Posted: Jan 18th 2011 7:54PM HereticalPenguin said

I love me some Total War, so this definitely looks appealing.

Posted: Jan 18th 2011 8:10PM Rindon said

I have been watching this game for a couple years now. Looks pretty amazing if they can deliver what they say.

Here's to hoping.

Posted: Jan 18th 2011 8:20PM SaintV said

About time something different in the mmo scene.

Posted: Jan 18th 2011 9:00PM Aberhams said

I really hope they can deliver on this, because it sounds like a lot of fun.

I can see some issues they will have to overcome though, like how does a new player get started on an established server with powerful old empires swinging their weight around?

anyways, for sure a game to watch.

Posted: Jan 18th 2011 9:20PM Orvi said

@Aberhams

That's always a pretty big concern in this sort of game, but I'm not sure there's an actual honest answer/fix for the problem.

As for the game itself: Man! I thought this had, for lack of a crasser evocative, died in the womb a year or two ago. I remember being interested, going back the next day to sign up for beta, and the site vanishing into thin interwebs.

Huh. Here goes nothing.

Posted: Jan 18th 2011 9:45PM Rindon said

@Orvi

I would assume they would make some sort of system to establish the power of a certain kingdom and deny them from being able to attack kingdoms that are x amount weaker than them.

Thats just my guess at least.

Posted: Jan 19th 2011 11:30AM Orvi said

@Rindon

That's generally how it's done. They give you a XX hours or XX days grace period, and then the older players in your vicinity can jump all over you. It's a rather problematic idea, to say the least.

Posted: Jan 18th 2011 9:20PM Rayne26 said

Omg mediaval total war online.If it has the same feeling as total war and even more the consider me 10 times into this

Posted: Jan 18th 2011 9:30PM Rayne26 said

I have already registered for beta.Hope to get invited.

Posted: Jan 18th 2011 9:33PM Xilithi said

Combat looks poor but the building defiantly looks good.

Posted: Jan 18th 2011 10:05PM DemonXaphan said

Would love something like this, Stronghold combined with Total War rolled into a MMO...OMG!

Posted: Jan 18th 2011 11:12PM Saker said

I've been in an number of alpha/betas of these new attempts at merging MMO-RTS's, so far none have worked. They are 2 particular genres that just don't "fit". Think about it. How do you "time" elements of RTS to work with hundreds of people in different time-zones around the world. I've seen commonly that people will work out when a enemy player is offline and organize their attacks then for instance.

This game does look nice though.... Worth looking into.

Posted: Jan 18th 2011 11:35PM Aberhams said

@Saker

yeah, the only game i've seen crack that nut is Neptune's Fury. it isn't an MMO, but its an online sci-fi real time strategy game where the object is to conquer the universe and games can last months, so it is something of a persistent world. they solved the problem by stretching out the timeline so that its entirely feasible to give you to order your fleets to jump and then go to work for 8 hours, come home just in time for the battle. it sounds odd, but it actually works really well and has given me many many sleepless nights as i set my alarm based on when my or my enemies fleets will arrive in a star system.

thats one solution, but i don't think that is the sort of thing DoF is going for since the Neptune's Pride model is something that can hold up just fine with 15 minutes a day of play time, where-as more MMOs want their customers to spend a bit more time (and thus money) on their games.

another solution could be to allow AI garrisons to defend when the player is offline. some sort of guard captain or something for the sake of lore who takes command when the king is away. he wont be as good at it as the king, but he might be able to hold off the barbarians till his master returns.

Posted: Jan 18th 2011 11:47PM cic said