Posted: Jan 21st 2011 5:35PM Dril said

"Empire & State is browser-based, and this has shaped the experience we're providing. By targeting the browser, we're able to reach the widest possible audience."

I had such high hopes when I read "political."

Pity, although I really can't see how having a larger audience is going to work in a political MMO, everyone'll just be a different type of thug rather than actually trying to carve out a niche or form different parties and the like.

Oh well; I can still hope someone overhauls Face of Mankind.

Posted: Jan 21st 2011 5:40PM tk421242 said

I applaud the use of the word cacophony.

Posted: Jan 21st 2011 5:56PM J Brad Hicks said

Like Dril, I had high hopes when I read the headline. But it looks like the extent of the "politics" in Empire & State will be the "politics" of EVE -- the biggest guilds control terrain, or whatever.

(Editing note: in the 4th para from the end, 1st sentence, please hyphenate "category-definining." I had to read the sentence twice to make sense of it, because my brain wanted to use "defining" as the verb.)

Posted: Jan 21st 2011 6:12PM Ayenn said

I read free-to-play and then browser-based and, like Dril and Brad, The game "turned off" for me. Defend free-to-play and browser-based all you like. For myself and every single person I play games with regularly both of those equate to a bad community and lackluster mechanical expression.

I had hopes when I read "political MMO". Oh well. Back to designing and waiting.

Posted: Jan 21st 2011 6:35PM Xilmar said

well this sure burst my bubble. was so excited after reading the first paragraph that the first thing i did after opening the full article was to search for the word "beta".

i mean common, a political centred gameplay in an MMO would be the next best thing after the internet IMO. but sadly it's just a browser game, like the hundreds of good and bad political games out there for everyone to ignore.

it's a bit discouraging to see that yet again someone had a totally brilliant idea for a game and then asked himself "how can i get as many people as i can on it" rather than "how can i make this the best game possible". seriously, making a political browser based game is just one step above making a political game for the iphone.

anyways, best of luck to Novel (ironic, isn't it) Inc with it...but honestly, even if they reach 1 million players in the first month, it's still going to be kinda shit. too bad.

P.S. quantity is NEVER better than quality, and this applies to everything from features to player base...someone should really tell Brayden that.

Posted: Jan 21st 2011 6:40PM DFuzzy1 said

Political MMO? Already done in Global Luminary: Rize of the Goonzu. But I'll keep this on my radar :)

Posted: Jan 21st 2011 6:50PM claytondora said

Seriously, political intrigue and "accessibility" will never go together without a large degree of forcing or an incredible innovation in gameplay. Browser-based games FTL. There are simply too many restrictions when it comes to what you can do with (and in) a browser-based mmo.

Posted: Jan 22nd 2011 6:09AM Cwurle said

I agree with above posters - "f2p" = minor turn off, "browser based" = major turn off. Such a shame.

Posted: Jan 22nd 2011 8:30PM JuliusSeizure said

Yeah, I read this and got so jazzed for the idea, then was struck by sudden crushing disappointment... when I hit the comments.

Seriously, folks. Browser-based is a medium, and like all media it has possibilities outside of the prevailing sentiment. Kneejerk reactions just make you jerks with overactive knees.

Posted: Jan 23rd 2011 4:51PM Dblade said

@JuliusSeizure Unless they are using the unity engine, or other browser-based 3-D techs, it's just going to be a boring clickfest. Since their other game was Faunasphere, I don't have high hopes for that.

Posted: Jan 23rd 2011 5:05PM PaperStab said

If 'accessibility' means a 'stupider-on-average' playerbase to the people commenting here, then wouldn't that improve the political aspect of the MMO?

Posted: Feb 7th 2011 9:12PM Suezanne said

"Empire & State" sent me a beta invite, but the forums, which did let me register, won't let me post, there's a security certificate problem "The application's digital signature cannot be verified.", , and when I tell it to run anyway, The screen turns white, then black, and nothing happens. This is with Firefox 3.6.12.

When you go to the forum site, there's still a tab to sign up for the alpha, even though it's now in beta.

Philip Borgnes | 8383 158th Ave NE #250 | Redmond, WA 98052

Posted: Feb 8th 2011 7:31AM Suezanne said

Now the empireandstate.com site servers are down.