Posted: Jan 20th 2011 8:33PM DemonXaphan said

Happy birthday to you!.
Agreed the still pic as well as the cartoon look very bad.

Posted: Jan 20th 2011 8:40PM (Unverified) said

Happy Birthday Eliot! :)

And good news from the Joystiq sister site on the Starcraft mod:

Good to see Blizzard being friendly and the creator of the mod getting a chance at such a job. :)

Posted: Jan 20th 2011 8:46PM Locus said

I'd tease you about your narcissism, but it's your birthday.

Catwoman was also prominent on the V-side loading screens during the beta. I don't think she's entirely appropriate as she's always been depicted as more amoral than immoral, but marketing states that you have to have at least one pair of boobs in the promo art to make an impact.

Given DC's lineup of popular iconic villains, that leaves Catwoman, Harley and Ivy, all of which are Batman villains (Supes generally doesn't punch women much and personally, I don't really know anyone that reads Wonder Woman or takes it seriously.).

It's then a choice of elimination. You have the femme fatale, the bunny-boiler and the psychotic hippy. I think the first is probably the most socially appealing if left to a three-second marketing judgment.

I enjoyed DCUO, but Wonder Woman just left me cold. Her voice actor sounds like the runner-up for the Xena, Warrior Princess amateur dramatics competition. Also: residual lasso graphic bugs get annoying pretty quickly.

Posted: Jan 20th 2011 9:12PM JonBuck said

@Locus On the other hand, when Batman hands me the next mission I say: "Right away, sir!" Yeah, the voice actress for Woman Woman is underwhelming.

Posted: Jan 21st 2011 4:36AM pcgneurotic said

@Locus

"I don't really know anyone that reads Wonder Woman or takes it seriously."

You don't really know thousands of loyal WW fans then. ;)

Posted: Jan 20th 2011 10:14PM Zach Adams said

I'm going to have nightmares about "Carnage in C-Minor" now, aren't I?

On the DC Online front, I really feel like the lining-out of villains was arbitrary and poorly thought out. There is simply no way that potential world-conquerors like the Queen Bee and Grodd should be level 5-10 encounters.

Posted: Jan 21st 2011 4:25PM Faryon said

@Zach Adams [SPOILERS] You see them again later in the game.

Posted: Jan 20th 2011 11:13PM Jeromai said

Happy birthday!

Also feeling old now. Thought of a question: what non-traditional/not-so-popular MMO do Massively staffers feel is their favorite, and why?

Non-traditional meaning no cop-outs with WoW, Everquest or LOTRO as answers. Preferably no City of Heroes or Guild Wars either, go for the less heard of, less populated titles.

Posted: Jan 21st 2011 12:30AM Kaoss said

Happy Birthday.

Just have to say you are an awesome writer, good humour and always well put.

Posted: Jan 21st 2011 2:54AM alzeer said

@Kaoss
^^ this

Posted: Jan 21st 2011 4:22AM Elikal said

Happy Birthday, mate! :)

Posted: Jan 21st 2011 6:22AM Locus said

@pcgneurotic

I admit that's correct, I don't. Maybe not in my area(Asia), it's always mostly been the gothic lines that have sold well, although there's quite a sizeable clique of Green Lantern/Flash fans for some weird reason.

Eliot, Naoki Yoshida finally posted an update on lodestone that suggests that FF14 might be implementing jumping. It's quite interesting and you might want to cover it as soon as possible.

Posted: Jan 22nd 2011 10:44AM Valdamar said

Some questions for next time:

What single gameplay feature would each Massively staff member like to see in forthcoming or current MMOs that isn't being catered for by existing games?

We all know how important our first MMO was - how it was the foundation for our opinions of all the MMOs that followed - what was the very first MMO that each Massively staffer played? Do you still play it sometimes? If not, what made you quit?

MMO Week in Review: QueueAge