Posted: Jan 25th 2011 8:13AM Yellowdancer said

I think Eurogamer had an interview...the choice came down to fix the voice chat & UI or stop the PS3 version from crashing every 5 to 10 minutes....Most of this was due to the new UI they installed like the same day they announced the new release date. The PS3 version is now stable so you know who won the argument. So now we have a filler UI. I'm sure the update will fix what's there.

I personally don't chat unless my group wants me to. I usually play an hour before bed so I'm tired. And I'm always listening to an audio book while playing games so I'd rather not deal with people.

Posted: Jan 26th 2011 2:37AM kalipou134 said

I find the chat interface isn't as bad as most people make it to be.

It's not that hard to type /g /p /s before your sentences, we used to do it all the time a few years back.

I guess the people that get outraged are the latest generation that never played the original Starcraft or Diablo.

Posted: Jan 26th 2011 9:11AM Snichy said

@kalipou134 The chat problems go a bit deeper than that - would recommend researching the subject before commenting next time.

Posted: Jan 26th 2011 11:50AM kalipou134 said

@Snichy
Funny thing, I play DCUO on a daily basis and have encountered zero problem using the text chat interface to communicate with my groups, the community and friends.

But I guess I'd have to go read up on all the QQ people like to do on the forums. Chat interface is fine, princess.

Posted: Jan 25th 2011 8:18AM Matix said

Q:Are you a chat Luddite? Do you refuse to play a GAME without voice chat? Inquiring Massively minds want to know. (emphasis supplied)

A: I will play GAMES without a voice chat... they're called SINGLE-PLAYER GAMES. :)

Seriously though, I'll play MMOs without voice chat. In fact, in a world of PUGS, etc. I prefer not to have to listen to some kid from Sheboygan (WI) screaming and cursing at me like on XBOX live.

Having said that, for competitive situations (team PVP and guild PVP) I want voice chat, just something I have power and control over, like Skype or Ventrilo.

Posted: Jan 25th 2011 8:21AM nomoredroids said

@Matix hahahahaha Sheboygan.

Posted: Jan 25th 2011 8:20AM nomoredroids said

I hate the chat bubble. It takes up a lot of UI room, and I'd prefer to see what's going on behind it. Voice chat with rooms and channels would be ideal so long as you can easily mute it.

Posted: Jan 25th 2011 8:24AM MrsAngelD said

I know wow has In game voice chat, not sure if it works though never tested it. However th In game voice chat for LOTRO gets used quite a lot even though it sucks. Trying to adjust the volume, can be a pain and just enabling it can cause lag. All games should just include the free GSC voice chat on their disks it would make life much easier for all gamers imo.

Posted: Jan 25th 2011 8:26AM Vitamin Dei said

I have room for both text and voice in my gaming. Clicking away at the keyboard lends itself much more to an immersive roleplaying experience, while voip is the preferable fit for reaction-based online gaming and just casually grouping up with friends and talking about all the cute boys in science class.

If that's your thing.

Posted: Jan 25th 2011 8:30AM Greyhame said

I tend to only use voice chat when I'm running things with my guild. Other than that, the normal chat interface is fine.

Posted: Jan 25th 2011 8:42AM Krelian said

I loathe Voice Chat.

When i play games, i always have music playing in the background. I prefer listening to music than listening to the usual XboxLive/BarrensChat Internet Superhero retards.

Posted: Jan 25th 2011 8:47AM markt50 said

I only do voice chat with family and friends that I know irl.

I know this sounds daft, but I'm a very shy person, and I honestly get embarresed using voice chat with people I don't know, so I just don't use it and much prefer to use text chat.

And yeah, DCUO's chat system and UI in general is terrible, certainly amongst the worst I've ever had to use and such a suprise in a SOE game, you would think with all the previous experience they have that they could get a working chat interface, at least in the PC version.

Posted: Jan 25th 2011 8:50AM Dianoga4 said

I will play MMO's without voice chat but I'm also usually on vent with friends from other games anyways. I do find though that having in game voice chat is cool if you have a decent, somewhat mature guild for just chatting while playing. It makes communicating and explaining things so much easier. In EQ2X the in game voice chat seems to work pretty good and I will sometimes have both the in game guild chat and ventrilo on at the same time as long as both aren't always talking at the same time. And yes I could say for raids and grouping at this point that it is almost a must but that might be because I've used it so much that now it sometimes becomes a pain when someone isn't using it in a group hehe.

Posted: Jan 25th 2011 8:59AM WhiteRime said

Trying to strategize for "end game" 30 missions, duos, raids all becomes more difficult, frustrating even, without it. I lived without it easily on the way up to30, but now that I want to take on that content, my friends and I have resorted to Skype as of last night. Even for something as simple as to be able to say "WAIT!!!" without having to stop, pull up my USB keyboard (which is easier than the UI text keyboard or the PS3 thumbpad by far) to do so. I've been one of the people vocal about wanting voice chat fixed, but only because I love the game and want to be able to really dive into it with my fellow 30s in my League.

Posted: Jan 25th 2011 9:46AM MrsAngelD said

@WhiteRime You should check out GSC, it has free voice servers...and is better for gaming imho

Posted: Jan 25th 2011 8:59AM foomchee said

I think this game is a special case over most mmos. The key difference is all of the PS3 owners out there. Sure everyone who plays on a computer can run vent or something similar but even basic communication can be a problem when playing on a PS3 with a game controller. This game needs voice chat for the console crowd for sure.

Posted: Jan 25th 2011 9:11AM Rayne26 said

They have made a very fun game but...
It needs chat improvements..
More content
More lvls(30 is not enough)
Non repetitive content.
And to fix all the game.voice and graphical bugs that appear in the game and ruin the game experience.
If they dont fix these no way to subscribe for the next month.
My opinion is that soe killed their game at least for now.
I hope for improvements but swtor soon is coming!

Posted: Jan 25th 2011 9:25AM Ocho said

@Rayne26

I've heard this complaint a few times now, and it makes no sense to me... why is the number of levels an issue? What if they just changed it to level 60, but kept the same experience level amounts and power increments so that current level 30 = new level 60? Does it really matter what arbitrary number is picked? Its like saying that there should be more checkpoints during a 5K race.

Or is the complaint another way of saying not enough content to fill the levels? The levels need to take longer to acheive?

Posted: Jan 25th 2011 9:13AM TheGreatMachine said

I hate voice chat. I like to have music blaring or films playing while I game. I can understand the need for it while raiding. Other than that, no thanks.

Posted: Jan 25th 2011 9:13AM Ocho said

I'm not one big to talk while playing MMO's simply because I feel silly doing it. My wife thinks I play some crazy games as is, it'd be worse if I started blurting out game terminology. I would use it, though, but only for bigger guild situations. Raids/PvP, etc. Outside of that... nope. Won't go anywhere near it.

Betawatch: September 13 - 19, 2014