Posted: Jan 18th 2011 10:11AM kjhasdfjkhk said

That would be silly to expect to go from a Jedi Consular to a Jedi Knight. That's like "respeccing" from a priest to a warrior in any other game. You can't do that, unless the game allows you to build any character you want from scratch. In a game like this where you choose your class at the start of the game, that is the class you are stuck with unless you reroll. This is standard in every MMO I've ever seen.

I'm a min-maxer and very picky about my skills, so I usually plan out all my talent points before I even make a character to risk not putting points into the wrong thing or having to respec while leveling, unless there is one spec I know is much better for leveling (a good aoe spec for example) that I will intentionally pick just to level with the intention to respec to something else when I get higher. I do like the idea of advanced classes in this game, as long as they are substantially different from one another. I especially like the fact that they have branching skill trees within the advanced classes as well.

Posted: Jan 21st 2011 5:29AM FluffyBearLina said

@kjhasdfjkhk Eh, more like a priest to a paladin imo, but your point still stands. :P

Posted: Jan 18th 2011 10:16AM Caskio said

I think it's perfect just letting the players respec only within the AC chosen. Being able to switch ACs would cause more of the FOTM syndrome. After patches. And it is obvious why we won't be able to switch classes with SWTOR being so Story driven.

Posted: Jan 18th 2011 10:22AM Thasri said

I'm just happy we get some real game info for a change, haven't herd any thing about the game it's self since the crew skills. Woohoo!

Posted: Jan 18th 2011 10:27AM Thasri said

Damnit!! Why do I still have these wow icon next to my name!! I've been trying to change it for weeks and haven't been able to for some reason! grrr...... >:/

Posted: Jan 18th 2011 10:39AM Caskio said

@Thasri

It's not working for me either.

Posted: Jan 18th 2011 10:52AM Rindon said

I the restrictions to sticking to your AC will change pretty quickly once people get in and start complaining.
People are too attuned to WoW to have a company say "no" to them.

Posted: Jan 18th 2011 11:02AM kjhasdfjkhk said

@Rindon

You can switch from a priest to a warrior in WoW with just a simple respec?

Posted: Jan 18th 2011 12:39PM Rindon said

@kjhasdfjkhk
advanced class and classes are two different things.
advanced classes would pretty much be sub-classes to add depth to the main class.

Posted: Jan 18th 2011 12:57PM RogueJedi86 said

@Rindon

Except they're still their own distinct classes with their own unique abilities and their own unique talent trees, plus unique armors and weapons. A Vanguard can tank, a Commando can't.

Posted: Jan 18th 2011 7:46PM Averice said

@RogueJedi86

A druid can respec to heal, tank, or dps though. And they're still a druid.

It just seems rather arbitrary that some classes would be able to change advanced specializations while others can't. Unfair to the ones that can't. I think they should either allow all advanced specialization switching, or none at all, just to keep the ground consistent for all their classes.

Posted: Jan 18th 2011 11:01AM Distaste said

This is a fairly good change, it at least shows Bioware is able to understand the the problems with no respecs and the trinity system. I hope they do allow AC respecs but on an extremely limited bases. Maybe 1 free and one if the class gets a major revamp. Other than that it shouldn't be allowed or if it is have it cost real money.

Posted: Jan 18th 2011 5:59PM eyeball2452 said

Yeah ... ?? ... for answering the obvious??

I always wonder about MMO that don't include basic functionality that's polished like:

1. Smooth, fluid character movement / travel systems
2. Fleshed out chat systems
3. Character customization / respec systems
4. Fleshed out and interesting story arcs

Basically, if you're building a game of the same scope of WoW and it can't do something WoW can, it's already failed imo. For example, I've seen blogs about DCUO having a clunky chat and guild system. If you can't effectively communicate with other players, why even develop an MMO?

I think SWTOR is going to run into all the same problems as other MMOs unless they get to a point where they can drop the NDA 6-8 months before launch. The closer we get to the Spring launch date with the NDA still up, the more concerns I'll have about the game.

MMO Week in Review: WoW's rebound

Posted on Nov 23rd 2014 8:00PM

EVE Evolved: What does Thera mean for EVE?

Posted on Nov 23rd 2014 6:00PM