Posted: Jan 22nd 2011 8:29PM TheNexxuvas said

And crickets. Shame too, the PvP could have been done so much better. Now the whole game is in shambles and the devs are scrambling to revamp the whole game to make it accessible to others.

Heck, they can't even rassle up the Warhammer people to take the plunge, and that's bad.

Posted: Jan 22nd 2011 8:31PM Krelian said

The UI is what they should work on.

Before i get flamed to oblivion, i did try Darkfall and enjoyed the trial, and my favorite MMO ever is EQ1 so... i'm not asking for a 2011-polished UI but at least something better.

Posted: Jan 22nd 2011 8:47PM DancingCow said

Some of the changes they made since I tried it - back at launch - sound good, including a few of these. But I have the impression that the game still lacks coherence and the fact that they're only now looking at these 'long-standing issues' is pretty bad.

I am curious to see how they try to fix the alignment system but I doubt my curiosity will stretch to actually resubbing.

Posted: Jan 22nd 2011 9:44PM xBludx said

I am most interested in the "even playing field" concept. What does this mean? How does it related to grind?

Posted: Jan 22nd 2011 10:04PM 32ndLaw said

If they actually put in a level playing field I'd resub.

Posted: Jan 22nd 2011 10:38PM winterborn said

I thought Darkfall had NO leveling ?

Posted: Jan 22nd 2011 10:47PM Song7 said

@winterborn I see what you did there!

Also, I'll believe it when I see it.

Posted: Jan 22nd 2011 11:17PM warpax said

• 1 heart
Ill try it if they add PVE servers w/ Battle ground/designated PVP areas.
otherwise..nah nty

Posted: Jan 23rd 2011 12:38AM (Unverified) said

@warpax This.

It does sound like it defeats the entire point of a full PVP game but honestly, that's the problem to begin with. The PVP being full loot is awesome, but the PVP being everywhere is very harsh on new players and too rewarding for anyone wanting to gank people.

Posted: Jan 23rd 2011 3:00PM DancingCow said

@(Unverified)

That's the problem. Individually those game elements could each be great but put high skill grind + full open pvp + full looting + staggered launch with no wipe together...

... and you get the majority of the game running around completely naked and struggling to catch up while older, more powerful players zerg everything they see.

And I think warpax is right. Even though I think with some changes the current PvP server could become a great game, offering a PvE server could have made them bucketloads of money.

The PvE side of the game really is excellent. FPS + mobs who behave intelligently makes PvE challenging and interesting, rather than just a matter of point-clicking and then playing UI whack-a-mole as various powers cycle though their cooldowns.

Posted: Jan 23rd 2011 12:15AM Jade Effect said

• 1 heart
Can't really expect too much from a small MMO company.

Posted: Jan 23rd 2011 5:05AM Drunken Irish Sniper said

@Jade Effect. Lol! They're doing a better job than Square Enix and other well known game companies.

Posted: Jan 23rd 2011 5:54AM Dril said

@Jade Effect

CCP were small once.

Just sayin'.

Posted: Jan 23rd 2011 2:47AM Nucleon said

I like Darkfall. I love the skill and combat system. My biggest peeve, and the reason I'm not subbed is that there is little to do once you have a developed character in fairly short bursts of time. If I have an hour to play, there's nothing meaningful to do. Really the only aspect of the game that has any "meaning" is sieges.

It's the kind of game where unless you have 2-3 hours straight, and a group of people to team up with online there's nothing to do but grind cash or skills, which neither are very fun. I wish the game had meaningful PvE content, or Arena based PvP, or team skirmishes or something along those lines. But lacking it, there just isn't much to do.

Posted: Jan 23rd 2011 4:42PM Sethisto said

I had a blast in this game when It was new and there were people everywhere. But after about 2 months the population really started to die off. The game revolves so much around other players that having no one around really makes it pointless.

I tried heading back with one of my rl friends on a trial account to see what everyone was doing, and outside of a handful of small guilds running around, the game was even worst than when i left it.

It's a shame too.. the game really had some awesome potential.

Maybe if they throw it on steam or something it would garner some interest. Those 300vs300 sieges were way too amazing to not have a future.

Posted: Jan 24th 2011 8:03AM DancingCow said

@Sethisto

"The game revolves so much around other players that having no one around really makes it pointless."

The Achilles heel of sandbox design :(

Posted: Jan 25th 2011 4:03PM Evil Sagan said

Hey, Jef. I've been kind of MMO hopping for a few months now, and reading your Choose My Adventure columns got me interested in giving Darkfall a shot.

I'm not opposed to PvP, but for me it doesn't make an exciting core prospect. I like it as flavor or an alternative to other experiences in the same game. I like the outlook you've spelled out on dealing with ganking in the game, but I'm still a bit curious on what draws you in. As someone who started out with "themepark MMOs," but who read and dreamt about Ultima Online as a child, what can Darkfall offer me? I yearn for more freedom in my MMO experience, but is that represented exclusively by the addition of FFA PVP, or is there more to it?

MMO Week in Review: WoW's rebound

Posted on Nov 23rd 2014 8:00PM

EVE Evolved: What does Thera mean for EVE?

Posted on Nov 23rd 2014 6:00PM