. ;p

Posted: Jan 31st 2011 3:56PM xyna031 said

I might re-try it i tryed trial like 1 or 2 years ago but i was very hooked to AoC back in the days to enjoy the trial.
Im going to download right now and give it ago meh i got nothing to lose.

Posted: Jan 31st 2011 4:43PM OneEyeRed said

How people state the graphics were the worst is beyond me. This game had and still has some of the best graphics out there. That's the least of its issues however. The game still has so much potential but I am thoroughly convinced that SOE does not want it trumping there EQ2 baby. If they (SOE) would just put some time back into this game I would be back in a heart beat.

Posted: Jan 31st 2011 4:45PM jeremys said

I myself read and read and waited and waited, until I bought a new graphics card.

I finally took the plunge and am in love with this game. The graphics are amazing(and I think they even nerfed them since they launched the game - my friend remembers being able to activate different cloud layers). The graphics are not only really good, but it's the style they are in that adds a sense of mature fantasy and accurate scale. The great scale can be seen when on a flying mount high above the ground and everything has a sense of being a real object that all fits together more realistically than a comic book sense of scaling.

I highly recommend anyone to try Vanguard. Plus, maybe if more people are playing it, Sony would put some development, advertising and all-around work into Vanguard again.

Posted: Jan 31st 2011 5:15PM MMOaddict said

I love VG. Yet I hate it at the same time. It's the game I continuously come back to to try out and yet I keep getting stuck in certain level ranges and I eventually move to a game that isn't so hardcore. Perhaps it is the lack of player population at all levels or perhaps it is the very disjointed questing scheme, either way something has to change to KEEP players playing for more than a month.

Secondly, the game needs a huge polish makeover. So many little things need to be tweaked just to make it feel newer. Things like HP bars on enemies actually showing when damage has happened instead of it happening a few seconds later. Or creatures dying when their HP is at 0 apparently, yet they tend to still stay up for a few attacks and THEN die. Very annoying.

Overall though, it IS the unique classes and vast exploration possibilities that really make VG shine. Take those away and I don't think VG would even be around right now.

Posted: Jan 31st 2011 5:48PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
The one MAJOR problem with VANGUARD?

No PVP........./shrug

Posted: Jan 31st 2011 6:16PM kjempff said

I played VG from launch, endured the insane amount of bugs and unfinished content but finally gave up. Came back 2 years later, nothing had really changed except for some bug fixes and ONE raiding zone.

No doubt in my mind, VG was/is the most interesting and innovative mmorpg today, and a true sucessor to Everquest.
Classes are interesting to play. Graphics can still compete with the newest games around (I remember sitting watching the sunset for over an hour). The 3 spheres is a great idea. The world is open as a mmorpg should be. Combat requires tactics and thought and last more than the 10 second crap we see in new games.

However, some people are trying to make it sound better than it is.
The world is still TINY (yes I seen all of it including dungeons and the raid), the spheres have not evolved much, and generally there has been only slight improvements. It has been a while since I tried it, but I been following the game patches and such.

If VG should stand a chance, it needs expansions, it needs game designers with love an vision for VG, it needs promotion, advertising and funding.
This is not likely to happen with SOE who has always had their focus on other games, only letting VG live for as long as it can as it is.
Also, the founders and designers of the game (we all know who they are) are probably never comming back to drive VG forward.
So all in all, the best mmorpg since Everquest is slowly withering away despite all its awesomeness.

Someone win the lottery, buy the game off SOE and hire Brad, then win the lottery again and hire the people needed to make an expansion... With a bit of luck you might not loose all your winnings :)

Posted: Feb 1st 2011 2:17AM Ardwulf said

@kjempff You are the only person I have ever heard call Telon "tiny." I find that unfathomable.

Posted: Feb 1st 2011 4:09PM kjempff said

@Ardwulf Hehe yes tiny is kindda provoking. But take the surface area and compare it to other mmorpgs, and it is rather small. Add to that how little content the area in VG has, then it feels small - Not that I like the way other games cramped too much content into one area. The world is fine for a game launch, but as other mmorps have released expansions in that time, I dare say Telon is small atleast.

Posted: Feb 3rd 2011 2:48AM Ardwulf said

@kjempff Yeah, but it's just... not. If you want to say that there's a low amount of content per square meter of world, okay, I'd agree with that. But I can't see how that corresponds to any synonym of "small." Telon is vastly larger than, say, Azeroth, which in turn is bigger than most other MMO worlds. (In fairness, Azeroth feels a lot bigger than it actually is.) The two Norraths would be exceptions, but those are both long-established, well-supported games and I don't know that games that don't measure up to that standard warrant "tiny."

So I guess I'd be curious to know what specific games have worlds Telon in "tiny" in comparison to. I can think of a few that Telon is smaller than, but "tiny" strikes me as hyperbolic to the point of being flatly misleading.

Posted: Jan 31st 2011 6:45PM Cristian Ceo said

This game is and will always be one of the Greatest!!! Too bad SOE is too blind to see it and i think they will never see it. It's only save would be going f2p.

Posted: Jan 31st 2011 7:15PM Tinsel said

• 1 heart
This poorly worded article gave me a nose bleed.

I can't wait to play more "promises of information"...

Posted: Jan 31st 2011 10:56PM (Unverified) said

It is the only SOE "AAA" game for which I would would pay. But not $15 a month. I like it a lot more than EQ2X or DCUO or SWG (and I'm a Star Wars fan).

Betawatch: December 13 - 19, 2014