January has felt like Superhero Month here at Massively after weeks of DC Universe Online launch hype and City of Heroes interviews and promos. But this week belongs to Cryptic's Champions Online, which officially boarded the free-to-play bus on Tuesday and launched a new game update and trailer alongside its freemium overhaul. To celebrate, we rounded up everything you need to know about Champions' F2P conversion and the top reasons the lifetime subscription is still worth it. And our podcasters got their spandex on for a voice-to-voice interview with Shannon "Poz" Posniewski, Champs' Executive Producer.
Hit the break for a look at this week's other top stories!
- RIFT beta 5 will be twice as big, The "must-see" list for beta five, New CG cinematic
Trion continued its massive marketing push for RIFT with new trailers and betas.
- Earthrise launch roadmap reveals a commitment to continued development
The February-slated sci-fi sandbox promised plenty of features are on the way.
- Tyria Evolved: Massively's analysis of the Guild Wars 2 Guardian
We got an in-depth look at the newest GW2 class reveal.
- Sansha incursions have begun in EVE Online
EVE's Incursion expansion finally fired off the first round of Sansha attacks.
- Battlestar Galactica fires up its FTLs for an in-game trailer
Bigpoint's upcoming sci-fi MMO dazzled fans with a new video.
- World of Tanks kicks off European and North American open beta
Wargaming.net launched an open beta for tank-minded players.
- The Perfect Ten: The 10 people you meet in MMO hell
Justin rounded up the 10 most annoying MMO player types.
- Smedley entices us with the first image from PlanetSide Next, Smedley tweets PlanetSide Galaxy transport image
SOE's president teased several goodies from PlanetSide Next.
- TERA class videos explode from Frogster!
Frogster unveiled eight character trailers for its upcoming MMO.
- Free for All: The difference between East and West
Beau analyzed the MMO style differences across the continents.
- UnDead Online coming for your braaaaaaaains
JumpCore Productions announced its upcoming zombie MMO.
- The Tattered Notebook: Why Velious is so important
Karen pondered why this next EverQuest II expansion matters more than others.
- SWTOR unveils the Taral V flashpoint
We got an eyeful of flashpoint videos!
- Damion Schubert philosophizes about SWTOR's death penalty
BioWare discussed the dos and don'ts of MMO death penalties.
- DC Universe Online is SOE's fastest selling game
The superhero game trounced Sony's older records.
- Blizzard strikes gold sellers with PayPal notices
Blizzard attempted a crackdown on gold sellers who use PayPal.
- The Lawbringer: A primer on private servers
WoW Insider discussed the history and legalities of private emulators.
- Blizzard on 2200 rating PvP weapon availability
Blizzard blamed PvP gear delays on low numbers of players pursuing equivalent endgame PvE gear.