Posted: Jan 26th 2011 8:59PM Tovrin said

For GOD'S SAKE TURBINE! You have two games linked to the one account. And you have a third on the way. Why won't you introduce security tokens/authenticators? If you have one on an account, it should counteract the vast majority of hacks/keyloggers that you encounter on a simple username and password system.

And I know that people out there that say "account security" is your responsibilities. Obviously they don't have 10 year olds. All it takes is your kid coming back with some new virus on a USB stick and BAM! Even the best virus protection can not protect you from "day one" attack.

Authentication are these recovery procedures should only be needed for the very, very unlucky few.

Posted: Jan 26th 2011 11:12PM Pingles said

I got an email a few months ago that there was activity on my account.

Even though I quit over a year ago.

And have NEVER had LOTRO installed on my current PC.

When I contacted Turbine about it I got the usual "Don't give your friends your account info or buy gold!" In their Security forum it actually says that accounts have ONLY been hacked due to mistakes by the user. I wish they could tell me the mistake I made.

They have issues with their security.

Posted: Jan 27th 2011 12:11AM Scarecrowe said

Hmmm. I thought Codemasters was only involved in the EU version of LOTRO. Does this have any relevance for the US?

Posted: Jan 27th 2011 1:59AM Balraw said

@Scarecrowe Yes Codemasters deal with the EU side of Lotro. No this wont directly help anyone in the US but then not everyone who visits this site is from the US so the story still has relevance.

I suppose people with US accounts who get compromised could point it out to Turbine and say something along the lines of if Codemasters can do this why can't you. Increased pressure from the user base may put some pressure on Turbine to change their policy in this regard (probably not but you never know)

Posted: Jan 27th 2011 6:06AM pcgneurotic said

@Scarecrowe, Balraw

I imagine Turbine are watching to see how the Codies' programme pans out. I also imagine that they've considered and abandoned Blizzard's plug-in key idea already (possibly as too costly?). Which is a shame, because DDO and LOTRO are very dear to me and I'd HATE if anything happened to those accounts. My WoW account was hacked twice, but meh.

Come on Turbine, get your thumbs out of your @sses and give us some solid peace of mind!

Posted: Jan 27th 2011 9:42AM Daerin said

@Scarecrowe

Turbine would have to actually give a damn about something other than their players' money. The whole F2P conversion process drew them away from caring about the players and their apparent new found succe$$ seems to have convinced them they don't need to care. A rollback policy would take some amount of money and effort they don't care to spend.

Posted: Jan 27th 2011 8:11AM Nepentheia said

For players who play on Turbine's US servers it is deeply frustrating, demoralizing and demotivating to see Codemasters have a much better, pro-consumer policy on their EU servers for the same game.

There are quite a few players who hope Turbine will adopt this policy Very Soon™!

A blog was posted on the Codemasters Community Team's Blog, by Sincilbanks, the Customer Services Manager at Codemasters Online. He wrote about Codemasters new Hacked Account Restart Programme. It's definitely worth a read!

Posted: Jan 27th 2011 9:12AM veritas1 said

People could always create a new f2p account on codemasters from the US, it is possible. I've done it, and I live in Canada.

Betawatch: October 18 - 24, 2014