Posted: Jan 18th 2011 3:36PM Miffy said

What is AoC like these days? I would love a feature where you keep going back and playing released MMOs with friends and record them.

I tried to get into it and everything was nice and all but the classes were bland and the world had too many loading screens. I can't stand an MMO that isn't seamless like WoW. Even when WoW has a loading screen like an instance, they build it into the world so it take sup actual space and feels real. AoC it was like a loading screen every 30 seconds and I got fedup of it.

Posted: Jan 18th 2011 6:26PM oyvjak said

@Miffy I agree with your post on many levels. I dislike the loading of zones as well. That being said, the expansion has bigger zones (and sometimes longer loads).
A feature where they revisited MMOs would be most welcome. A bit like Community Detective, but with gameplay involved as well. A state of the game, if you will. Population, attitudes, future prospects, major bugs/issues, balancing and so on.

Posted: Jan 18th 2011 6:25PM pcgneurotic said

I was shocked to find I'd bought it on Steam a while back and forgotten about that, since I didn't sub beyond the free month. I'd be frightened to dl it again now, it must be around a 20 Gb install.

Posted: Jan 18th 2011 6:44PM winterborn said

I have been playing AoC since Rise of the God Slayer came out.
I do not PVP in MMO's so I dont care about that crap but it is still the best looking most detailed fantasy mmo out. The world is stunning on top settings and this is the first mmo that I find my self wondering around and finding all sorts of cool things just to look at.

I think if this had released as a PVE only mmo and they spent their time and effort on content and gear it would be one hell of a mmo.

Tons of content idea's from the IP.

Posted: Jan 18th 2011 10:01PM Bezza said

I have been playing AoC off and on since release. The game was always stunning looking and the PvE experience I found both interesting and gritty enough to keep me playing long term. The classes are both similar and yet some of them are different enough to require players to evolve which isn’t a bad thing IMO.

Over the past few years the game has gone from a shakey release to a strong title, it is still one of the few MMO’s that rewards gamers who have a high end PC with stunning visuals. Those of us who have played on the test server know that the game will be looking even better very soon when the revamped game engine goes live.

Rise of the god-slayer expansion has added loads of new content and made a good mmo even better. The new zones are breathtakingly beautiful and add a even greater level of depth and immersion to the PvE experience. AoC may no be everyone’s cup of tea, yes there are loading screens, yes is isn’t a PvP focused game and frankly if this is such a big turn off that you can’t look beyond that to the games obvious strengths then AoC probably isn’t for you.

But if you like some gore, boobs and Robert E Howards gritty low fantasy genre then AoC might very well be the fantasy mmo for you. Just be prepared for no elves, no flying mounts and no mercy from your enemies! Muhahaha.

By Crom! I look forward to logging in tonight to check out the update and how my Guardian has fared,

Posted: Jan 19th 2011 11:37AM Poordevil said

@Bezza Ah yes, excellent synopsis of what AoC is and where it stands today.

My favorite part of the game is the ride from 1-80. I love being in Hyboria hacking and slashing my way through a game that is so faithful to Howard's Conan stories. It is the perfect blend of fantasy and gritty realism.

I played my Guardian a little last night and didn't notice much change. I would be hard pressed to tell ye if he was buffed or nerffed.

Posted: Jan 19th 2011 11:33AM Justpotatoes said

I love AoC. I love the IP, the music, all the little gritty details and the overall feel of the game. As a woman, I can't say the boobs are a big draw for me, but hey... the guys are scantily clad too! ;) I've been back now since Rise of Godslayer, and thoroughly enjoying myself. My highest level characters are only in the 50s (and I still have a free 50 to roll, but I'm waiting on that). I've got a whole bunch of offline levels to spend that I haven't even bothered with yet.

I understand how the other commenter feels about the loading screens. They usually drive me nuts too, but they're really only annoying in Tortage, where you're zoning constantly. After that, you hardly see them at all because the zones are so large.

Swordsman launches today