Posted: Jan 25th 2011 2:51PM Tazuras said

Looks a lot more realistic and perhaps a little more contemporary and less futuristic. So far I like the direction though these teases are killing me. Probably not a bad marketing strategy, at least as far as former/current players of the original Planetside are concerned.

Posted: Jan 25th 2011 2:53PM Lakevren said

And I got reminded of Star Wars Galaxies... great...

In any case, I am still looking forward to Planetside 2 (I'm just gonna call it that), but I wish it came out like a year or two ago, or even now. Now I'm gonna have to wait, and looking at how long Agency is taking, this is gonna take forever.

Posted: Jan 25th 2011 2:58PM Gaff said

I'm getting more and more excited by this.

I would say the Galaxy model looks better than the Vanguard, but it's good to hear they are not in-game assets.

Posted: Jan 25th 2011 3:09PM Miffy said

• Half a heart
I just hope when the game comes out they are higher poly models with nicer textures. Planetside looked dated in 2003 and that looks like it belongs in Planetside lol.

Posted: Jan 25th 2011 3:18PM madbassman39 said

@Miffy you are so predictable. I knew you were going to come here and comment on this and how the "graphics haven't improved" or they "don't even use DX9" (which we don't even know what they are using btw, it could just be a low polygon count DX10, even though its not likely, we don't really know). http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/12/PlanetSide_Liberator_bomber_followed_by_a_Lodestar_vehicle_transport.jpg Heres a comparison shot, this looks like a major improvement, and to say otherwise is obvious trolling.

Posted: Jan 25th 2011 3:39PM Miffy said

• Half a heart
whocares if it looks a tiny bit better. I really don't understand how you can defend these pictures, they look so fucking dated it's untrue! You're all fucking crazy SOE are making a joke out of the Planetside IP and you're all gonna bend over and take it again.

I mean show that to any non fanboi and they will laugh at how bad it looks.

Posted: Jan 25th 2011 3:50PM Pingles said

@Miffy

If they have to lower polygons to allow for high-population combat I'm all for it.

The F2P Zentia has an option to have ALL characters onscreen use the same model to speed up screen refreshes. I was very surprised to see screenshots from LOTS of players all have that turned on. There ARE folks out there who care a LOT less about graphics than you might imagine.

Posted: Jan 25th 2011 3:51PM madbassman39 said

@Miffy Never played planet side, so I'm no fanboy (always wanted to, never got around to it), but to say it doesn't look better, LIKE YOU HAVE BEEN SAYING, is trolling... you troll.

Posted: Jan 25th 2011 3:42PM Nef said

I still remember, years ago, riding in a galaxy over a primary target -- flak everywhere, the roar of gunfire and rockets deafening -- and getting the call to jump. Then seeing the squad hot dropping onto the roof and practically kicking one of the roof doors in, guns blazing the whole time. Heh. I hope the new game will be able to preserve or improve on those kinds of experiences.

Posted: Jan 25th 2011 3:46PM Pingles said

Will be interesting to see how the Tribes MMO and this one compare.

Posted: Jan 25th 2011 4:24PM Valdamar said

Dropping onto the roof of a base from a Galaxy and fighting your way inside was one of the things I always enjoyed in Planetside - glad the Gal is back - as long as we can hot-drop from it and float (/fall :p ) down to a target below then it's all good.

Vive la hot-drop!

Posted: Jan 26th 2011 3:57PM BaronJuJu said

@Valdamar That was the first thing I ever learned to fly in Planetside. I loved that beast. Hot drops were always fun, a sure way to get me killed but not before I rained a squad of destruction and mayhem on a base. I can't wait to see how they are going to be "an even more pivotal role in the new game"!

Posted: Jan 25th 2011 4:48PM clik said

Couldn't really give a flying frogs #$% what it looks like. I just want that Planetside gameplay on a huge scale again.

Posted: Jan 25th 2011 5:13PM SnarlingWolf said

The artwork does look nice, even if it is drastically different from the feel on the original planetside (as someone else said it looks more modern with a slight sci-fi added on then the very sci fi of the old planetside).

However, I didn't quit the original planetside (only a couple months after it launched) due to graphics. I quit because the balance was so utterly terrible and everytime they tried to "fix" it they just swung it in the other direction. Since the game was so easy to level up, people just jumped ship to each new over-powered side with each update.

The game had a lot of potential but the gameplay was lacking (let's take a whole planet and then log out and come back tomorrow and take it over again, rinse and repeat for everyday as the stuff swapped back and forth every few hours since there was no way to lock it in for a period of time and no actual gain for holding it vs letting the other side take it and capturing somewhere else while they were distracted) and the balance was so terrible that the game overall became a joke.

I will be far more interested to hear how they're changing/adjusting gameplay/balance/leveling/abilities than the artwork.

Posted: Jan 25th 2011 5:58PM winterborn said

"Oh John Smedley, you coy devil!"

WTF, why is Massivley obviously sucking up to the most hated man in MMO history ?

Smedbucks IS the reason why players hate $oE.

Please wipe you nose off Massively.

Posted: Jan 26th 2011 12:36AM Russell Clarke said

@winterborn

Ooh, feel the love.

Posted: Jan 26th 2011 8:40AM Jef Reahard said

@winterborn

Whooosh.

Posted: Jan 25th 2011 6:32PM Kaahn Stewart said

Ahhhh, the Galaxy. I remember playing Planetside early in my MMO/FPS career, and sucking terribly. So I respecced to repair and fly vehicles. Grabbed a Galaxy, called for a crew and carried a full compliment of bloodthirsty soldiers over the enemy lines and right over their main base. Turn around, repair, rinse, repeat. It made the poor noob I was feel like I was actually contributing.

I'm way more excited for this than I've been for anything else for some time.

Posted: Jan 25th 2011 8:17PM O77er said

I was looking at this game.

Is it good?

Posted: Jan 26th 2011 12:35AM Russell Clarke said

@O77er

If it's anything like the original, it will rock. At least, if it's like the original pre-Core Combat expansion, which was a big pile of old shite and IMHO was the death-knell of the game.