Posted: Jan 28th 2011 1:31PM Slayblaze said

I think my advice would be to at least try out those things at endgame that don't appeal to you, such as the dungeon raiding and pvp. Oftentimes there will be something there that actually will grab you after a while, and you get one of those "ah-HA!" moments where you suddenly see why so many people enjoy an aspect of the game that previously held little interest to you. Sometimes you need to stick with something for a while and and delve down several layers below the surface, as there are often layers of game mechanics beyond your initial impressions.

I believe what most people do who don't enjoy endgame in mmo's is either to create an alt and just go back to enjoy the leveling process, maybe in a different starting area this time or a different unexplored class combination. Or, just try out a different mmo, which is what I've been doing the past few years now. There are just so many good mmo's out there and many of them are F2P or have converted from P2P into a free model so they're easy to at least try out. Either way (alts or different mmo) you get a new, fresh, different path to experience.

But really if you love your current game I would certainly first try to exhaust all its possibilities before moving on.

Posted: Jan 28th 2011 1:34PM Pewpdaddy said

Typically for me, the game doesnt even start until the end game. Your "growing" your toon the whole way up.

Once I hit the cap I start gearing up, reading up on higher level dungeons, so I can contribute when I run Sammoth Gul or whatever I may choose. Once geared up I prefer to jump right into raiding. I'm in with a good group at the moment. We all have families and whatnot but still manage to slap together some vent shenanigans(read raids) once or twice a week. It's good stuff. No BG for me yet, but I've done Watcher, some of Dar Narbugud, and a few others. Looking forward to Barad Guldur, hopefully we can get rolling in there again before RoI comes out.

Posted: Jan 28th 2011 1:38PM godot9 said

First!

Actually, I sympathize. In many MMO's this is where players then start to seriously work on tradeskills if they want to get away from the grind - reputation grinding, legendary grinding, alt. grinding, raid-grinding for gear... In LOTRO, some of my kinship have been hunting rare/unusual things to furnish their homes.

In WoW, people now do the achievement grind, since some of them are unusual or difficult to finagle.

And there is always becoming a sage and helping others with their grind, with information, etc.

Good hunting!
-Zaftig the Golddigger

Posted: Jan 28th 2011 2:31PM Ocho said

This is a website of raiders. I, like you Justin, am not of the raiding variety. I don't like the treadmill feel of it, and would only do it so I could see more content, but doing so sacrifices so much time and enregy that I'm not sure if the ends justifies it.

Posted: Jan 28th 2011 2:55PM TheElvenAssassin said

@Ocho I agree. I would much rather be exploring than raiding and raids on instances can really old really, really fast.

Posted: Jan 28th 2011 2:45PM MrsAngelD said

I totally get this article, My husband and I both have 65's and for a while we worked on LI's which we both have pretty sweet looking at the moment. We did go back and finish some of the epic story, both have finished VOL I but VOL II is eluding us due the the grouping requirements of so many instances. We tried rolling alt's but for some reason I"m just not finding it as fun to re-live content I've already done and my alt's seems to have stalled. Finally we just decided to cancel our sub's for now and wait until they add more content.

My brother in law has been a big WOW player for years and with nothing else on the horizon at the moment (because we are patiently awaiting GW2, well with as much patience as we can muster after 2-3yrs) we finally decided to give in and give it a try. So at the moment were both playing that.

But I'm sure we will be back in Middle Earth at some point, but atm I can't see paying a subscription to log in and just do skirmishes when I can do that for free.

Posted: Jan 28th 2011 4:00PM cowboyhugbees said

Landroval! Woo!

The thought of getting to 65 frightens me, but frankly, that's a LONG ways off for me.

Posted: Jan 28th 2011 4:15PM Platypus Man said

I never stick with anything long enough to have a max level character anyway... my attention span is too low and my alt-itis too serious. The last time I had a max-level character was in DAoC... almost 10 years ago. :P

Posted: Jan 28th 2011 4:28PM Nerves said

For me, PvMP was something I didn't enjoy until about 6 months after reaching level cap, now It's a major part of my gameplay. Grouping in the moors is a challenge, and you'll get better at your class fast out there, or die repeatedly.

Your first goal should be to complete every instance at least once. Seeing all the content was a big goal of mine, and I've beat everything but the ferndur guy and LT now (1 encounter which was over quickly). Keep an eye out for everything! Old level 50 stuff - carn dum and old BG, rift, moria instances, etc etc etc. Even if you do 1 new instance a day, you've got quite a lot of entertainment there, and lots of virtues awarded.

Posted: Jan 28th 2011 4:49PM lordsoth said

What gets me, is these people who play 24x7 for a few months and them complain that they have reached the endgame.

The final ding (65) is not the endgame; the final ding is when Turbine stops further development and closes down the server.

We play for three hours Friday Night as a group, and I get a few hours in a week when my wife isn't watching. I have been playing for a year and I am up to level 41; and it has been very enjoyable.

Our group has a policy that everybody must be within 3 levels of each other; so it keeps everybody honest.

By the time I get thru mirkwood and level 65; the level will probably be 75 or something; and I will have another year of play on top of next years.

People just need to slowdown the play to the speed that the content is being released.

I see a huge future for LOTRO. We got along way to go to get to Mordor. After that they can buy the rights to the Similarium and Lost Tales and do Age 1,Age 2 and the Undying Lands across the sea.

Forget Sauron; im waiting to pick a fight with Morgoth himself !

Posted: Jan 28th 2011 4:49PM Djinn said

Never having been at level cap (I don't count getting my main to 55 in LotRO a week before they increased the cap) I don't know what I would do. I'm in the same boat as Justin. I like to take my time and do all the activities. I'm also an altoholic. I'd like to try the raids (assuming I ever get to level cap) but I wonder if I'll be "allowed". I'm not big into having the best gear and stats and so many people nowdays are gearchecking, etc. But even if I could raid, I wouldn't want to do them over and over. Probably try everything once and then repeat here and there if a raid appealed to me. Ultimately there's "everything else" :)

Posted: Jan 28th 2011 6:07PM Graill440 said

• Half a heart
Even though i have a lifetime sub for this now Endless Trial game and its cash shop, i simply cant stand the direction the uninspired, lethargic, unskilled, unimaginative developers have taken the lore of this world.

One that should have been in turmoil from day one is nothing but a lifeless pve world, the pvp put in as a sidethough is as dead as the remaining servers.

I simply have to remove this title as the direction it continues to move is continually downward and stagnant. Even if the clueless devs were to fix LOTR and turn it into what it should be, it would be too late as the masses have moved on.

No amount of spin can hide the same small number of folks on from time to time, empty servers, empty Ettens, empty forums. But of course we can look forward to the "well the servers rock from 5pm to 7 pm", laughable.

With the few players that stick around the boring pve play leveling its a shame other real players arent there to congratulate them in a more fitting way....."ding" indeed.

Posted: Jan 28th 2011 6:27PM Nerves said

@Graill440

I don't know what you're smoking. My server is full. Multi-raid battles in the moors, and lots of people around all the time. If you're gonna criticize the game, at least know a little about it's current state. There are lots of things to criticize, to be sure, but what you listed certainly aren't among them, or so vaguely eluded to that anyone not intimately familiar with said game couldn't even guess at your meaning. Troll somewhere else.

Posted: Jan 28th 2011 6:42PM jastani said

First thing is to play a bit of clean-up.

1. Knock out as many slayer deeds as you can (without losing your sanity) to max out your virtues. Also, helping other players at the lower levels with their random quests will save you from mega-boredom while you rack up some killcounts, give you a chance to make new friends, and help smooth their journey as well. Win-win.

2. Go through any pending epic chapters. I prefer to maintain only one checkpoint chapter per volume, instead of having gaps in the story that Turbine allows players to do.

3. Upgrade any equipped LI legacies to Tier 6 where necessary.

4. Level up any crafting you may have to Supreme.

5. Join any Filikul turtle runs when you can. Always good to have a lv60 1st Ager hanging around while you work towards getting the right lv65 LI 2nd Ager setup.

After that, it's all grinding Grand Stairs, Sword Halls, etc. :D

Posted: Jan 28th 2011 7:05PM Nerves said

@jastani
It really doesn't have to be. Take a stand against repeating the same instance over and over again. I haven't run GS in ages, and I'm happier for it. You may not get the medallions per hour that someone else might get, but less chance of burnout.

Posted: Jan 28th 2011 7:10PM gloomforge said

Don't be afraid to pick up a set of the radiance armor now. Even though that stat is going away, many of the armor sets will still be quite good without it. There will always be better gear down the road but, but that doesn't mean you should deny yourself now. Same goes for jewelry upgrades. Find a few shinies you want and try and go for it. Even if you don't want to raid, there are some nice things to be had out of the 6 and 3 person instances.

The first age weapon is also good advice, especially since you a captain. Most that I know have a 1st age buffstick since a few of the bonuses go higher on the 1st age weapons than the 2nd or 3rd ages.

You already mentioned it, but knock out some of those virtues and finish up your class deeds. This is also a good time to get caught up on the epics. Don't sweat the loss of xp from questing and mob killing. There will be plenty more to be had when the next expansion comes out and the level cap gets bumped up.

Finish off some of your reputation levels as well. Some allow you to barter for a port to that region which can be very convenient.

Posted: Jan 28th 2011 7:35PM mszv said

What a beautiful post, timely, wonderful.

Some of us don't want to PvP or raid. We just don't. So for us the journey, that's what's important, that and the exploration.

I've got to start LoTRO again. i have a lifetime subscription, which I think still translates into something with free to play. I just haven't been around in a long time.

Have you thought about leveling some more characters, different classes, to see how different the experience is?

Again - wonderful post, which so resonated with me.

Posted: Jan 28th 2011 8:43PM DiscoJer said

No offense, but you are basically saying that grinding out deeds (by simply killing hundreds of the same mob) and LIs (which is just awful) is a viable endgame?

Uh, no, it's about as fun as watching paint dry. You don't even have the "challenge" of fighting something anymore, just pure grinding,

Pretty much the only thing to do in LOTRO after hitting the cap is to start an alt. Which gets boring, because there is only one leveling path is so many places. From 1-15 you have choices, but then from 16-20 it's basically West Bree. And while you have the choice of ND or LL for 20 to 32, from 32 it's pretty much only Evendim.

Posted: Jan 28th 2011 10:26PM Oneiromancer said

When I hit the level cap in LOTRO I finished off the quests in Mirkwood, and then decided to let my subscription last for one more month. I finished off low-level quests (especially the Epic quests I hadn't finished the last time I hit the level cap during Moria), did dailies, and ran skirmishes. I was getting pretty tired of them by the time my subscription ran out.

After LOTRO went F2P I came back and mostly fooled around with new characters. All I really wanted to do on my max-level character was the new content in Enedwaith, but I wasn't ready to either buy the quest pack or pay for the VIP plan. Some day soon, I'll fire up LOTRO again for at least a month. I do want to run through Enedwaith before Isengard comes out.

Posted: Jan 29th 2011 3:22AM jastani said

Yeah, that's the thing with some of the gameplay in LOTRO that occasionally bothers/frustrates me. They seem to be designed as time sinks for the sake of delaying players from running out of things to do. It's a common thing in most MMO's, but fortunately I think LOTRO provides everyone with multiple ways of going about their business, whether they are raiders, crafters, or just plain like to explore Middle Earth. Especially for those that are familiar with the novels.

Global Chat: Doom and WAAAGH!

Posted on Jul 22nd 2014 8:00PM