Posted: Jan 21st 2011 1:41PM TxRedcoat said

• Half a heart
How about focusing on getting the game to run at all before working on gameplay tweaks? I can't experience the crappy UI, awful auction house and bland quest lines if I can't even get the game to start properly.

Posted: Jan 21st 2011 1:58PM relgoth said

sounds like you need to contact tech support instead of talking to a content developer

Posted: Jan 21st 2011 2:01PM Syesta said

Yoshi-P is turning out to be a fantastic addition to the team. Makes me wish he'd been on the case from the onset.Anyways, there's a TON more stuff here than I expected, and the vast majority of which will be welcomed with arms stretched.

Also interested in how they may implement jumping. They could do something similar to FFXIII where it can be triggered at key points or features in the geography where it's of use. I'd rather not have free jumping, as I agree with Tanaka on the point that, it's useless in situations where it isn't necessary. I believe his words were "Even if you jump, nothing will happen."

Very interested to see how the company system will turn out. Also looking forward to the additions and changes to the armoury and combat systems.

I have full confidence that the UI improvements will be stellar. Hiroshi Minagawa has yet to disappoint.

Posted: Jan 21st 2011 10:35PM Locus said

@Syesta

What isn't useless in situations where it isn't necessary? Weapons are useless in situations where they aren't necessary. Cure spells are pretty useless in situations where they aren't necessary.

For me, being able to free-form jump over an crack in the ground that only reaches to my shin instead of having to open a menu and select an option to do so would be quite a nice feature. I also enjoy high places in MMORPGs and adding a third dimension enables certain features such as those encounters in World of Warcraft where you have to jump to avoid ground-based attacks.

Saying "nothing will change after jumping" implies an incorrect concept of jumping where it's entirely visual and has absolutely no functionality - which really isn't the point of jumping at all. Sure, people sometimes enjoy jumping up and down on the spot and some other people find it annoying, but you could say the same for people that cast spells with loud or flashy effects in crowded areas. Does that mean we should remove those spells? No, because they have function even if you're using it in the wrong place.

Posted: Jan 21st 2011 11:49PM Syesta said

@Locus Ahh, but therein lies the problem (if you will). FFXIV is designed to need weapons and spells. It's not designed to need jumping at all.

I think we both agree that there are situations where it can be used. but I believe that there needs to be context before they go through implementing it at this point.

Posted: Jan 22nd 2011 9:16PM Irem said

@Syesta
Jumping is primarily an immersion and movement thing. If I can jump up onto rocks and leap off of things, that's a lot more exciting and feels more "real" than if my character is absolutely bound by the landscape. Having to find exactly the correct pathways down into and out of stuff in XI because I ran into a little piece of landscape that I couldn't run off of or walk over was incredibly tiresome, and was a constant reminder that I was in a computer-generated landscape (albeit a beautiful one). The fact that Tanaka dismissed the value of it so offhandedly makes me a little sad, because being able to jump is so visually interesting and can make even routine travel more fun. Jumping across and over and off of things accounted for a good 30% of my playtime in WoW. >_>

Posted: Jan 23rd 2011 11:20PM Transientmind said

@Syesta

Have you EVER tried to navigate Ul'dah? Or worse, those streams in Gridania... God forbid I escape the water at the wrong point because I might accidentally bang my shin on some dirt. I can understand penalizing those ridiculous lalafel, but seriously... "Sorry, 20cm is too high to step over, go around."

'Not designed to need jumping at all' indeed. Pfft.

Posted: Jan 21st 2011 2:13PM JohnFordColey said

The fact that he is even considering adding jumping to the game already makes Yoshida a valued addition to the team.

Overall, I really like the overall tone of the letter. He seems to have a firm grasp on what is wrong with the game, and laying out how the team plans to fix these problems shows an openness that SE should have shown from the get-go. I also like the fact that they're planning to open official forums, which should help foster community and let the team know of immediate player reaction to the updates.

Now all they have to do is actually implement the fixes and improvements, and FFXIV will be on the fast road to recovery.

Posted: Jan 21st 2011 2:33PM relgoth said

id really like to see it recover, i wish no ill will of this game. but the state its in now i just cant play it. my experience is only from beta, so that is something to be said. heres to hoping this game turns out to be solid so i have a new toy to play with

Posted: Jan 21st 2011 3:24PM HokieKC said

• 1 heart
I suggest they start adding some 'fun' into the game.

Posted: Jan 21st 2011 4:01PM InkSix said

@HokieKC

Thanks for that old tired joke that isn't funny.

Posted: Jan 21st 2011 4:01PM InkSix said

I'm very excited for the future of my MMO.

Posted: Jan 21st 2011 5:41PM Arkanaloth said

it certainly sounds promising, we'll have to wait and see.

Posted: Jan 21st 2011 7:43PM TheGreatMachine said

I don't play the game but I hope yous do get jumping. If nothing else it sends a message they should have listened to players in the first place.

Posted: Jan 21st 2011 11:23PM Drunken Irish Sniper said

Sadly no word on them taking out that stupid EXP gain limit.

Other than that I'm looking forward to him repairing FFXIV and with any luck he can make it playable.

Posted: Jan 22nd 2011 12:44AM Zorak said

85% of current players are interested in seeing the game fundamentally changed. That's quite a fact, but you have to wonder, what other game dev would put such info out in public? and if the same kind of poll was taken in other games, how high would that number be? I'm guessing it would be pretty high in most games.

Posted: Jan 24th 2011 5:24PM JoolaPrime said

Wow, this sounds great. I might have to reinstall it.