Posted: Jan 22nd 2011 6:26PM Khalus said

I'm so ecstatic about the FoV cooldown being removed, but at the same time distraught that FFXIs amazing PT system will be all but destroyed in the process due to how much easier it will be solo now. Although getting into a PT near an FoV book could prove to be some extremely fast low level XPing, similar to Bastion in the Abyssea zones. {unless you're in an LS that will let you join an Abyssea PT at lvl 40 and be lvl 75 in less than 10hrs...}

With these amazing changes to XI, and how awesome Yoshi-P appears to be thus far with the fundamental changes coming to XIV. I'd really like to see the current guildleve system abolished, and made to work more like FoV ~ you pick up the leve quests from the Aetheryte Cystals at each camp, and only once an hr would you get gil or a random piece of gear, or the class points, but you can do as many as want for SP/XP, and of course get better rewards and SP/XP the larger the PT you complete them in.

Now as far as the SP/XP issue goes, I wouldn't mind seeing that abolished too, and having something more like this:

You earn and accumulate XP, then spend it on your stats, and the higher your stats get, the more XP is required. Like the Merits in XI, where one merit points = 10,000 XP. Though it would have to start far less during the early lvls to be more fun.

Or heck keep the SP points too, and allow them to be accumulated as well, and spend them upgrading select skills and abilities from all classes, once they're unlocked. For example, when you equip the cure spell on another class, you don't have AoE capabilities anymore, only single target, but with upgrading you could eventually make cure more powerful and unlock AoE on other classes.

Posted: Jan 22nd 2011 7:22PM Controlled Chaos said

They're talking more now because they managed to thoroughly screw up their FF14 launch. They need the fans they alienated or their paycheque for this game is going to end up a lot lower than they managed for 11. Eventually, when the game gets to the point where the majority really likes it, they'll sink back into the woodwork from whence they came. So, best to get the talking in now and make your voice heard. The opportunity is a good one, so hopefully it's not a wasted one for the community to get their voices heard.

Posted: Jan 22nd 2011 7:55PM Irem said

"And even though Tanaka was responsible for a lot of very fun games, I felt as though he never quite cared about that direction, that he wanted games to be more interesting from a design perspective than they were fun to play."

Yup, I think you nailed it. From a player perspective, many of the decisions made for XI and XIV when Tanaka was in charge were downright baffling. Wouldn't it make more sense to do this? Wouldn't it be so much easier to just implement that this way? Why can't they see that this doesn't work? Many of those decisions only made any sort of sense if you put aside the assumption that they were actually made with the player in mind. The system kind of worked for XI, but XI had a better infrastructure than XIV currently does, and that gave players the incentive to figure out how to make things fun for themselves. The climate and the genre have changed quite a bit since then.

I was a little disappointed that they're thinking of going back to a standard class system and traditional class names, too, but I think it's probably a good idea. As of right now, the system they came up with really doesn't work the way it was advertised to. People refer to classes by their class names (thaumaturge, lancer, ect.) anyway. If they're really going to change up the battle system, it's probably best to do it by going to something people are familiar with and working from there. Also, if they're using classes from previous games, it means I might see Puppetmaster again eventually. :D *is shot*

I hope we'll see an AH, but I also hope they keep retainers/market wards for those who want to use them. They were a great idea as a replacement for the traditional player-created "market wards" in XI (dump stuff on mule, park mule in Sauromugue, log out for the night/log into second account), but NOT as a replacement for the AH. It's like the difference between a grocery store and a yard sale. You might find great stuff at a yard sale and spend a lot of time browsing them, but when you want staple items and you need them fast, driving around from yard sale to yard sale hoping someone might need to get rid of some bread, eggs, and milk would be ridiculous.

In closing, I'm really fond of Yoshida. I have the strange urge to knit him a scarf or something equally silly.

Posted: Jan 23rd 2011 7:26AM Abriael said

@Irem from what I read there's no mention of going back to the standard class system. Yoshida only talks about changing the names back and adding/changing abilities to make classes more unique. Other than that, I seriously doubt they're going to ever consider going back to standard classes. It would piss off immensely those that leveled several classes. They simply can't afford it, and it's one of the things that makes the game unique anyway.

Posted: Jan 23rd 2011 11:25AM Irem said

@Abriael
Ooops, I phrased that badly. Yeah, I don't think they'll be changing it so that having leveled several classes is useless, or anything like that, but if they go back to "Okay, this is a Red Mage, this is a Dragoon, this is a Warrior," ect. I think it'll probably affect the direction they take with the designs in the future, and they'll likely have to rework the skill synergy at least a little to reflect that. Which is fine. The system they tried to implement was basically subjobs with no class restriction, and that's a nice upgrade from FFXI's system without trying to fix what isn't broken. They can work with that much more easily, I think, when they drop the "there are no classes!" conceit, because it's really not true.

Posted: Jan 22nd 2011 8:16PM Nenene said

I love you, Yoshi-P.

I'm so grateful Wada hired someone with an understanding of how modern MMOs work. It's about the only thing that will save this game.

Posted: Jan 22nd 2011 10:48PM ImperialPanda said

From an arbitrary point-of-view, I suppose a general consensus can be made that increased communication between devs and players, and more incorporation of player feedback, is a good thing. And yes, all logic points to removal of early/mid-game caps and requirements.

But, I just have to say...

During the 6 years I played FFXI, the game was the most perfect MMO ever. Every nuance and "annoyance" added to what made the experience so unique.

That is all.

Posted: Jan 23rd 2011 12:30AM Jade Effect said

If companies aren't listening to you, that's because you aren't speaking in the language they understand: money. The ivory tower existed because players had been giving them free passes in the past to do whatever they wish.

Don't stand for crap and that company that once gave you the cold-shoulder suddenly wants to hang out with you.

Posted: Jan 24th 2011 7:51PM koehler83 said

@Jade Effect Unfortunately the biggest free pass always came from and continues to come from the Japanese. They are culturally programmed to tow the line, so to speak. And when the other side smacks their forehead and raises a stink, that crowd looks over and gives the usual "What's the problem gaijin? Are you lazy or stupid?" leaving the dev team feeling vindicated and continuing mingling among the friendly eastern crowd.

Posted: Jan 23rd 2011 5:10AM Betel said

To be honest, aside from the plans to overhaul the battle system and faster frequency of updates I liked Tanaka's plan for the winter better.

Posted: Jan 25th 2011 4:07PM Chiren said

I luv the mog log btw.. please keep it up!

I'm hoping they provide something more interesting to do than more Magian Trials though which seem to be the current direction.

Especially now that since they added the new trials I realize I'm one f-ing trial committed in the wrong direction for the TP Bonus Keitonotachi. x_____x

MMO Week in Review: Are you Elite or Dangerous?

Posted on Dec 21st 2014 8:00PM