Posted: Jan 24th 2011 10:21PM Utakata said

@Jef Reahard

I am actually aware of that. However, the wording of the article does lean a bit towards rally'ing the F2P troops because DCUO had chosen the blasphemous P2P route. Maybe that's just me. And if it is, I apologize. But that's how it read to me. :(

I will agree...they do need a free trial mechanic. But like they did not release time cards with the game, this seems an oversite on SOE's part. Though as your next article has indicated, this doesn't appear to have hurt them.

Posted: Jan 27th 2011 7:23PM Jef Reahard said

@Utakata

No need to apologize, I appreciate you pointing that out. I can see why you read it that way but that definitely wasn't my (nor Massively's) intention.

Posted: Jan 24th 2011 11:29AM Drunken Irish Sniper said

It is not worth the $15 a month and should have been "Buy 2 Play" from the beginning.
There's enough stuff for them to sell without selling anything that would affect the stats or give anyone an advantage and still make a nice amount of money.

I do like DC Uni but the end game is an exact WoW clone and you level so fast that end game is all you really have to do in that game.

I find it strange that it's made out to be a casual game but it has the same time consuming gear progression crap WoW has while trying to make it kid friendly even though the combat is too complicated for kids.
They need to make up their minds on who they want to be playing their game.

If anything this game has shown me how great an Action Fantasy MMO would be so I'm kind of looking forward too Tera now.

Posted: Jan 24th 2011 11:31AM Enikuo said

No. The sub isn't a problem. It's the box price that I can't get past, especially with no demo or free trial.

Posted: Jan 24th 2011 11:32AM Aardvarkk said

I didn't know the sub fees were going towards monthly content. If LotRO and WoW had monthly content updates I'd still be subscribed to both games.

I played the beta and it's a fun game, even the pvp. Tempting but I'm still holding out for GW2 and TOR.

Posted: Jan 24th 2011 11:38AM Luk said

DCUO is a fun game which looks great, too bad the controls on PC are not that good at all. Is it worth $50 plus $15 per month, not really. I am still too busy playing all those games from last year Steam sale, ask me this again next year when DCUO is on sale or F2P.

Posted: Jan 24th 2011 11:48AM Alamar01 said

As a SWG veteran, I will never trust SOE for timely updates. Just the sight of Smedley's name makes me cringe. Gl to you DC players. . .

Posted: Jan 24th 2011 12:02PM Urban Monkey said

I bought it during the 20% off weekend at direct2drive. Pretty cheap.

My plan is to play it for the free month only. In the future (9-12 months), I will sub for a month and play the new content then wait again.

Seems like a fair deal to me.

Posted: Jan 24th 2011 12:16PM Zerogrifter said

also I would like to note that I let 4 of my friends try the game - after playing it for 5 hours they all went out and bought their own copy. So a 5 hour trial may be in Sony's favor.

Posted: Jan 24th 2011 12:20PM Utakata said

@Zerogrifter

I agree. I do think they should have least a free trial.

Posted: Jan 24th 2011 12:19PM FTPgodmode said

To all who want a free trial, there was a guaranteed beta invite with preorder >.< not to mention SOE gave out tons of beta keys to fan sites/MMO sites!

okay back on topic.. i think the game deserves a chance at least until we get to see the first big update. i like how the combat is different from your standard mmo, it's definitely more action oriented in a good way. it plays amazing with a xbox 360 controller which is a suprise for an mmo. i think it has a good chance since it's the first i've seen without 3rd party software to play with a controller. learning the combos and classes is fun and the pvp is very entertaining. so i dont see why not, it deserves a little chance before TOR and RIFT come onto shelves.

Posted: Jan 24th 2011 1:40PM Greyhame said

@FTPgodmode

I shouldn't have to pre-order a game, or enter a contest to be able to try a game out before I decide to buy it. Besides, as much as people use it for such, betas are not for trying out the game to see if you want it.

Posted: Jan 24th 2011 2:43PM FTPgodmode said

@Greyhame you shouldnt have to, but if you were interested in the game you had your options ;]

i know we've all been burned by these companies time and time again but we all should know by now that AAA mmo's dont have any sort of trial at launch. that's why people try to get in for the beta or through a buddy key. you cant always warrant a purchase simply through the beta but at least you can get a general idea of what the game has to offer in terms of buying it at retail price.

i definitely took a chance buying another SOE game.. i think it was worth it to hose down my excitement and kill time until all the other AAA mmos we've all been hearing about are released. i would like to see more controller functionality in future MMOs, this seems to be one of the potential areas that are lacking in these types of games. i would love to see TERA played with a 360 controller!

Posted: Jan 24th 2011 12:32PM Branded Alive said

Yes, it is.

The RIFT head-start comes out at the end of next month, and I can't see myself playing DCUO any once RIFT comes out. So, it would be like a game where I spend $50, play it for exactly a month, and then set it to the side.

Posted: Jan 24th 2011 12:55PM JasonXtreme said

Yes I do not play DCUO because of the monthly fee. But I would absolutely test play it (pay for a month) if you didn't have to buy the retail box for $49.99 just to get in the game.

I would be more then happy to pick up the game for $49.99 if it didn't have a fee, even before I have tested it. But I have a policy to never buy a game that have a fee unless I have tried it.

Well I guess I have to settle for champions till Guild Wars 2 hits the market.

Posted: Jan 24th 2011 1:03PM Barri said

I wouldn't pay monthly for this in its current state. Your pretty much stuck in a tiny area and you can get max level in a few days. Also after getting max not much to do but repeat same things over and over.

Posted: Jan 24th 2011 1:04PM Miffy said

Asides from the boring gameplay, I don't think it is worth the subscription fee.

Posted: Jan 24th 2011 1:13PM meanieme said

I refuse to play f2p games, by far the worst blight to hit the mmo industry since WoW.

Posted: Jan 24th 2011 1:27PM Zach Adams said

Kind of. If I could play the game without spending $15 a month, just buying the box, I'd consider it--but it's not that I'm opposed to monthly fees, I just don't feel DCUO as it stands now is worth it. I never had a problem paying for CoH, Champions or Everquest 2 but DCUO is not as good as those games were at the time I was playing them.

Posted: Jan 24th 2011 1:27PM winterborn said

Money is not an issue for me, the only issue is $oE.

Trust me and thousands of others that know you will not get timely updates from that monthly sub. It will fund Station Cash crap design or the next half finnished POS that Smeducks is selling.

As Matix said "The primary fact as to why I won't play this game is that fact Sony Online Entertainment is the company running it"

Smedbucks will run out of suckers soon.