Posted: Jan 23rd 2011 8:26AM Faryon said

"The first costume is basic but short-lived"
Not necessarily true! I'm level 30 and I still use the same exact costume I created in the character creator. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnNGyCo0sko

Posted: Jan 23rd 2011 9:39AM Krystalle Voecks said

@Faryon: Good point! I perhaps should have said.it has the potential to be short-lived if you find it too basic -- but as you've proven, some people can make the perfect look for their concept in the creator. :D.

Posted: Jan 23rd 2011 9:00AM bobfish said

It isn't bad, there are plenty of options and you get more as you level up, though most of what you unlock as you level up is actually what was available in the creator to start with.

The epic armor you get at level 30, is pretty nice, though they appear to be tied to your mentor so if you like a piece from a different mentor you can't get it, at least not that I've found.

What really disappoints me though is the lack of flexibility. In Champions I could assign armor pieces to individual parts of my body, there were simply more slots to be had and you didn't have to have the same piece on both arms or legs, or shoulders, etc. DCU is very rigid in how it lets you build your costume and indeed your character.

Very disappointed that I can't replicate even remotely, my Champions Online character, but on the flip side, some of the armor in DCU is way beyond anything you will see in Champions. And the game is simply more fun to play.

Posted: Jan 23rd 2011 11:45AM Snichy said

I love the way this game does costumes/gear - wish every MMO had the option of keeping the appearance and stats of gear seperate so you can pick and choose once they are found/unlocked.

Posted: Jan 23rd 2011 12:34PM Clockwork72 said

One thing to consider when creating a new character is that in game you can always set a slot to none later so you don't need to leave it empty when you design. So you don't need to create a bald character to be bald, you can just 'turn off' your hair once in game. Likewise with gloves, shoes, shoulders, etc.

Posted: Jan 23rd 2011 4:09PM Mhaer said

The other minor point that I really like is that it is one step beyond simply separating the "appearance tab" and the "equip tab". In those cases I still needed to store all the cool possibilities in my bank.

In DCUO though I don't have nearly the issues with banks space I would have otherwise since they are all stored in a drop down and you aren't actually swapping pieces of gear.

Posted: Jan 23rd 2011 5:24PM MewmewGirl said

I think the costumes are handled fine too, and not the least bit confusing either - even if you haven't played the game.

Most of us are used to having two different sets of gear in many games, your real gear you are wearing and your costume / appearance gear. If you don't know about that concept, you need to expand your gaming horizons above and beyond the few games you've tried.

It's not complicated in the least bit - you have a list of costume choices that include every piece of armor you've ever found and put on. You choose out of those for your looks, but your stats are affected by the armor you're actually wearing right then. You can choose to show your current armor, or any previous armor you've worn for your appearance.

I think it works out just fine. Sure, you don't get to be as awesome as you'd like right from the start, but it's pretty cool to find pieces as you go along that not many other people have yet and being able to be more rare because of it. You can change anytime anywhere on the fly, you don't have to go into any special place to change your looks. It's nice the way it is to me.