Posted: Jan 19th 2011 10:56AM cjgoldsmith said

I've got a death student and I found it hard to choose a second school. After I had racked up quite a few training points I decided to go with myth. I chose myth because when I trained for my spirit blades and traps (balance spells) I could use both schools spells with one set of blades and traps. Also, it's good to train ice up to tower spell, life up to satyr (optional for death since you can heal yourself :] ) and balance for weakness. Oh, it's also good to train for some shields as well. :)

Posted: Jan 19th 2011 11:08AM Avernus said

"I looked completely metal. For those younger players who might not understand what that means, Google "Dio" and watch a few videos. Avoid Slayer -- your parents would not like that. (Note: If you come across a band called Queensryche, that's not metal.)"

You basically summarized an era there. Win.

Posted: Jan 19th 2011 11:14AM Beau Hindman said

@Avernus Shhhh! And Slayer rulesssss! :)

Beau

Posted: Jan 19th 2011 11:15AM grvygirly said

I have a legendary death, I have more than one secondary school, I think you should do Ice school up to tower shield and life school up to satyr. Its great for pvp

Posted: Jan 19th 2011 11:33AM CassDragonHeart said

Hope Ice gets picked, that Tower shield is WAY too important to get bypassed! You will already have life/myth shield combo from Death school and your own death shield. Tower and the volcanic shield are way important for those elemental attacks!

Posted: Jan 19th 2011 11:45AM 82jp said

I know you've got to go where the votes go, but myth is a great secondary school for death, at least up to humongofrog, since death doesn't get any hits-all-enemies spells until lvl 48. I don't think life is a great secondary school for death since death doesn't usually have health problems due to health-stealing spells. The primary advantage would be to boost on death, and you'll get comparable damage to a boost on death with myth spells. Troll will serve you well through lvl 20 at least. Tower shield is great, but for death not really worth the training points for a bunch of ice spells you'll rarely use.
I don't really PvP, so my experience and advice is all for PvE purposes only :).

Posted: Jan 19th 2011 11:50AM Beau Hindman said

AGH! Stop telling me how cool everything is! My head...she'll explode! :)

While I wait for this vote, I'll be playing and leveling. So if it gets to the point that I can pick a school, I will still wait for the vote. /nailbiting

Beau

Posted: Jan 19th 2011 11:52AM 82jp said

As far as pets are concerned, I honestly don't have much use for a pet that doesn't at least boost my stats, and I prefer to use one that comes with a card. I voted for diseased wildclaw, but I got it confused with helpful wildclaw, which is a crowns card pet and comes with dragonblade certain times of year. Dragonblade is something you definitely want to get your hands on, since it will boost your steal health spells significantly.

Another thought on secondary schools: balance is far superior as a primary school, and not really great at all as a secondary school. It's best spells are definitely balance-only (I have a lvl 35 balance wizard). Weakness is ok, but if you weigh (-25%) to a spell against using a shield or some other zero-pip spell, I think you'll get less return in the long run from weakness. And a previous poster noted that there is an amulet that gives you two cards that actually take off 30%.

Posted: Jan 19th 2011 11:57AM SorceressMiklai said

It IS hard to choose a secondary for death because there are so many good options. I have 3 death wizards so far; one trained in life, one in ice, one I can't decide if I want myth or fire.

I think it depends on what activities you plan on doing while you are being a "marionette". Ice is good because you do get the tower shield as well as the glacial shields (storm/fire) but more importantly you will get an AoE spell that you wouldn't get for your own school until level 48 (Blizzard/Meteor/Humungofrog). Pips are not that much of an issue because of Empower treasure cards. Like what was said before me, you can make use of those spirit tri blades and traps with myth as well as your own death spells.

For your pets, again that depends on your secondary. The zombie is good for you definitely because it is a death pet that can manifest death usable talents (death-shot, -giver, and -proof). The lava spider could possibly help you out if you go with fire as a secondary since it offers the fire talents (fire-shot, -giver, -proof) plus also can give a fire shield or trap.

Posted: Jan 19th 2011 12:07PM DragonSinger said

Beau, I've been on Wizard101 since just after it went Open Play from Beta. I have a Death Wizard who's almost at the point of getting their "Master of Death" Badge. Life is the way to go, since it augments Death's ability to keep you Health total high and has attacks which almost never fails. And with health-providers like Sprite and Satyr, its a rare day I actually die from lack of healing power. My own deck is a leech-style deck of Vampires and Wraiths, pumped by Blades, Traps, Curses, and even Poison, backed by Seraph and my Grimcaster Sword (Death 90; give 1 Power Pip at start). Works; Enjoy....

Posted: Jan 19th 2011 1:08PM paraLogiki said

I just installed and was going to try out the game, but no invert mouse and no strage :(

I did find a way to customize the controls editting the config file though, but man, nothing turns me off of a game quicker than no way to invert the mouse...

Posted: Jan 19th 2011 1:48PM d0210 said

Hey Beau while it is a difficult decision to choose a secondary school I think that Fire would compliment a death wizard very nicely. I have a Fire wizard and her secondary school is a sampling of all the others, but mostly death spells. The higher spells are very useful in the battles with higher energy bosses. As for a pet, they're cute, but only really useful if they can give you some power or strength to use in battle. I have two lvl 56 wizards, one life the other fire and fire is pretty strong against the majority of monsters/bosses in Dragonspyre. Good luck.

Posted: Jan 19th 2011 2:13PM IcyWiz said

Really enjoyed your article Beau.

Posted: Jan 19th 2011 2:55PM Romanime said

Maybe you dont want to go through the trouble but a lot of the more experienced players have multiple secondary schools.
Like they might train
Ice up to tower shield
fire up to meteor strike
and so on

Posted: Jan 19th 2011 3:15PM Ripper McGee said

but, but Queensr├┐che has an umlaut! There's nothing more metal than an umlaut!

That being said, life is a great secondary, but why not do something different like Ice? Also, it's good to mix up your skills so they aren't directly opposed to each other (fire/ice, death/life, etc..) because many mobs that cast one school of magic tend to resist its opposite.

~Ripper

Posted: Jan 19th 2011 3:34PM groomiester said

how do we find you in game if we want to join you for your exploits? can you give us a time and place when and where you will be, like hanging outside the bazaar in olde town, around 6:00 eastern time, on the sprite realm. just for an example. keep in mind, you can't go to a realm if it is already full, so try picking a realm that is perfect or normal populated so others can find you. thanks.

Posted: Jan 19th 2011 4:49PM starcatcher said

ok - so my death wiz is my latest and i absolutely LOVE playing that school. i selected storm (SO powerful) as my secondary because while life might seem the perfect balance (what the spiral is all about), death already has awesome heals....so you really are duplicating effort. Storm gives you the immense hits but traditionally low life - so with death you can whip out your handy dandy heals as needed.
additionally - as other commenters have said, you really want to save up your training points to use in those secret shops for handy spells like reshuffle. you also definitely want to get the balance blades once you hit krokotopia...can't do those things if you run out of points.
just something to keep in mind :-)

Posted: Jan 19th 2011 6:00PM AluraDeathsong said

Honestly I have a death student and I picked myth as my secondary school, but once I hit level 30 something I rarely even use my secondary school. However I do feel it important to get the two balance spells that add attack to your death spells. IF you get to Celestia having extra training points would not be a bad thing.

Posted: Jan 19th 2011 6:01PM AluraDeathsong said

As far as the pets well I don't like any of those choices. I have a tempest which is a rare mixed pet. You could always try for pets in the hatchery :P

Posted: Jan 19th 2011 6:15PM Beau Hindman said

@AluraDeathsong Yeh the pet hatching thingy is what I will be looking more into. I hope that I can figure it out, I've heard it's pretty intense.

Beau