Posted: Jan 14th 2011 3:56PM Beltyra said

HANDS DOWN the character transfer on WoW.

Not cause individually its ONLY 25 bucks. But because no one ever only needs to transfer just ONE character when they do.

I've had to migrate anywhere from 3-7 characters each of the 3 times I've changed servers. Why did I change servers? Cause I wanted to play WoW with real life friends, but you sure has hell cant do that when there are 400 servers!

WTB a system where I pay 25 bucks ONCE and for 24 hours I can transfer as many characters as I want, once each. Because asking a 6 year vet to pay 300 bucks to play with his friends is a little much, especially when all blizzard does is let its automatic system run.

Posted: Jan 16th 2011 11:42AM jonnyfrag said

@Beltyra
I hear you guys. Until very recently SOE charged SWG players $50 a pop for the same service. And this after giving some folks limited choices to move around for free (while promising not to close any servers) only to close those servers so anyone returning to the game now has to pay a transfer fee up front to even play those characters that are now server-less.
In their defense they lowered the cost to $25 a toon now and if someone comes back to the game that was on a now closed server sometimes you can talk them into moving you for free, but the first thing they tell you is pay up. If you complain loudly enough they will move you for free but they try to see if you'll just pay first.
But server populations are seriously jacked up since that 'free transfer' mess and SOE just says pay up to get fixed (meanwhile transferring others for free in quiet) and of course they refuse to comment on ANY future plans to help the situation of one overloaded server and many ghost town servers.

Posted: Jan 14th 2011 4:38PM OghmaEh said

WoW Sparklepony. Those things are ugly too.

And the EU getting screwed on foreign exchange. Talk about nickel and dime.

Posted: Jan 14th 2011 4:57PM cyanpill said

Aha, no-one has mentioned the ridiculous items in the DDO store- +1 weapons. You get better items just doing the tutorial, and you can buy +1 items from merchants. Why in the world would you spend $1 a piece buying stuff that's so common?

Maybe not as bad as the other posts, but it stands out because the ddo store is mostly good :)

Posted: Jan 14th 2011 5:11PM Skyydragonn said

the most rediculous micro-transaction I've seen offered comes form Blackbox's titel need for speed: world
the porsche 911 "snowflake" edition for 6000 'BOOST'( the currency you get for real cash.) which at its current pricing rate equated to approximately $17.00 USD for a single car. Mind you the car isn't even top of the line the BMW M3 is still the best top tier car to get.

Posted: Jan 14th 2011 5:32PM Shazzie said

Mounts and suits of appearance-only items for $15-$25. 'Micro transactions' in my mind are a helluva lot smaller than that, especially for items only one character can use. Paying for character transfers, or extra character slots... that I'm ok with paying for, but paying (what is to me, excessive) prices for mostly 'useless' items kinda pisses me off, so I just don't do it.

I have $40 or so in Station Cash atm that I really don't know what I'll do with, since I find their prices on any fluff items that I might actually WANT to purchase to be too extreme. I've happily purchased items in DDO and LotRO and I have zero problem buying CoH's booster packs, but EQ2's Marketplace turns me off, bigtime.

Posted: Jan 14th 2011 6:38PM Arcaria said

The thing that pisses me off the most about all of these market transactions is that the companies (SOE and EQ2) have made the appearance gear like cloaks and armor look better than even the highest end raid gear.

Every new cloak that looks good goes in the store, every new armor set (even racial armor) goes in the store. Just killed a T4 raid boss? Here's your generic looking item. Don't worry, we'll sell you one that looks better for only $15.

Posted: Jan 16th 2011 11:53AM jonnyfrag said

@Arcaria
SWG does this too, but it's even a lottery system. The niftiest newest gear (opinions vary) is only available as loot cards from the card game. Many things that players asked about for years and were told 'we couldn't code that..it'd be too hard' have now shown up as loot cards in the Trading Card Game. For 2.99 a pack at a chance to get a loot item, with loot card drop rates figured at about 1/20 of getting any loot card (and it's a tiered system..some loot cards are rarer than others), that's some high end stakes. Much of it is structures, really cool ones too, even though there is a structures trader in the game. That means the newest content is taken from people whose job it is in game to make these things.
Lucasarts won't let them do anything with a 'cash store' with the game from what we've been able to piece together over the years, but there are many that would love to be able to just buy the loot cards but can't unless you use a 3rd party (i.e. ripoff) site to do so. To the tune of some of the rarest loot cards being in the hundreds of dollars range...and sadly, they do sell.
Before some SOE fanboi jumps in here, I will point out that every account (not per toon) get's 5 free packs each month, but the kicker here is that those 5 packs contain NO TRADE trading cards or loot cards.

Posted: Jan 14th 2011 7:29PM (Unverified) said

This game I play has such a stupid system. It's freaking crazy - you have to give them $15 a month to keep playing!

I'm kidding, of course. In all seriousness, I don't play any games that have particularly silly microtransactions. I've heard of some fairly ridiculous ones, though. Especially those "rented items" ones, where you buy some item from the cash shop then only get it for a month. That's just stupid.

Posted: Jan 15th 2011 1:51AM Danieros said

TL;DR & Disclaimer: Any microtransaction. This is my opinion, so sorry if you feel it is negatively radical in anyway, but it goes along to my view of what a game is, especially a RPG one.

Long reasoning:

I'll take a fixed fee to fund development team, but seeing this trend of cash shops disgust me. You're using your credit card to summon items in a RPG. To me that destroys the RPG immersion, what roleplay is there with a credit card changing anything of your in-game character?

Turbine did an incredibly good job at managing to shove a cash shop down their old subscriber base and getting a new generation of subscribers people happy to coexist with a fully functional cash shop. It's so disgusting.

I have nothing against Entropia Universe since it is based on an entirely difference model, I'd even dare say it's a game ahead of our time, as I do believe games like that may become the norm someday as the gap between reality effecting gaming draws closer and closer. At least you can potentially earn money or get your money back at any time.

Microtransactions give too much power to a developer, with time being the only thing in the equation I at least know I should be having fun by paying that flat standard fee. Maybe it's because I have a more competitive view of things, as my analogy of microtransactions is similar to being able to pay to have a rule-bending on a game towards you, by no effort on your part.

Posted: Jan 15th 2011 4:45AM hami83 said

Actually I think the silliest microtransaction is on Playstation Home.

Leaving the fact their personal spaces are overpriced to begin with, they sell "premium" items like a Golden Suit for male or females for I think $16.

A Digital suit that's cold and spouts fake cast is almost 20 bucks. THAT is ridiculous. Sure you don't NEED it, but it's still ridiculous in my eyes.

Posted: Jan 15th 2011 7:04AM oyvjak said

The 60€ mount in Warhammer Online seems a bit overpriced. Then again, it's the EA Store, so what else could you expect?

Posted: Jan 15th 2011 8:18AM VeeDeeVee said

Anything in the Team Fortress 2 shop. $6.99 for an old weapon? What the hell are they playing at. You can buy full games for that on Steam!

Posted: Jan 15th 2011 8:23AM (Unverified) said

the FIRST Launch of the Allods Online store
THAT was a total trainwreck and showed just how little if any the owners of the shop knew how to run a cash shop

Posted: Jan 16th 2011 11:55AM jonnyfrag said

a tl;dr version of a reply further back in the thread:
The SWG TCG loot card lottery. 2.99 a pack to try and get the coolest new stuff made for the game. The 5 free packs a month contain NO TRADE trading cards and loot cards (if you are lucky)
SWG players would love to have just a cash store to get the same kinds of cool stuff without playing a lottery system to get them.

Posted: Jan 16th 2011 8:21PM Zenn said

First iteration of Allods cash shop....that is all

Posted: Jan 16th 2011 11:28PM mattwo said

two words: digimon battle.

WeMade made the cash shop way too pricey and changed the event starter digimon into limited time cash shop items >.>

Posted: Jan 17th 2011 4:38AM bovas said

APB's, which brought the game down.
Monthly fee avoidable easily by selling money for rtw points

Posted: Jan 17th 2011 7:30AM Joystiq Login Bugs SUCK said

Nothing beats paying US$450 per month for 256x256 metres of laggy penis filled virtual real estate.

I wonder if people can guess which game I am talking about that jumped the shark when Jack Linden screwed every one of these big payers out of the game by trying to bump that price up even higher.

Posted: Jan 17th 2011 8:35PM Superfan said

Cryptic are the biggest parasites out there and their microtransactions on top of monthly fee prove this. A total scam.

No, not a single item but a single company. Craptic, thy name is mud!