Posted: Jan 20th 2011 3:13PM NomadShadow said

So anyone else notice how they put "friend" in quotes when telling you that an old friend would be visiting for the birthday bash? I'm thinking Q on this one.....

Posted: Jan 20th 2011 3:55PM cowboyhugbees said

@NomadShadow That would be cool. Although I'd love to see Data.

Posted: Jan 20th 2011 4:08PM Lucid Renegade said

@NomadShadow
IIRC, Spock is supposed to have gone to the alternate universe by this point in the timeline, so I'm hoping you're right.

Posted: Jan 21st 2011 9:24AM Snichy said

@NomadShadow

I too thought Q as soon as I saw it!

Posted: Jan 20th 2011 3:18PM Tezcatli said

Kay, new to STO, don't know if this is already in the game. But I'd like to see an open PvP map where anamolies and rare missions are the prize. But at the same time I imagine myself cruising through. Pan back and see one ship trailing me. Then a few seconds later pan back again and see three back there. xD

Posted: Jan 20th 2011 3:26PM pcgneurotic said

"As long it's something that doesn't find and kill me every time I leave my ship floating unattended in sector space, I'm all for it." ahaha! /signed

Posted: Jan 20th 2011 5:24PM Ryn said

Ryan, you do a great job on your column, I really enjoy it. I have a lifetime to STO, and I must say being there from day one, it has come a long way. There are still things to do, but keeping this pace of improvements and additions, STO can really become quite the game.

Putting Stahl in charge was definitely the right move. He has really made a huge difference.

Posted: Jan 20th 2011 5:54PM Caerus said

"You know how some of the coolest ship types, such as the Defiant or the Constitution, show up at early levels and then grow obsolete quickly? Well, the team at Cryptic doesn't plan to let us buy updated, high-level versions of those ships..."

There is an updated, high-level version of the Defiant available at Vice Admiral.

Posted: Jan 20th 2011 5:56PM Caerus said

@Caerus In case someone wants a link:

Tier 4 Defiant

Tier 5 Defiant Refit

Posted: Jan 20th 2011 7:16PM shockologist said

Is the foundry live? i have been waiting for that to resub for a few months.

Posted: Jan 20th 2011 7:33PM J Brad Hicks said

@shockologist They revised the timeline. Too many people were complaining about it not having their most-wanted feature, so rather than roll it out as it is and add those features in late February or early March, they're holding off on releasing it until that first batch of added features is done, currently projected to be around early March.

Posted: Jan 20th 2011 7:29PM J Brad Hicks said

If you read all of the developer posts, they've been pretty clear what they mean about "re-architecting" the existing missions.

The existing storyline missions were created with an in-house piece of software called Project Genesis -- but about all it did was speed up art generation. All of the mission text, objectives, behaviors, NPC abilities, and so forth were specified the same old way every MMO has done it: with some incomprehensible coding tool, probably some kind of interpreted language or else some set of spreadsheet macros. Well, that got the job done, but the resulting files are almost impossible to debug -- as evidenced by the fact that still, to this day, in over half of the missions, if you run into a miniboss with a cone effect weapon, he wipes your team on the first shot. As evidenced also by the fact that it took them months and months just to fix buildings floating in mid air and interactible objects buried in the ground where they couldn't be clicked on and spawn points with bugged heights that caused NPCs to spawn below the bounding box.

Since then, they've built The Foundry. Which almost certainly can't import and parse the old mission files. But which is so much better than the old tools that it is probably faster to completely recreate almost all of the level 1-50 main content in The Foundry than it is to debug the existing content.

Will they rewrite some of it at the same time? Yeah, a little bit; they've given a few examples. The tricks they used in "Weekly" Series 2, where each character had special optional objectives that were specific to their character class, they want to back-port into older missions now that they know how to do that.

But it looks like it'll still be the same storyline, on pretty much the same maps. Only better debugged, easier to debug going forward, and trivially easy to make able to rescale to your character level.

Posted: Jan 21st 2011 2:45AM StClair said

@J Brad Hicks :
That... sounds so much like CoH, its original content, and the Mission Architect it's almost funny. Almost.

Posted: Jan 28th 2011 2:36AM Angn said

Ryan, I hope you cover ground combat eventually, assuming there's news from Cryptic regarding that aspect of the game.

Ground combat is a HUGE turn off right now. I'd be all over a lifetime sub if we could just have more information about where Cryptic is heading with it in Season 4. Ground battles degenerate quickly into absurd Benny Hill-like scenes, no one's using cover, no zones of control, just utter chaos as mobs chasing the captain as her officers shoot them Running around endless, empty, boring corridors. Micromanaging officers. It's a big unforgivable chunk of Stupid.

One Shots: Ignore physics and jump already!

Posted on Dec 28th 2014 10:00AM