Posted: Jan 31st 2011 3:15PM tk421242 said

Did not know you were playing Perpetuum. Any chance of a post about your time in game with that. I am on my first month but have not really played much beyond the tutorial.

Posted: Jan 31st 2011 3:16PM Zuljundwumn said

RoM may be one of the worst experience I had with a MMO. It began great, with a promising dual-class system... But the store is omnipresent and required to do the "interesting stuff". Basically, it felt like the game was crap without it, and pretty inovative with it. But the cost of everyday items is just insane.
And the world feels so weird... Like they put lots of thing together without any coherence.

Posted: Jan 31st 2011 4:21PM jeremys said

@Zuljundwumn

Hmm. I may not be the best one to give you advice, as I'm a self-proclaimed Runes of Magic fanboy.

However, I initially played the game for 9 months without ever paying a dime and enjoyed my time through it all.

I do wish(hope?) that Runewaker continues with care and attention to detail that I feel is present in the Open Beta zones. I enjoy most of the zones up through Chapter 3. The last 3 zones feel a little flat to me. I like some of the gems to be found within the zones, but I think they are markedly flat open terrain with a lot less visible variation than older more interesting zones like Dragonfang Ridge or Aslan. They have also been using smaller building, most of which have no interior. My favorite building has to be the Distillery in Aslan for it's uniqueness, size and ability to go inside it.

I like you comment because it makes me think of a lot of new material that could be worth discussing in the future. Thanks.

Posted: Jan 31st 2011 5:25PM Ezeera said

@Zuljundwumn

You are right. RoM had so much potential when it came out, but with the awful mis-management by Frogster and the way the Cash Shop is setup, you do need to spend at least a few dollars a month to get any real benefit and not be left behind that of your friends/guildmates. I played from a few days after Open Beta until about 2 months ago. I started out totally f2p but learned that if I wanted to run content before it was outdated, I needed to spend some cash.

Many many times players asked for the most needed/popular items to be lowered in price. There are even some very comprehensive postings about how lowering the prices would actually INCREASE sales. Frogster refused to listen. Myself, and I suspect alot of the cash shop players, have moved on to a better product.

Posted: Jan 31st 2011 5:27PM Ezeera said

I should post a correction. I started a few days after open beta started, not after the game went live. I was around at the beginning before most of the quests were even translated.

Posted: Jan 31st 2011 9:39PM mszv said

Wow, that fierce looking (but cute) animal there is mining for you. Who knew?

Posted: Jan 31st 2011 10:25PM TheElvenAssassin said

@mszv

Just don't try to take away his mining tool or he'll bite you. :D

Posted: Feb 1st 2011 7:12PM Solanum83 said

Hey Jeremy, I've been enjoying your RoM blog for several months, but this is my first time posting. I really appreciate your thoughtful discussions on RoM and MMOs in general.

Crafting is really a great way to change gears when questing/leveling gets a little tiresome. Supposedly some massive overhauls are in the works for RoM this year, and I truly hope that the crafting system hasn't been forgotten amidst all the cries for "class balancing". If the developers turned it into something more akin to the crafting in Lord of the Rings Online (which I also play), I'd be in heaven. If you haven't yet tried LotRO, I highly recommend it, even if just for the crafting. They have a great crafter inter-dependence system in place and a healthy economy for valuable, crafted goods (not to mention tons of recipes).