Posted: Jan 18th 2011 7:42AM robertallen said

As a life long SOE fan, playing EQ and EQ2 and anything SOE has touched, it has been incredibly disheartening to see how much the fan base of both these games seem to have a lot more passion than the developers.

They have never explained to use why they won't take a gamble and spend on marketing their products. Sure they have been doing that with DCUO, but EQ2 is their best game, in my opinion.

I won't stray from the EverQuest franchise...I anxiously await the new expansion and EQNext, but I would love to see them get into some hardcore advertising on TV with EQNext when it get released in a few years.

Posted: Jan 18th 2011 8:20AM Balmore said

Thing is EQ2 is no longer a main project. It's a mini support project.

It's good for experiments like the F2P, and keep some money trickling in to support other projects.

Luckily for me, I'm going to completely switch to Rift.

Posted: Jan 18th 2011 4:22PM robertallen said

@Balmore I'm starting to think you're right. Sad. It's one of the best MMORPG's ever made.

Posted: Jan 19th 2011 4:02AM vantif said

I think what a lot of people do not understand is that the EQ2X servers are killing the Live servers. With so many people dropping the Live servers to F2P servers and with SOE's rule that you will not be able to transfer from a F2P to a Live, that effectively means hardly any new blood will be seen on the live servers. We already see this happening as the populations decrease, raid guilds dying off in record numbers and the raid guilds that are left scrambling to find recruits to fill their ranks

The second problem is that those that have decided to play on the F2P server do not get the same amount of content and options that you do on live (obviously, hence the F2P), however, when someone reaches their cap on F2P in order to unlock additional content and options they will effectively be paying more to do so than a standard subscription on the live servers. Just another SOE money making gimic along with SC to kill the game.

While it can be argued that EQ2 is prospering well or dying off depending on your server point of view. One only has to take a look at SOE's action with Station Cash to give you an idea where this game is headed. Seriously, 10-20 bucks for appearance armor; armor that should already have been in game with the release of an expansion. They came out with more SC apperance armor since SF was released than came with the SF expansion.

While this game is definitely fun, imho and would love to see velious. SOE is definitely killing this game, which is why I will not be purchasing the expansion and jumping ship to Rift.

Posted: Jan 20th 2011 5:07PM Azzura said

I did like EQ2 when I played it - even came back 2 or 3 times hoping it would get busier. But running around and seeing 2 people in Freeport is just sad. They promote Station Cash way more than the game. Then when they do get a bunch of people on, like the day an expansion is released...it gets so darn laggy with 70 people in a zone. Then I pop onto WoW and hang out in SW (or Dalaran back in the day) and see close to 100 people running about all jammed together and no lag.

I even joined the guide program hoping to get more action, but that was disappointing as there was no one around to interact with. I havent been on since the free to play thing happened but its just sad to see the game so empty.

I think they need to server merge to get the population back up.

Posted: Feb 18th 2011 7:53AM grimboj said

RE: FTP.

I wish people would stop spreading misleading information about the F2P servers. You know what you miss out on if you pay the same monthly fee and roll a character on the F2P server? NOTHING. Same expansions you've already paid for, all features enabled. I don't know what F2P endgame is like but I'm in the middle of rolling a new char and all I had to pay was 9.5 GBP / month to play and the game is identical.

WoW Archivist: Epics