Posted: Jan 21st 2011 3:15PM DemonXaphan said

From what i read it sounds even more solo friendly than WOW.
May give this a try later in the year.

Posted: Jan 22nd 2011 9:23PM Amberdreams said

• 1 heart
@DemonXaphan that is not a great idea TBH, the game is far from completed and polished, hope in the future they would, cause DnD is a huge name, shame Turbine only semi cared of the game's development

Posted: Jan 21st 2011 3:58PM shockologist said

Actully I would say that solo gamers may spend more in the cash shop than heavy group players would...gold contracts potions etc. I have tried the game from both standpoints and found that to I spent 3x as much on consumables solo playing,

Posted: Jan 21st 2011 3:59PM Tom in VA said

I have always appreciated how DDO is structured. I like the instancing, the dungeons, the puzzles of various sorts, the story-telling, and the hirelings. These things are all great for players like me looking for a "predominantly solo with occasional grouping" online game.

Unfortunately, DDO in execution is another matter.

I was disappointed by DDO's mediocre graphics, ugly (imo) character models and armors, arcane stat system, clunky UI, and bad hireling AI. I'm hopeful that Neverwinter (Cryptic) will manage to address many of these issues and so "one-up" DDO in a similar, but improved game.

Posted: Jan 21st 2011 4:11PM Seffrid said

I welcome the concept of appealing to all playstyles, it's made a lot of business sense to me for a lot longer than developers have been recognising it.

As a 99% solo player I don't expect all the content to be stacked in my favour, not even all classes, but I won't touch a game that is stacked against my playstyle and requires me to group to achieve anything. Fortunately those games are few and far between these days, and the market is a lot better off as a result.

As for DDO, it was a good write-up thanks Rubi, including some stuff I wasn't aware of, so I'd best have another look at the game some time as I last played it shortly after hirelings came in.

Posted: Jan 21st 2011 4:21PM Myopic Aardvark said

Would have loved to have tried it, but unfortunately, every time I try to sign up for an account, I get a "Your submission contained an error. Please try again." and a code that seems to be generated randomly.

Advice online says try a different browser, try clearing history, cookies etc. Doesn't work. I've tried 3 different browsers on 3 different systems (including my phone) and it doesn't work.

And from what I can see on Google, it's been doing that for a fair few people since 2009.

Shame. Oh well, back to Champions...

Posted: Jan 21st 2011 4:51PM pid said

@Myopic Aardvark
I had the same problem but I don't remember how I solved it.
Somehow I seem to remember that there were more than one subscription page. One that didn't work, and another that did.
But I'm sorry I can't be any more specific, I really don't remember and I have no urge to google it right now :)

Posted: Jan 21st 2011 4:47PM pid said

I soloed a lot in DDO and at some point I had to grind a bit, because I exhausted the doable quests (was a paying VIP) and those non-doable were way too hard.
The grind was in those "open" areas, completing all objectives.
It's a good thing they try to take some grind out.
I'll never forget "The Pit"...

Posted: Jan 21st 2011 4:51PM Neanot said

Myopic, I had the same problem. I ended up using the Hopspot Shield Proxy service to get a US IP address, and that sorted it straight out.

Now I am enjoying soloing as a Sorc and having a great time.

Posted: Jan 21st 2011 6:20PM urgan said

This is a genuine question. Did they fix the problem of having too many puzzles? I don't like puzzles in games I play, I like action. I tried the game before, but there were too many puzzles for my liking. If there are less puzzles now or ways to progress without them, then I'll give it a try again.

Posted: Jan 22nd 2011 5:46AM Graill440 said

DDO began scaling two years ago. Something everyone likes, except those busybodies that cant keep their noses in their own lane. The ability to choose single or groupsize and diffuculty is great, a common sense move that happened and the public likes it...well duh.

Since DDO went endless trial/microtransaction model you can access some of the content but not the good stuff unless you pay for it, they give you a taste like all the endless trial/microtransaction models do and hope you hook yourself.

The game would be a no brainer for me if the graphics werent so outdated, they simply reek of 10 year mold and cobwebs. That and the instancing is a bit much, not as bad as when it first began but still too much.

Posted: Feb 27th 2011 2:38PM dudes said