Posted: Jan 27th 2011 2:14PM Raeshlavik said

*sits back and sagely nods...

"Impressive. I knew my faith in you, Trion, was not misplaced. You have earned yourself a staunch ally this day."

Posted: Jan 27th 2011 2:31PM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
@Raeshlavik

NERD ALERT! NERD ALERT!!

Posted: Jan 27th 2011 3:44PM Utakata said

@(Unverified)

NERD RAGE ALERT!!

Posted: Jan 27th 2011 2:20PM relgoth said

Eye candy is nice and all. But i think their concentration should be on the mechanics. And so far from what ive seen they are doing well at it. Im still not ready to buy the game just yet but ill probably be playing everytime a beta is offered for more consideration.

We must run moar tests!

Posted: Jan 27th 2011 2:23PM Valdur said

Yeah! awesome trailer :)

Posted: Jan 27th 2011 2:36PM Nyan said

The response to this game is surprisingly positive bye the majority of the MMO community. Trion has proved you don't need to re-innovate the genre to succeed. You just need to deliver a polished product at launch, listen to the feedback of the community and act swiftly on it. Big thumbs up for them :)

Posted: Jan 27th 2011 2:41PM Arkanaloth said

nice trailer... very nice, I could run a pretty mean RPG in that world. I certainly wait to see more on this game.

Posted: Jan 27th 2011 3:03PM Interitus said

I enjoy cinematic trailers. They are great fun. The problem though is most of the time they never give an accurate idea of what gameplay is like. And it's fine that they don't, but really you can't at all base a game off a trailer or even it's intro movie.

Posted: Jan 27th 2011 3:58PM Vestas said

@Interitus

The trailer does a much better job of demonstrating theme and intent of purpose of the game then any of the in game cinematics which are considerably lower quality (arguably of poor quality). This trailer presents both sides in the proper context (neither is good/evil). It presents the concepts of Rifts (a core gameplay component), it presents the idea that one side can create havok on the other by opening rifts (something you can do in game exactly as presented here). It demonstrates 3 available class choices. It also demonstrates that you can change your "soul" at will in game, another core concept to the gameplay. It also presents that Rifts can be deadly.

While it doesn't show direct gameplay, it shows theme and intent very well.

Posted: Jan 27th 2011 4:51PM Tom in VA said

@Interitus

I agree with you. I greatly enjoyed the CGI trailers for Warhammer Online -- the game though? Not much at all. The WO trailers also showed "theme and intent" just fine and were fun to watch; but the game itself was pretty marginal.

I am somewhat interested in Rift (though definitely not its PvP), but I am wary of the game and will not buy it until I've seen a number of player-written reviews following its release.

Posted: Jan 27th 2011 3:07PM Dumac said

The good thing? The setting of this trailer is an actual ingame location. The bad thing? Nothing else is like that :(

Posted: Jan 27th 2011 3:14PM Nenene said

So my first impression of Guardians from playing a few hours in their starting zone was correct then.

Ugh.

Posted: Jan 27th 2011 4:27PM Valentina said

Cool video!

Posted: Jan 27th 2011 4:42PM Sharuk said

Awesome trailer.

Posted: Jan 27th 2011 5:15PM Graill440 said

Guardian scum

Posted: Jan 27th 2011 5:28PM jmerriex said

WHAT? Gaurdians win? F' THAT!

Posted: Jan 27th 2011 5:30PM Randomessa said

I don't often have praise for CG cinematics for upcoming games, in large part because the CG trailer usually comes ages before we get to see much in the way of actual gameplay (Warhammer, SWTOR). Still, I adore the silly things because they get me excited the way a movie gets me excited.

If a CG trailer must be done, I think this is the way to do it: we've all had plenty of opportunity to see the actual game in motion for ourselves - now let's bring on the hype, pick a side, a soul, etc.

*cough*Guardian scum*cough*

Posted: Jan 27th 2011 5:55PM daras said

Honestly speaking I'm pretty burned out on the fantasy genre of mmos. With that said, this cinematic is a pretty exiting, compelling and generally awesome depiction of Rift's universe. Once I get that fantasy itch (which I inevitably will), I'll be sure to scratch it with this game :)

Posted: Jan 27th 2011 6:32PM cic said

Oh wow, they got Ron Perlman to star in their trailer!

Posted: Jan 27th 2011 6:44PM Jade Effect said

This is typical Hollywood stuff:

(1) handsome heroic guy gets chased by evil-looking minions

(2) Oh noes, the heroic guy is in danger! But does he panic? No, he lures the minions to chit chat, then delivers his terrific one-liner comeback

(3) Heroic guy uses a cheesy device, turns the table and narrowly escapes the clutches of the minions!

(4) Minions get their butts kicked and Heroic Guy (he's so awesome now, so his name is capitalized) swings in with a stylish maneuver to save the day!

(5) Camera pans to the distance, showing dangers in the horizon.