Posted: Jan 31st 2011 12:10PM cowboyhugbees said

The exploration factor is huge. One of the reasons people love games like the Legend of Zelda and The Elder Scrolls is because those games reward exploration. Who knows, there may be an awesome set of armor down that hole, or a hidden fairy fountain in that cave, etc.

I really wish MMOs were willing to explain that more. For as much as I love my two mains for the time being (LOTRO and STO), neither of them handle exploration well at all.

Posted: Jan 31st 2011 12:11PM Alarie said

This game is the red headed step child of SOE games. Probably the best of their games, but gets treated the worst.

Posted: Jan 31st 2011 12:34PM Shadanwolf said

The secret about VANGUARD..it offers game play you can't get anywhere else...and the community is the best I have ever encountered.
and SONY...won't acknowledge it exists.

Posted: Jan 31st 2011 1:06PM BigAndShiny said

@Shadanwolf
Best mmo i've ever played

Posted: Jan 31st 2011 12:44PM Titan1 said

Such awesome potential

And like most everything else SOE does, such a waste of awesome potential.

Posted: Jan 31st 2011 11:03PM (Unverified) said

@Titan1
I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks that about SOE.
Potentially great games - poorly managed.

Posted: Jan 31st 2011 12:50PM sauceofmagic said

IMO Vanguard can be safely re-released after a character animation upgrade. Lame character animations is the only thing that would tell you this game is old ;)

Posted: Jan 31st 2011 2:38PM Zantom said

@sauceofmagic

I totally agree. Character animation (and the models themselves) is Vanguards biggest flaw. If not for that, this game would pillage any other MMO in its class. As it stands with the inferior character models this game is better than most.

I may re-sub just thinking about it again... The game is hard to solo and though the world isn't terribly empty now that it is down to one server, most are pretty high level and finding groups to do things can be a problem.

Posted: Jan 31st 2011 3:08PM Saker said

@sauceofmagic
Agree!
But $oE isn't remotely likely to do it, or much of anything. They want this to just fade quietly away.

Posted: Jan 31st 2011 12:52PM Bhagpuss said

The most recent, apposite quote from John Smedley is what he said at SyndCon last year:

" Smed: We’re thinking about specific next steps for Vangaurd, but we’re not shutting it down or anything like that. We want to add more stuff to it. Will we change the business model? That’s the question people keep asking me. Will it go free-to-play? I don’t know – we’ve discussed it. What we’ll decide? I’m not sure yet. We’re going to see where EverQuest II Extended goes. But certainly if we make a decision like that, it won’t be without deciding to add more content to the game."

(source http://www.tentonhammer.com/syndcon10/interviews/john-smedley )

The problem, in my opinion, is that SoE just has too many irons in the fire. Since even EQ2X is no longer flavor of the month over there, Vanguard could be in for a long wait. Fortunately, even as a game in stasis it's still about the best MMO for PvE explorer-types, so there's no reason not to go on reccommending it for new players who have those inclinitaions. There's six to twelve months wonderful gameplay there for anyone willing to go take a look and a lifetime for those that fall in love with it.

Posted: Jan 31st 2011 12:55PM FireMark said

hmmm might check it out while I wait for GW2...

Posted: Jan 31st 2011 1:12PM Lateris said

I would return tot his game if SOE was committed to the game. It is a fantastic MMO-RPG. The world itself is huge.

Posted: Jan 31st 2011 1:41PM aurickle said

@Lateris
That's the whole problem I face. I enjoy the game. There's a lot more to Telon that I would like to explore. But my friends and I won't invest time into the title if there's reason to believe it's going to die. It's all well and good to say that the community is hurting Vanguard's future, but can anyone really blame the community given how SOE has treated the game?

A few years ago, the team was just about a half dozen people. Today, it seems that the team is down to only a couple. That's not very promising for the future.

If Sony actually shows that the game has a future -- if they release some new content, update the character models and animations or anything like that, I'd be back to Vanguard in a heartbeat. Without that, though, I just feel like I'm setting myself up for another Tabula Rasa.

Posted: Jan 31st 2011 1:13PM Dracones said

It's hard to blame SOE for not spending more time on the title. Bad launches are very hard to recover from and while I think Vanguard is a triple A title, it's going to be very very hard to bring players back into the game.

So SOE is going to get a lot more bang for its buck by putting dev resources elsewhere.

Posted: Jan 31st 2011 1:34PM Lazlor said

For some people all they need is a fantastic world to run around in. If there's a nice community and always something to do or see then that could be ideal for many people. All of the bells and whistles or "shtick" that are put into MMO's just distract people from learning to love exploring and community building.

Posted: Jan 31st 2011 1:46PM End Dream said

I really enjoyed the game during my stay and got to level 30-40. Pretty much everything about it was awesome.. except the population which is what caused me to quit. I would easily spend money on it if it went F2P and there was a population.

Posted: Jan 31st 2011 2:16PM Ardwulf said

Great piece. I'd love to see more spotlight on Vanguard.

Posted: Jan 31st 2011 2:22PM Rizmarkie said

I loved Vanguard. It was the spiritual successor to Everquest.

What I loved:
The open world. If you could see it, you could walk (or fly!) there. Top of buildings? yes. Top of mountains? Yes. It was pretty incredible graphically to be flying around such a detailed world and being able to interact with everything! Nothing like it.

Player housing! and BOATS! Making or buying your own boat, and actually using it to sail around the open water was great.

Quests and character development were great. In fact, the world was SO detailed and SO big, that it looks like they ran out of development time or something, but they were on the right track!!

What I didn't like:
It required a BEEFY system and video card to play, otherwise, it could be choppy. It was one big world, but did have "zone lines" that had some load time.

Limited to 6 person group (no real raid content for a while).

I tried playing with a new system (i7, Nvidia GTX295), and there was still some lag issues, but overall, I had lots of fun!

Posted: Jan 31st 2011 2:24PM notinterested said

• Half a heart
Must be that time of year again where all the blog sites try and revitalize this dead game.

Vanguard was the one MMO i was CERTAIN i would love. It has been the exact opposite. FOr everything about the game i love theres 3 ore things i hate.

Most importantly though, about every 6 months the blogospehere will start going on about how Vanguard is coming back to life blah blah. DO NOT BUY INTO THIS. This game is all but dead. The fans will tell you that because the game is so big you never run into anyone, thats crap! Go to the big cities and they are DEAD.

The lowbie zones feel lively but thats a ton of trial accounts and returning players. Most people will never go beyond level 20. Once you leave the lowbie zones its a ghost town everywhere you go.

As a station access customer i dont even bother installing vanguard. Its just too disappointing every time i play. I start out and have a blast then before i know it im all by myself and bored as hell.

I wish SOE would show VG some love but the best you can hope for is a last ditch money grab in the form of an expansion pack.

Posted: Jan 31st 2011 2:38PM Germaximus said

Thanks notinterested. This article made me finally decide to buy the game, its 9.99 which is not bad ya know. Then i found the 14 day free trial tho when i was gonna go look into it and ill play it first.

Ive been interested in this game for awhile, it always manages to pop up into discussions. The graphics look like crap and is the main reason i didnt want to play it but ive been interested and ill finally take a dive and see how the water is.

I also believe what the players say, i dont expect any new content but i do want to see whats there.