Posted: Jan 24th 2011 5:33PM Shadowhawke said

Hear hear. While I started EQ in late 2002 and missed Velious, and the rest of the old world for that matter, in its heyday, it remains among my favorite old world regions.

In fact I realize I LOOK for reasons to go to Velious, even now. About 6 years ago as I was taking my wizard main through the fledgling levels, sure it was a mundane camp but man those Tizmaks were social and tough! LOL. Once I got the level to take on the frost giants that was among my next kites in the Great Divide. Make sure you got from velium smithing hammer from the Coldain, because those weapons broke down and vendored nicely. I try to hit the Frostfell stuff in GD every season…did just last month in fact.

Wizard epic in the Siren’s Grotto, quad-kiting the wyverns on the cliffs of Cobalt Scar…a wizard can still make plat taking the occasional traveler to the Western Wastes. The occasional run to Dragon Necropolis, IIRC for a guildy’s epic. Running the Dain MM’s. If you’ve done the more recent Giants, Giants, Giants event, the run through Kael Drakkel is probably the highpoint, even IF everyone is over level 80.

And this article did not mention Crystal Caverns, one of THE best dungeon zones in the game, even 17 expansions later. It’s a hot zone again with the current rotation, so I’m taking some midlevels through for the fun of it.

Basically one hell of a fine MMO expansion pack, from end to end.

Yes, but I'm aware this article is about EQ2...may the pack somehow live up to its namesake.

Posted: Jan 24th 2011 5:35PM Daelen said

Everything listed is why for those that didn't live in EQ but out here in the real world have memories of Kunark and not Velious =P

Posted: Jan 24th 2011 5:40PM Sethisto said

I agree completely, but with this station cash nonsense I'm really having my doubts. Kunark in eq2 was already so tiny compared to the old one, and now velious, an expansion twice as big, has to deal with an even smaller dev team and 50% focus on station crap. I really enjoyed eq2 for the few years I played. The lore/world is much stronger than anything wow could offer.

I just wish SoE would focus more on getting people to play the game than nickle and diming their current subscribers. That marketplace is getting way too much attention.

Posted: Jan 24th 2011 5:53PM TheGreatMachine said

I was hyped for Faydwer as it was 'it was going to be a return to real EQ!' and I was dissapointed, Kunark fooled me a second time and while I play on occasion I haven't bought an Expansion since. On reflection Desert of Flames was my favorite time in the game.

Posted: Jan 24th 2011 6:06PM Oneiromancer said

No mention of the Coldain Shawl tradeskill quest? That quest was probably the biggest thing I have ever dedicated myself to in an MMO. And even though I didn't start playing EQ until Lost Dungeons of Norrath, four expansions later, the reward from that quest was still one of the best items you could get without raiding.

I played EQ2 off and on since release, but the last time I played was almost 2 years ago, during The Shadow Odyssey. Sentinel's Fate wasn't interesting enough to draw me back, but Destiny of Velious might be, especially since they have a Coldain Shawl tradeskill Heritage Quest.

(I guess technically it is the "Coldain Prayer Shawl" but no one ever called it by its full name.)

Posted: Jan 24th 2011 6:38PM Shadowhawke said

@Oneiromancer

I think the Prayer Shawl is a given, but it makes the case that as a pack Velious was simply crammed with content.

Posted: Jan 24th 2011 6:26PM DataShade said

I loved Velious, but, to be fair, SoV was also the point where people who weren't in a Top-10% uberguild started to realize that Sony was very interested in taking your money but wasn't really interested in making a game for you. Hour-long waits for a group, raid rotations where every decent mob was already "called" for the next month by the same four uberguilds.

Why would you add more and more raid content when the "average" player was still fighting over grindspots in The Overthere? I was raiding Hate and Fear and the decision to pander almost exclusively to max-levels still boggled my mind.

I do agree with the Crystal Caverns bit that Shadowhawke brought up; that was a grade-A dungeon-crawl of a zone, with the little lost Coldain down at the bottom, a couple of prize-dropping rare mobs, and a great soundscape.

Posted: Jan 24th 2011 6:52PM Frogh said

What character levels does this expansion cover?

Posted: Jan 24th 2011 8:19PM Shazzie said

I still dream about Plane of Mischief sometimes, and I haven't been there in going on 10 years now. Wow.

The Coldain Prayer Shawl is a bitter, bitter memory for me. Multiple combines... multiple failures on the last combine. So much lost, so many times. I believe I invented fifteen new curses when the combine failed the last time I ever did it. I couldn't bear to try again.

I am both eagerly awaiting, and nervous to the core, about Velious in EQ2. The multitude of ridiculously overpriced items in the cash shop, the cash shop and EQ2X being more important than EQ2 Live, the complete silence with regards to this expansion until the very last moment... I simply have very little faith in SOE support for EQ2 Live. A baby (EQ2X) always takes far more attention than the old folk's home (EQ2 Live). We've had our years, and now it's time to fade away into the background, it seems.

Bleh.

Posted: Jan 24th 2011 9:43PM starchildren3317 said

@Karen

Thanks for the trip down memory lane! They just don't make MMOs nor expansions like they used to. I actually preferred the way people would level back in those days. Get a group of people together and go camp a few spots. Plus the actual random good drops occured. Now adays most say that it is a grind, but the current model is much more a grind but you are doing it by yourself. Go talk to some farmer that you could actually care less about and slaughter 10 wolves that are killing his pigs. Who feakin cares!

Now get some friends together and go delve into the crystal caverns! Now that was fun!

Thanks for the memories!

Posted: Jan 25th 2011 12:06AM Haldurson said

Woot! Thanks for the memories!

I started in EQ around the time that Kunark came out. Eventually, Vellious became the centerpoint of nearly all our guild's activities, at least until the planes came out (or whatever they were called).. I fondly remember most of what you mentioned. The Tower of Frozen Shadows was one of my all-time favorite dungeons in the game. And the 10th ring war was truly epic. I also probably spent more time killing giants in Kael than just about any other dungeon in any game ever (trying to get everyone in our guild gear and faction).

Posted: Jan 25th 2011 12:39AM Darkstryke said

The Ring10 war is still to this day by far the best community based content that any game designer has thrown out there in terms of scale and function. As you said, on some servers there were literally hundreds of people coming together to help get things rolling, and it was the epitomy of EPIC.

Thinking back to that, and when I was getting my dain ring, it's kind of sad. Nothing created since has been able to top that feeling.

Posted: Jan 25th 2011 1:50AM eromair said

This expansion is the best one soe ever put out.. Lots of great memories raiding with my guild in ntov/kael/skyshrine/plane of growth. And pulling the coldain king/prince down the well to be killed. Killing the Avatar of war. And sleepers when i finally got my key and my primal it was one of my favorite mmo memories. Oh and pulling the flurry drakes in ntov the ice on the steps at the top would almost always seem to get my owned by em lol. Good memories with my guild Forsaken on rodcet nife. They should do there best to make the eq2 velious as fun and entertaining as the old one was. FLURRY of attacks on creeker =x good times

Posted: Jan 25th 2011 3:50AM Lionhearted said

EQ itself was a revolutionary game and really set the standards for MMOs, but it was Velious that put the final touches on what a MMO was supposed to be -- IMO it was the expansion that invented modern day raids (the term "dkp" came from Velious, even), and it is still leaps and bounds ahead of most expansions from just about any game in dynamic, non-pocket-zone content. MMOs just don't do that kind of stuff anymore, and it's a shame. Like or hate the notion that people have to compete for mobs, it made the game fun -- and not just for the elite guilds, but for rank and file guilds. It was the type of expansion that was still heavily populated well beyond its normal shelf life, from levelers as well as raiders.

As for the dungeons? Almost all of the Velious dungeons exceed anything that exists today in terms of creativity, epicness and cool sights. A lot of them were tough cookies to crack, but that just made them all the more fun. Just looking at the Tower of Frozen Shadows used to scare the hell out of me, and zones like Velkator's Laborynth were just so freaking cool.

Posted: Jan 25th 2011 10:13AM karl234 said

should be noted - devs have said this will be part one of 2

for example, there wont be a Sirens Cove

Fanfaire commentary from summer
Question: Velious part 2 as a game update or expansion?
Georgeson: not sure. The industry keeps changing. We intend to finish it.

Posted: Jan 25th 2011 12:49PM pcgneurotic said

Even if this new take on V has only 10% of the Pure Awesome that the original had, it'll still be a million times better than anything else I've played in the last few years. Bring it ON!

Posted: Jan 25th 2011 1:00PM Valdamar said

Too lazy to type out Lord Doljonijiarnimorinar? Slacker! Yeah, ok I admit we called him Lord Bob on our server too, hehe.

What's with all the EverQuest articles recently? Oh I love all the trips down memory lane, but thanks to Massively I'm really struggling to keep my EQ nostalgia in check lately. Thank goodness I've got that little voice in my head saying "you can NEVER go back" or I might have been tempted to try :p

I still have fonder memories of Kunark than Velious, but I spent a heck of a lot of time in Velious and at the time it was a very worthy expansion after the incredible Kunark - we only realised how amazing both expansions had been when we got the unfinished/rushed Luclin expansion next. Sure, Planes of Power was good in it's own way, but it really was the clearest sign that EQ had become a game mainly for raiders that wasn't really interested in catering to smaller groups anymore - which is why Velious is so important to me and fondly remembered - it was the end of EQ's golden age as far as I was concerned.

Velious raid content was the last EQ raid content I ever experienced, because after that raiding just became too much of a hassle (e.g. the original Vex Thal key quest). In fact constant ToV raiding (to gear everyone up for Luclin raids, specifically VT) was eventually the final nail in my EQ coffin. For that reason my fondness for Scars of Velious is forever tainted while Ruins of Kunark remains a shining example of the perfection expansion imho - new continent, new content, new race + new starter areas, new level cap, better dungeons than Velious, etc..

Also the Scars of Velious was the expansion that made dragons mundane instead of being rare/special (or in very dangerous places like Veeshan's Peak) - dragons were everywhere - and yes they were amazingly cool at first and you really did explore the continent with your jaw dropping open all of the time - but when you're killing dragons/dragonkin as if they were trash mobs you know something is wrong - I can never really forgive SoV for, if not trivializing dragons (the Sleeper, Yelinak and most of NToV were not what I would call trivial, heh), making them so common they lost their wow factor.

But as long as I live I will never forget how cool it was raiding/grouping in Kael Drakkal - a giant city, full of giants, and everything around you really made you feel small - just travelling through it was an adventure (and took a while!) - it was my favourite part of Velious and raiding/grouping there with my guild remains my fondest memory of EverQuest. Being able to clear the arena with 3-5 disciplined and careful groups (i.e. 18-30 people), when all the big guilds were just zerging it with 10-12 groups (60-72 people), was so much fun - and even when we didn't need to raid there anymore we still went back to do the arena priests or Tormax sometimes, just for kicks and nostalgia, and took our lower level alts in there to do the Keep (Icewall?). It's probably my favourite dungeon/zone from any MMO I've ever played.

Posted: Jan 25th 2011 6:19PM Tryon said

I know there wasn't much diversity to character appearance early in Everquest, but man that group photo at the top looks strikingly familiar.

It looks like me (Tryon) in the back row 3rd in from left, and my best pal Streborn on the far right. At least that's EXACTLY what our toons looked like at that point. Others look very familiar too. Guild might have been NULL or Wake of Oblivion, can't remember.

Posted: Feb 24th 2011 8:01PM Kevris said

I'd just like to point out that your first screen-shot betrays the message of this article.

Those are the post-Luclin character models, and one of the best features of Vellious was the new armor textures, including the custom helms for each race.

MMO Week in Review: WoW's rebound

Posted on Nov 23rd 2014 8:00PM

EVE Evolved: What does Thera mean for EVE?

Posted on Nov 23rd 2014 6:00PM