Posted: Jan 24th 2011 9:12AM Starry said

Does a subscription fee keep me from playing DCUO? I can afford paying a monthly subscription, so what is really holding me back? Paying a subscription to a mediocre game with the $OE logo on it.

DCUO is not worth the monthly premium subscription, let alone the cash shop that will also be bolted onto this game shortly (which players seem to be forgetting about). After five years of development and a $50 million investment, this game was still released unfinished, buggy and content thin. I played during Beta, so I did experience the game for myself.

$OE has a sordid business history when it coes to living up to promises, game maintenance and customer service. Buyer Beware.

Posted: Jan 24th 2011 9:13AM Severius said

Yes. For the most part it is the idea of paying a subscription fee for what is essentially a single player action game. I beta tested the game and it was complete and utter shite. Then again a fool and their money is soon parted, what other explanation can there be for Smedley and Cao to still have jobs.

Posted: Jan 24th 2011 9:14AM Kaemin said

I am very surprised they made the sub $20 considering at a time they were talking something around the $5-$10 range. IMO: the PC controls and click registration are way too clunky for an Action MMO, not to mention it seems as though the npc mobs aren't bound by the same rule set as pc's almost wow-like sticky targeting seeing as how they will hit you not matter how much you dodge/get out of the way. It really ruins the immersion for me.

Posted: Jan 24th 2011 9:17AM Noviere said

Actually, the initial purchase is what is turning me off. The game is fun enough to pay $15 for a month or 2, but is not worth $50.

Posted: Jan 24th 2011 9:21AM wagonfactor said

the game was a blast up until lvl30. some players may like it, but youre immediately thrown into a gear grind. you can pvp for gear or pve for gear. IN MY OPINION, neither are very fun. i had way more fun questing/exploring the world, unlocking new abilities and leveling my character. now you just hit Y and queue up for a random alert, raid, or arena. alot of people in my league seem to be enjoying this part of the game, but its not for me. in warhammer, when you reach max level, it is a gear grind but the pvp is alot of fun and it never really felt like a grind to me. the pvp in dcuo is .... just not as fun IMO. after hitting 30 in dcuo i just feel... bored. i was so bored last night i actually logged into ffxiv instead and organized my retainer and did a behest. i dunno, i hate to give up on dcuo so soon after hitting the level cap... but its just that... im bored :\

Posted: Jan 24th 2011 9:24AM Vegetta said

Not a fan of the DC universe. Plus i really do not have the time for multiple games. If I wanted to play a superhero game i would re-sub to City of Heroes.

Posted: Jan 24th 2011 9:26AM lmollea said

Yes it is, in part. I'd really like to see if the "new content every month" promise will be honoured.
I've bought and subscribed to too many "AAA" MMOs that then resulted in a letdown.
The price isn't so "low", so I really really really want to be sure that my mony is worth the game.

Posted: Jan 24th 2011 9:28AM Misanthrope said

I played in the beta extensively since february.

Or rather, I played for one month extensively and blew through all content on six different characters.

The game is just so content-light that it doesn't warrant a subscription fee from me. It's not something I can see myself playing for more than a month, so why should I subscribe to it?

Posted: Jan 24th 2011 9:32AM Daelen said

No. $15 is meaningless to me, its the gameplay on the keyboard/mouse that did it in for me.

Posted: Jan 24th 2011 9:32AM BruceLeeglad said

The game has so little content, buggy, imbalanced and $OE is running so maybe thats why im not gonna pay 2 play

Posted: Jan 24th 2011 9:37AM Bhagpuss said

The sub is stopping me from playing, but only because I already have a Station Access account and DCUO is included. I wouldn't pay an additional sub to play DCUO, nor would I play it as my main MMO.

I think they should have gone with a Guild Wars pricing model.

Posted: Jan 24th 2011 9:37AM Wildstaff said

I just unsubbed from WoW yesterday. if i do get the game i will play for the first month with my brother and that's probably the end of it. also Champions is going free very soon so what incentive do i have to pay monthly for this game.

i predict it will go F2P eventually. until then it's SC2 and the free MMOs for me.

Posted: Jan 24th 2011 9:38AM Bhagpuss said

Bah! That should read "The sub ISN'T stopping me".

Posted: Jan 24th 2011 9:39AM Bri said

I'm not concerned about the subscription cost. But I'm not dropping $50-60 in retail cost without ever trying it.

I've been burned before. No demo, no sale.

Posted: Jan 24th 2011 9:45AM Tom L said

Yes and No.

I sub to Lotr:O, 2 accts. at $9.99/month and am a very active player. I loved the DCUO beta but refuse to take on another sub. That said, given my time constraints I can't commit to two games at the same time. So, while I love what DCUO has to offer, I'll have to wait until my current fascination with Lotr:O is over, or at least on hiatus.

My kinmates/friends in Lotr:O feel similarly. That makes the decision an easy one.

Ta,

Posted: Jan 24th 2011 9:54AM Mithrias said

If you want us to pay money for it, the least you could do is give us a free trial to see how it plays.

I'm not going to fork out money on a game that i havent tried yet... i wish i had that much money to spare!

Also, i have 1 monthly MMO payment, and i dont think it will grow beyond that. I play Free to Play games, and fork out money when i'm in the mood, but to have TWO constant monthlies.... nah, not for me

Posted: Jan 24th 2011 9:57AM lucas42 said

Yeah, it is. Subs are just not an option for me.

Posted: Jan 24th 2011 9:59AM Thasri said

I'm a huge DC comic fan but because SOE has their hands on it I'll never buy another product from them EVER! I got to beta test the game, it was fun to play, the combat was good the story driven missions were fun but the remaining factor that SOE is in the drivers seat I will NOT give them any of my money ever again. Besides I'm really waiting for SWTOR to come out.

Posted: Jan 24th 2011 10:03AM nevin said

no trial = no purchase.

Posted: Jan 24th 2011 10:06AM Jeromai said

It's not the sub fee. As long as I'm still currently employed (*knock on wood*), I''ve grown quite comfortable with the idea of paying the price of a couple magazines or movie tickets per month to enjoy playing and sampling an MMO for some time.

It's the initial price of the box and the feeling that I'm not going to get a commensurate amount of worth or enjoyment for playing a month or two of DCUO.

Points in DCUO's favor: It's action combat, intriguing enough, but I have a lot of action combat single player games for the console and PC ports that are on my back burner and competing for equivalent attention. And the idea of earning gear that changes my character's look through the journey is something other superhero MMOs haven't done yet (though all fantasy MMOs have.)

Decidedly pushing me into not giving it a go: After trying the beta, I'd have to say that my idea of quality content != to Chris Cao's. I wasn't enjoying the journey of killing X numbers of Y rat equivalents on open maps. Voiced stuff is all very well, but the lore did nothing for me.

There was nothing I could imagine looking forward to in the future - from interviews and player reports, the PvE content lasts a month... or two. Chris Cao has said it is about 5-7 hours a week of 'quality' content. He and I have already disagreed on definitions of quality. I clock about 4 hours a day of MMO'ing. At 25-30 hours a week, that doesn't say much for DCUO's longevity for me, and the journey wasn't being very fun for me personally either.

The lead designer is a PvP fan and has admitted to stomping on verisimilitude/immersion for ease-of-balance reasons (eg. no way to recreate an invulnerable Superman-type character without being ice or fire.) That suggests less focus on choice and customisation, and the most interesting experiences to be on the PvP servers, where heroes and villains can bash each other up with impunity and enjoy PvP combat presumably balanced by someone who cares about PvP. Me, I'm not a PvP fan and have had previous issues with discerning long term futures in PvP-focused games (Warhammer, Aion.)

Finally, the mix of broken chat UI and a PvP, PS3 skewed community just finishes it off. During the beta, while I was just minding my own business questing on a PvE server, a standard toxic PvP taunt exchange over Arena chat was ongoing. Fair enough, it is part of the fun of PvP, and kudos to them for keeping it on the proper channel... Except, try as I might, I couldn't turn the channel off, or ignore the people in question. So not only do I get grumpy at the perceived level of community (I'm not a fan of WoW chat either), I'm gnashing my teeth at the incompetence of the UI devs.

So... lousy current experience, poor future outlook for me in DCUO = reluctant to start in the first place.