Posted: Jan 20th 2011 7:37PM JoeH42 said

Another big one: DO talk to someone before inviting them. But I hope that largely goes without saying so I'll skip to my #1 DO for making a guild:
DO Make a guild that's got a specific purpose. DON'T make a guild that's the exact same as every guild in the world. Does this sound familiar:
"Hi! Dorkfully Dorks is now recruiting! We are a fun, laid back guild that want to raid together and help each other level. We've got vent, a guild website, and are accepting all classes and levels!"

The most successful guilds are usually those with a more specific or unique core idea. A guild that focuses on level 29 twink BGs are looks for people for that reason is going to have players doing stuff together a lot more often then a big vaguely organized one. In DDO I was a member of the Mature Adventurer's Club which was designed for mature players, that means people that can go for more than 10 minutes without making a "your mom" comment or using foul language (using foul language = immature and the only people who think otherwise fit the description and I know someone's going to want to argue about that but I don't care). They had a purpose to being in the guild and were well organized and were one of the more successful guilds out there (at least for my definition of the word success).
There are of course guilds that focus on end-game and etc. but I'd say 90% of the guilds just hit that 'generic' nail right on the head over and over and never really get anywhere. They might get a bunch of people in the guild but there's no real goal and so little actual progress is made.
So, kind of like the "do get known for something" part of this article, Do have a purpose to your guild that'll give people a reason to join it vs. joining another guild.

Posted: Jan 21st 2011 1:09AM Vagrant Zero said

@JoeH42 Anyone that uses foul language is immature in any and all situations? Is that a fact?

Well I've got zombie George Carlin here (freshly risen from the grave too!) and he thinks you're a #$%@* ##$##@^ %^$#@%.

His words, not mine.

Posted: Jan 21st 2011 5:55AM JoeH42 said

@Vagrant Zero By all means, share a link for any video where Carlin talks about how using foul language is a sign of maturity. Carlin talked about the subject any number of times, we all know the seven words, but I'm afraid I've never seen where he argues that they are a sign of anything positive. Whereas anyone who is in a position of importance in the world knows that resorting to crude and foul language is the sign of someone unable to do otherwise. It takes no skill to swear, even the Viet Cong could manage it. But to be able to speak with power and precision, and especially to be able to lay into someone verbally without resorting to sounding like a teenager, that's a skill that can come in handy in all sorts of situations. In any case, I'll leave myself at that and not spend any more time and effort on this subject or muddy up the forums with an argument. But people are welcome to respond to this if it brings them joy. *shrugs*

Posted: Jan 21st 2011 12:43AM Aetrix said

Posted: Jan 22nd 2011 10:54AM Valdamar said

Don't try and build a huge guild overnight - build a solid core of a guild first, and make sure that runs soothly for a month or so, before you start adding people. Personally as a guild leader I would do that by only inviting friends first - I would pick my first officers from that core group - then you bulk the guild out later - first you should only invite platers that existing members are willing to vouch for and recommend. Always value the opinions of existing members on new applicants - if an existing member doesn't want an applicant in the guild for whatever reason, don't invite them.

Later you can look for new people but make sure you play together with them on several occasions without ever mentioning the possibility of them joining your guild before you invite them - you don't want people pretending to be on their best behaviour just to get into your guild then unleash their true natures - so you can identify any behaviours that may clash with your existing guildmates.

Build slow, build steadily, and you'll build a guild that lasts - often that lasts beyond the game you're currently playing.

Sure, you can just invite tons of people and sort them all out later, but be prepared for lots of drama and having to kick lots of unsuitable people, which can taint your own reputation by association.

I don't see how playing in a guild that mass invites random people is any different to just staying unguilded, playing with the general population and using public chat channels as your pseudo-guildchat.

Posted: Jan 26th 2011 5:32AM Alberoth said

I started my guild years ago, then we merged with a bigger guild to fill in the holes in their roster for raiding and things were going great guns for a couple of years. Then the guild master of the guild we merged with started getting all stressed and strained and started recruiting for 25mans and was just accepting anyone and we got some right numpties join us.

Then a few of the old guild members and a couple of guys from the merged guild started talking to me about restarting my old guild as a strictly 10man raiding guild. And after much deliberation, I started moving my lesser played characters back into the old guild and started inviting back all the old guild members to the guild. Although a lot of them made new toons and were playing on them all the time.

Then we started raiding and we were a couple of people short, so I went out and looked for people who filled the holes in our raids who werent involved in a guild and we went to have fun. If the person seemed to fit in well, I would invite them to the guild after discussing it with the rest of the officers.

In short, instead of us becoming a hardcore raiding guild like the merged guild was trying to do, we retained our friendly social have fun at all costs attitude. The majority of the members are mature players (most of them mid 30's and above) with a smattering of younger players. We dont actively recruit people to the guild, but we have over 150 characters in the guild... most of them are alts but we dont care. If we have to recruit someone, we usually invite them to raids or instances with us and see how they go with some of the more madcapped members and if they survive the acid test and are still interested, they get an invite.

Everyone uses either their toon names or their first names and there is a friendly family attitude (one of the members 8 year old has a couple of characters in the guild so we all know when to keep things toned down a bit) and no one wants to leave the guild.

We have enough people to run 4 5 man teams and I have just organised the first 2 of them and I am going to be tanking to one of our tanks about him taking the third team.

I have seen what random recruiting can do to a guild and I would prefer to keep things nice and tight and have everyone feeling like family in the guild.

The Stream Team: Warlords of Draenor dungeon fun

Posted on Dec 28th 2014 7:00PM

One Shots: Ignore physics and jump already!

Posted on Dec 28th 2014 10:00AM