Posted: Jan 15th 2011 7:53PM Drunken Irish Sniper said

FFXI really is in a league of it's own, no other MMO can match the content of the expansions, or even compare to it's PVE, it was truly Squares last great Final Fantasy.

Too bad most of the servers are empty or I'd go back and play again.

Posted: Jan 15th 2011 8:18PM KappoRDM said

The Abyssea add-ons changed the game like no other expansion. Unfortunately for a casual, social player like myself, the new focus on "endgame" was not to my liking . Last time I subbed up, I logged in, broke my level 75 limit, and shot from 75-80 in the blink of an eye. I was left thinking, "Now what?". After another week or so of half hearted playing I cancelled my sub again. XI was my first and favorite MMO. It's just not what it use to be for me sadly, but I am glad to see it still has a strong following; especially after the FFXIV fiasco. Long live Vana'diel, if only in my fond memories.

Posted: Jan 15th 2011 8:54PM Irem said

ToAU is the expansion I'm fondest of, as much as I liked CoP. It introduced my favorite class (Puppetmaster--I was one of the few masochists on my server willing to get it to 75, gear it out, and play it as my primary job), my favorite character (Aphmau), and I think it had the most engaging story. CoP was grander in scale, and it was good, but ToAU had better writing, and the characters were much more grounded and easier to relate to. "Raillefal" and his scenes with Gessho and Naja had me grinning like an idiot. The "Lord of Illegibility"...he's a big, lovable dork.

I miss FFXI.

Posted: Jan 15th 2011 9:29PM Nenene said

@Irem
I was sad that the default method of getting Trion to come home to San d'Oria was to tell him that they were throwing Curilla in prison.

My poor General Curilla.

Posted: Jan 16th 2011 9:16AM Irem said

@Nenene
I was sad that Trion's default method of giving his handlers the slip is basically to put a rarab in his chair and hope nobody notices.

And hey, the Curilla thing worked, right? She's the brains between the two of them, though, so he should probably have just taken her with him...

Posted: Jan 15th 2011 10:05PM myr said

You're forgetting the biggest and most important part of toau, Eliot... lolibri merit parties!

Yes, as far as easily accessible pure content is concerned, ToaU was by far the best expansion. CoP wasn't made accessible until the BC caps were removed, and although you could easily exp in wotg and abyssea with no issues, to get the full plate of content those offer you have to be among the elite. In ToaU anyone could join a pickup assault or nyzul group and expect to get something out of it with relatively little time invested.

Now as far as actual quality, challenge, and fun are concerned.. I've still gotta go with CoP. Some of my best memories of ffxi are from dying over and over again in promyvions or to BC fights, exping on Dhalmels/riding the manaclipper in Bibiki, and taking on the wyrm HNMs far before they were as easy as they are now.

Posted: Jan 17th 2011 12:35AM mmark said

@myr

Yes, the bird parties that locked BLM out of the game. No fun.

Posted: Jan 17th 2011 2:32AM myr said

@mmark

Hey, blm was slower to level, but you could still pull 8-10k/hr in a flan party in mt.z. Better than CoP-era options anyway, just not nearly as good as 25k/hr on birds.

And nothing, nothing was more powerful in toau era than an army of blms time nuking (insert megaboss here)

Posted: Jan 16th 2011 12:41AM Locus said

I'm not personally fond of the PvE in the sense that I don't think it should take a level 75 character 2 minutes to kill a rabbit - combat was too slow!

That being said? FF11 has given me the most of a sense of accomplishment compared to any other MMO I've ever played. The PvE content could stand out in that one regard because it involved so much struggling against pernicious RNG and badly-balanced combat decisions, like the idea that an enemy should get 10 tp if it got hit, but a player should only get 1-2. And let's not start on pre-sushi accuracy rates. The experience was perhaps more vibrant because of this, but I really wouldn't want to do it again.

Still, besieged was extremely novel and the start of things that led to Campaign. Aht Urgan was a favourite expansion of mine too - Nearly every monster on the new continent was slightly different, even if they were familiar. Maps were dangerous and thrilling to navigate - I really miss Sneak and Invis exploration in FF14 - and every area had its own charisma, which 14 definitely needs to address.

The problem with 11's plot is that it's usually rehashed to some extent - it requires your character to be a fall guy to which massive amounts of horrible things happen, throws useless NPCs at you (Hello Lion) - well, WotG tried to alleviate this in the best tradition of Prishe; and at the end of it, it throws some nubile spunky female with sass at you (who you'll probably never see again) as compensation: e.g. Prishe, Lion, Aphmau and Lilisette.

Posted: Jan 16th 2011 1:21PM Cendres said

I hated CoP with a burning passion. Being locked out of zones until you complete a certain dungeon is a terrible idea. Ath Urghan was so much more FUN, it breathed life back into the game and people became social again.
The thing with high level content and things like CoP is that you need to be really organised, in a game like FFXI where everything takes hours to do you need to switch guilds to achieve that. Many social linkshells would die out, with Treasures I saw people return to social LS's to my relief at the time.

Posted: Jan 17th 2011 10:18AM Chiren said

Treasures of Aht Urhgan is definitely the best expansion produced for FFXI, and in my humble opinion, one of the best for any MMO period.

As with most things though - its a shame that a lot of it really couldn't be enjoyed unless you were end-game level. This is truth - I bought the expansion when it came out, but didn't actually touch the missions in any serious sense until 3 years later. Why? because I wasn't leveled at the time and ended up taking a break, not knowing what better was out there. Maybe if they had level sync and FOV back then it would've been a different story - those were what the game needed, they just came 8 years too late.

But don't sell Wings of the Goddess short. It was definitely an incomplete expansion at release, but now that they've had *cough* TWO YEARS to finish up the missions, the missions are pretty darn awesome. I've been doing the Windurst side, and each one is like OMG.

The Stream Team: Adios, Elite: Dangerous