Posted: Jan 30th 2011 10:15AM Lctwo said

Well done Beau, as always. I had a great time watching the livestream feed during its creation (i.e. live) and always appreciate your willingness to answer viewers' questions.

Also, when you pronouce my name as ick-twow (actual pronunciation is L-see-2), it makes me LOL everytime. That alone will keep me coming back. Keep up the good work man.

Posted: Jan 30th 2011 10:19AM wagonfactor said

very cool. i love to see these old games still around. im dieing .... DIEING for turbine to resurrect asherons call 2. aaaaah nostalgia /sigh

Posted: Jan 30th 2011 1:22PM meanieme said

Oddly enough, I tried rekindling some of those fond memories from beta's 2&3 of AC about 2 weeks ago.
Sadly, for me anyway, it's a memory that should have just stayed a fond memory.

Posted: Jan 30th 2011 5:38PM Haukeye said

you know Beau, It would be nice to see you play games without using your real name so you get popularity due to your being a massively columnist. You end up getting more help and freebies a normal player would not get.
It would be nice to just see a you play without using your own name and actually see what real people go through playing games. You talk about not getting your hand held but every game you write up about you use your name and get your hand held the whole time.

Posted: Jan 30th 2011 5:52PM Beau Hindman said

@Haukeye From the very beginning, the purpose of this column was to have readers play along with me, and then leave comments about the week.

In fact, if you look back at my first several columns, you will see that happening. The point was to give developers a look into an open, community discussion about their game, after we spent time playing it. What ended up happening more recently is that people tend to use this column as some sort of review, to either convince them or not to try the game out. I have not had a player from the Massively readership join me in game for a long time (during the week I was playing it.) But, I have had many, many readers play the game after they read my column. I literally have people request that I convince them one way or the other, yet that was never the purpose of the column. The purpose was to play the game with a bunch of readers -- that's why it was often listed under "Live Event" or "Hands On."

In other words, I have always listed who I was so others could join me. It didn't take long before the players in the community would find me anyway.

In the end, it doesn't matter. I'm still playing the game and still seeing content. "Normal" players can see this same content, and have the same interactions with the community, I promise.

It's a lot like a press tour or preview, but actually less than. I have yet to see anyone say that they had a problem with us doing those.

Beau

Posted: Jan 30th 2011 6:48PM Nef said

@Haukeye Actually, in AC's case, the player base really is quite friendly. I started up a new account there a few months back, having not played in many years, and had someone run up to me and give me a full set of good gear, buffs and took me dungeon delving -- for no reason.

Posted: Jan 30th 2011 6:25PM Solleks said

Ahh, Asheron's Call. My first MMO and the first game that got me into online gaming. Started playing it with my dad when I was 10, never had more fun in an mmo since then. I think I might go back to it and see what's new. Hopefully people still play it. lol. I recommend this MMO to anyone. It's got lots of depth, lots of character customization. Countless spells/skills. HUGE world. I takes about 5+ hours to run from one end to the other if you don't use portals to travel.

Just don't mind the aged graphics, and this game is awesome.

Posted: Jan 30th 2011 7:04PM Haukeye said

Beau was not trying to be derogatory, I was just thinking it would be like a fresh player in the game. But I see your point. And yeah I played AC in beta and also the day it came out. I played for a couple years and loved the game. I wish companies would at least try to make a game with some of the old style models in place.

Posted: Jan 30th 2011 7:16PM Beau Hindman said

@Haukeye All good man! To be honest, it's been more than interesting to see how the reaction to the column has changed over the last year.

I see your point, though. That point of view is still there. I mean, I'm not surrounded by players or anything like that. The trend has been for one (or a few) player/s to make contact with me, and we run around together.

They all haven't been as knowledgeable as Tao! lol

Beau

Posted: Jan 30th 2011 11:05PM skylatron said

This is going to be biased, since I play the game and all (ruhelos), but I think your review was spot-on.

Tao is a really knowledgeable player - I knew he would probably pick you up, and hoped you would get to see some of the awesome stuff (and you did, Aerbax being one of them). There are a lot of great players in the game. The community is one of the most unique features that we have. Even when server populations were higher, it was always a "Cheers" environment when you logged on. Nothing beats that, and you certainly don't get it in new games.

I encourage anyone to drop by the forums and see what we're about, then pick up the trial. AC is still going strong with well over 125 *content* updates - we still get them every month. Our older graphics let us do things that new graphics wouldn't allow - fighting 50 monsters at once, a dynamic color system for our loot, special movement features such as "slide" casting. It's definitely unique and still fun after over 10 years of playing :)

Posted: Jan 31st 2011 12:14AM Solleks said

Nice, may I ask what server you guys are on? My old server was Frostfell when I was playing back in '99-05. But dunno if any of my friends still play.

Posted: Jan 31st 2011 4:31AM pcgneurotic said

I wanted to try AC again a couple of months ago, after treading something else about it here. Unfortunately I ran into a technical problem, whereby the game can't/won't load or progress beyond the second blue flask/bar (I forget all exactly what it was now). Apparently it's an unresolved problem that's been around for years, and I was quite disappointed tbh. I have happy memories of my few hours in-game over the years!

Posted: Jan 31st 2011 10:42AM SnarlingWolf said

The game does leave it for you to figure some things out. The facility hub that you asked "How was I supposed to know?" is found simply by looking through the inventory that the game gave you and reading the descriptions on the items. One of them says that it takes you to the facility hub when used.

They don't use signs, or arrows over an NPC's head, or a map that highlights the area you need to be in. This game was pre-megahandholding that all of the major MMOs use now (and to be honest I hate).

I will agree they could get more information across to a new player, and in a cleaner fashion. I don't think that will be really possible until they have a UI overhaul though.

Posted: Feb 1st 2011 2:40AM Kurremkarmerruk said

I just started up my first character on Perfect World. I'm finally glad to see a game that I can play with you Beau!

I'm Yrrkoon on Archosaur. I searched your username and found nothing. I would love to play with you this week. :)