Posted: Jan 28th 2011 1:06PM Enikuo said

Would you consider including a small references to the three game screenshots you use in the banner for each installation of your column? I always enjoy your articles, even though I don't roleplay at all (I'm an interloper), and you always have a screenshot that piques my interest.

Posted: Feb 7th 2011 8:02PM Eliot Lefebvre said

@Enikuo I'll put that on my to-do for the anniversary column. Sometimes I myself don't recall, and a lot of them come from assorted screenshots just lying around my Fraps folder.

Posted: Jan 28th 2011 1:59PM Brianna Royce said

These archetype columns are some of my favorite, though I'm always sad when there's no LOST character. :p

So after I proofed this one for Eliot, I complained that the column lacked female examples of the Errant, and he joked back that women aren't very big on chasing white whales. In thinking about it, I'm not sure he's wrong. The errant's tale is one of domestication. His lesson is very often to put down his sword and settle down (or if it's a tragedy, to fail at the "after," which still teaches us the lesson). Consequently, the female versions of this archetype are often placed into male roles and forced to learn the same lesson. Some examples:

Brienne of Tarth (A Feast for Crows) -- a rare female knight in a world of men, she's on a guilt-inspired quest to find and rescue a little girl.

Ellie Arroway (Contact) -- a female astronomer who's guilty about her father's death and is driven to find extraterrestrial life in the face of ridicule and danger.

Flying Snow (Hero) -- a female assassin who is so obsessed with avenging her father's death that she attacks and kills her own lover for getting in her way (before she kills herself out of guilt).

Eowyn (LOTR) -- a warrior maiden who spends most of her time on a quest for freedom and then on a quest for death before failing and deciding playing house with Faramir isn't so bad after all.

Ryba (The Fall of Angels) -- a former starship captain whose glimpse of the future compels her along on a quest to build an empire, even though that means alienating and then driving off everyone she loves and knows.

Every single one of them is in a stereotypically male role at the start, and I'm hard-pressed to think that's a coincidence. I suppose that women who are in stereotypically female roles aren't, by definition, in need of domestication. Although if someone can think of a mother who goes on a rampage to avenge her baby... yeah that'd do it. :D

Posted: Jan 29th 2011 6:50AM JuliusSeizure said

@Brianna Royce

*glances up at the second image in the main post* Yeah, uh, I can think of at least one. >_>

Make My MMO: December 14 - 20, 2014