Posted: Jan 21st 2011 8:23AM Ocho said

Essentially, don't be a dick. Give everyone a shot, be aware of others around you, and don't think that just because someone is being attacked by 5 mobs doesn't mean that they need help.

This bugs me, when I'm being attack by multiple mobs that I can handle easily, and someone comes along to help, thinking they are "saving" me. (If you come across this, check their health first. If its dropping rapidly, lend a hand, if they are in control... leave them be)

Don't try to be "the hero", but at the same time, don't be a pushover... this is a competitive genre after all.

Posted: Jan 21st 2011 12:37PM Khalus said

@Ocho

Heck yeah, that bugs me more than anything else. Or at least ask, "do you need help?" instead of just jumping in acting all the hero!

Posted: Jan 21st 2011 2:36PM Bottleskup said

@Ocho

Oh god yeah, i remember sitting in LOTRO at one point in the early days of my Burg, with 5 or so mobs hitting me, I had that +50% evasion buff on (the name escapes me atm) and I was grinding evade for the trait, i was sitting drinking a cup of tea iirc, and was in no mortal danger.

It was extremely hard to do this without being rescued, although I always thanked my rescuer then explained what I was doing to them, often to confused replies. So yeah, I don't like being ninja rescued.

Posted: Jan 21st 2011 8:32AM Malagarr said

The best tip I can give is to both old school MMO'ers and newbies alike. That is, understand how the game you are playing works and don't hesitate to ask questions of others when in doubt.

Case in point, I've been playing DCUO lately. Quite often I'll see experienced MMO'ers complaining about other people jumping in and attacking mobs they are clearly engaged with, or completing an objective they were obviously clearing the way to. All of us know this is a mortal sin in most MMOs. Not so in DCUO, however. That's because in DCUO you share kills and quest objectives with everyone in the immediate area. That is to say, even if someone else completes your objective, so long as you are close enough, you'll get credit. Even if someone else kills your mob, if you've hit it even once, you'll get full credit. Now, sometimes, if the servers are severely lagged, you won't get credit. But that can happen even when no one else touches your objective.

Posted: Jan 21st 2011 1:15PM Faction 3 said

@Malagarr Ive had that issue in DCUO as well...the objective i'd be clearing the way to would then be taken by someone else while I was smashing the face of the dude whos guarding it....

Case & Point: Overloading the De-Evolution units in the Grodd Arc....you need to kill one of the Business suit Gorillas near the thing to interact with it, by the time Im done curb-stomping him, some geek with Flight Powers is "Holding E" over my objective.

Posted: Jan 21st 2011 8:42AM Matix said

Biggest one:

Learn your server's rules: I hate to be somewhat wishy-washy, but even within games every server seems to have its own set of rules regarding mobs, gathering nodes, rare spawns, etc. that can get you in trouble with folks who follow those norms.

Best example I have is from WOW. I've played on multiple servers and have found various inconsistencies:

PVP: On some PVP servers, a /wave will indicate to another faction member that you aren't hostile such that you can ignore each other and simply quest/level. On other servers if your name is red, you're dead.

Gathering nodes: MOST servers, you don't just run up and go for nodes someone else is going for. My first server, however, TO THIS DAY, follows the rule that a gathering node (herbs, mining, etc.) belongs to whoever actually gets it--even if the other guy spent the past five minutes clearing mobs to make a path to it.

[Side note: In games like Runescape, nodes are free-for-all and the 'first one going for it' rule doesn't exist!]

Guilds add another such layer to etiquette. Some guilds are fine with members being friends and chatting with whoever. However MANY raiding guilds I've encountered are actually mentally-disturbed-messed-up-in-the-head-SERIOUS about members talking to certain people (especially ex-guildies).

When I've encountered this most of the time this rule is applied to the point of these raid guilds being virtual cults who try to limit your access to outside family and friends. Oddly enough, however, on the servers I encountered this the players (even those not in raiding guilds) will get hostile with YOU for questioning this practice. >.<

Summary: Learn your server's etiquette rules. Ask questions, learn from experience, and try to play nice.

Posted: Jan 21st 2011 8:57AM Wgraves said

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you...

Otherwise you'll wake up in a clone a few jumps away...

Posted: Jan 21st 2011 10:10AM Luftwaffles said

@Wgraves LOL! Thats funny. They're getting spaced no matter how polite they are, and you and I both know it.

Posted: Jan 21st 2011 4:48PM CoolgyFurlough said

@Wgraves

I have to say, that is both awesome, and very true. :D

Posted: Jan 21st 2011 9:37AM Yukon Sam said

Don't beg. All MMOs, even the most mercenary, have mechanisms whereby you can make some money with little or no gear and work your way up. Most players tend to consider begging to be the epitome of laziness and expect you to earn your keep the hard way.

If you simply must beg, be creative and polite about it. If you can make people smile, they might part with a few coins or some newbie gear. If they do, be grateful -- even if they're dumping vendor trash on you, you can sell it for spare change.

And if you mention that you're a new player trying to learn the ropes, WITHOUT begging, you might run into one of the generous souls who will kit you out smartly for free, or at least offer some useful advice on getting started. If that happens, remember to pay it forward to some clueless newbie YOU run across after you're established... as long as they're not begging :)

Posted: Jan 21st 2011 9:54AM Jenks said

Why type the words quote-unquote?

Posted: Jan 21st 2011 11:18AM Resurge said

@Jenks

lol i noticed that too ..thought about reminding him that this article is actually in type :)

Posted: Jan 21st 2011 12:58PM KDolo said

@Jenks
Maybe his shift key is broken :)

Posted: Jan 21st 2011 1:08PM Epiny said

@KDolo
The quote-unquote is to emphasize his reluctance to be a teacher or that he isn't really a teacher, but being forced to be a make shift one.

Posted: Jan 21st 2011 1:59PM Plastic said

@Epiny Thanks for the "explanation"

;p

Posted: Jan 21st 2011 10:43AM Malagarr said

Maybe he's paid per character? ,-)

Posted: Jan 21st 2011 11:20AM Tizmah said

Another rule,

Check your freakin' mic. I don't like to hear you breathing, yelling at your mom, or listen to your game repeating through my speakers. This is especially true in DCUO.

Posted: Jan 21st 2011 11:42AM cowboyhugbees said

Don't hate on RPers. And don't draw mob trains in group instances.

Posted: Jan 21st 2011 11:56AM TheElvenAssassin said

@cowboyhugbees

Here, here. Just because you don't understand RPers doesn't mean you have to be rude. ;)

"And don't draw mob trains in group instances" especially if you're a healer! I mean it's one thing to pull mobs because you're heals are generating too much aggro, but please don't run into a room and aggro the whole dang thing. We WILL let you die...

Posted: Jan 21st 2011 12:16PM cowboyhugbees said

@TheElvenAssassin I'm talking more about the "Leeroy Jenkins" kind of jackassery