Posted: Jan 26th 2011 7:45PM Baromega said

As long as there is no experience lost upon dying, I'm fine. I'm also not a fan of long debuffs that make my character useless against anything if I choose to auto-res to a city/graveyard (assuming there's some type of spirit walking system). I hate feeling like I'm wasting time in a game where I'm literally paying for that time.

Posted: Jan 26th 2011 8:05PM MuchmoreGaming said

@Baromega "As long as there is no experience lost upon dying, I'm fine. I'm also not a fan of long debuffs that make my character useless against anything if I choose to auto-res to a city/graveyard"

I completely agree on both points :D

In reading the devs post though, he failed to actually answer what it would be like. So alas, no new information :(

Here's to hoping we start getting some solid answers on this game soon - way too much speculation going on right now.

-Muchmore

Posted: Jan 26th 2011 8:18PM Seldra said

@Baromega

Can't say it better than that.

Posted: Jan 26th 2011 8:37PM JonBuck said

@Baromega Long ago I'd finally hit level 5 in EverQuest. Then I wandered off from my group (or perhaps accidentally zoned, I don't recall) and got killed by some wandering mob. And I lost that level. It was one of the most discouraging things I'd ever experienced in a game.

I've been "knocked out" several times in a mission instance in DCUO. My stuff takes a durability hit and needs repair, which can cost quite a bit. But as long as I don't lose XP, I'm good. Even CoH's XP Debt system was okay.

Posted: Feb 2nd 2011 12:13AM eyeball2452 said

@Baromega

I would've agreed in the past. I liked the death penalty in WoW that allowed you to do more exploring or try harder content without fear of losing XP, gold or gear up on dieing.

However, I think I'd much prefer something like CoH now that I've matured as an MMO player. It wasn't as much exp loss as it was collecting less new XP because of a previous death. People need a reason to try harder, player better and care more about their in game actions. A tougher death penalty would reduce the quantity of players, but it would also improve the quality I think.

Posted: Jan 26th 2011 8:09PM DancingCow said

I agree with everything Damion said and it only confirms my confidence in what they're doing.

I've played games where the death penalty wasn't balanced and it does encourage players to engage in dysfunctional behaviours which kill the fun factor.

Posted: Jan 26th 2011 8:22PM Jade Effect said

I agree with Mr Schubert's assessment that players should be challenged by game content, instead of handed stupid punishments.

One of the more frustrating death penalty system I've experienced is the stackable debuff in Guild Wars. Each time you die, you get an additional 15% penalty to your hp and energy (up to a maximum of 60%). It was a system to discourage suicidal rushes to wear down the mobs, but it only made it more likely players will fall into a downward spiral of death penalty hell. In the end, a group of players would disband because everyone has died so much it's impossible to keep going.

Fortunately, ArenaNet realized the system just wasn't very fun and created items later to remove the debuff.

Posted: Jan 26th 2011 8:47PM DevilSei said

@Tempes Magus

To be fair, Guild Wars death penalty is also easily removable, and the difference in max health only gets bad when it starts to get high up there, plus it all can be wiped clean with a simple warp to an outpost through the map.

Its a way to say "Hey, warp back to town, rethink a little, then hop right back in!", and I've rarely had a moment in the game where I couldn't bounce right back.

Posted: Jan 26th 2011 9:47PM DevilSei said

@DevilSei

It is removable via gaining experience. It only is removed by a large chunk when killing bosses due to the moral boost.

specifically.
Experience (PvE): Gaining 75 experience points will remove 1% DP.

Posted: Jan 27th 2011 6:12AM pcgneurotic said

I like the XP Debt system myself. Nice balance.

Posted: Jan 27th 2011 7:21AM Kaoss said

• 1 heart
why is that screenie so terribad?

Posted: Jan 27th 2011 1:08PM RogueJedi86 said

@Kaoss

It's a screencap from the Warzones trailer, that's why.

Posted: Jan 27th 2011 3:20PM SocksForYou said

I can appreciate a mild to moderate death penalty (something like durability loss or a short corpse run) if it's consistent with the difficulty of the content.

One of the things that bugged me about STO at launch was the content wasn't challenging whatsoever AND there was no death penalty, so I never felt pushed to actually use consumables or hunt for better equipment to keep myself alive.

I know it's not an MMO, but one of the things that made Demons Souls so engrossing is you really, really didn't want to die because of the "penalties" involved. I'm not even the kind of person who plays games on the toughest difficulties but the tension and challenge level in DS was just fantastic.

I guess Eve is a good example. Even if you're just a newb running missions there's a real consequence to taking on a particularly large or tough group of AI opponents. Every new module or skill you get actually has value in keeping your ship in one piece.

Posted: Jan 31st 2011 11:39PM Cheith said

Personally I am a great believer in reasonable death penalties to stop those who like to just run headlong into things without thinking about them. If you are careless you should suffer.

I would agree with the previous poster that EVE has a good mix - you can still get your stuff back (or at least the part that has not blown up).
C.

The Daily Grind: Should museums preserve MMOs?

Posted on Oct 1st 2014 8:00AM