Posted: Jan 14th 2011 10:12AM jonnyfrag said

Not really a MT , but a ridiculously priced service. SWG.
After SOE did a round of Free Character Transfers that were un-managed (well, poorly managed anyway) and ended up with about 40% (or more) of the entire playerbase on one laggy server, they spent the next year charging $50 per character to transfer to another server since all other servers really took a nose dive after the free move debacle, despite literally hundreds of pleas of people stuck on now dead servers after SOE's mismanagement.

I should point out that their answer to fixing the population problems was to lower the price to $25 (to match the rest of their games) but it's proving to be way too little way too late.

Also might want to point out that through the entire 'Free Transfer Phase' that lasted for several months, nearly a year in fact, they said several times they were not going to be closing any servers. As soon as the thing was over, they closed the smallest servers. Now anyone returning the to game either has to pay the transfer fee to play characters that are 'server-less' or else get real lucky and get a CS rep that ends up moving them for free , eventually...like weeks sometimes.

That's SOE for ya!

Posted: Jan 14th 2011 12:34PM Interitus said

@jonnyfrag

Free round? it lasted over a year. You're simply a SOE troll after your nonsense about missing rewards

Posted: Jan 16th 2011 11:31AM jonnyfrag said

@Interitus
And you apparently exist to always be on my jock about being on SOE.
I was initially upset that my 'pre-order' at Target (that I specifically picked because of it's exclusive bonuses) got delayed until March. That's 2 months past launch (over 2 actually March 17th) Then I found out that it wasn't only me, it was everyone that ordered from Target. Then I found out that people that did get their games did not get the Batman exo despite HUGE banner ads all over and being mentioned in several dev interviews and such so they got added. Now I even throw in the people upset that Wonder Woman's bracelets aren't even visible items like one would expect.
The bottom line is that many many people had a terrible pre-order experience with this game and SOE just hides their heads in the sand about any of it. It's poor customer service at best and outright false advertising at worst.
Sorry you can't see that. There are many who can. You sticking to me like glue and trying to shout me down at every opportunity makes me think you are a paid SOE employee. Seriously. Don't like what I have to say? Disagree or ignore, but you cannot deny the facts.

Posted: Jan 16th 2011 11:35AM jonnyfrag said

@Interitus
and I did point out that it was 'nearly a year' I know it was a long time, but if I had said it was a year long, someone like you....no probably just you, would have come in and said 'It was only 11 months and 2 days so you are WRONG!"
You can't say anything else about the rest of it can you? No, because what I said was exactly as it happened. Sorry that SOE is a piece of shit when it comes to customer service. Sorry that you work for them obviously.

Posted: Jan 14th 2011 10:12AM Ozmodan said

Perfect World had a magical stone for sale for $75. It was a one time use to enhance your weapon. When it comes to soaking the player base, I have found none better than Perfect World producers.

Posted: Jan 14th 2011 10:16AM Greyhame said

That I've experience? LOTRO needing to pay to play a class. It sounds like an interesting class, but I'm not going to fork over money for something like that.

Posted: Jan 14th 2011 10:57AM Jeromai said

The one that had the biggest impact on me would have been my first encounter with microtransactions a decade ago. Medievia MUD called them "donation" items at the time. I tried the game free, kind of liked it, started making friends and asking folks advice on gear to aim for, and this guy just said matter-of-factly in between "go here, kill this mob for A" and "do a bunch of this to get B" - oh, and pick up two donation amulets for your two neckwear slots. Pure afterthought, it was understood that these were the best.

... Each amulet was $50.

I blinked. Pay $100 USD to play a MUD? In a time when you couldn't turn around without banging into a free MUD? Was he serious? Yes, he was. That night, I said goodbye to my character and logged off forever.

I still hate any microtransactions that aren't really "micro." That'll mean $20 and up for just about anything except solid content expansions. So $25 sparkle ponies, pretty much everything about EQ2 Extended, obnoxiously priced character transfers, all ridiculous.

I get full and complete GAMES for $20 and up, I don't get unlocks or a teensy art model for a game at that price. It's a relative worth measurement for me since my tastes are so broad. I can't see sinking tens of dollars into small additions for one game, if the same $20 buys me 8-10 hours worth of content for another.

If you want me to spend $20, then give me twenty appealing things for one buck each. I can choose to buy 'em all at once and wallow in stuff, or trickle them slowly and treasure them. Micro-transactions. Micro.

Posted: Jan 14th 2011 11:06AM Jeromai said

@Jeromai
Oh, and I just remembered. The saddest part of that story was that he said "go get 2 amulets for $50" and I was tempted. $25 each, hmm, ouch, costly, but maybe it would be worth it to play the game. Then he clarified and said, oh no, it's $50 EACH.

That crossed a line.

Posted: Jan 14th 2011 11:13AM Teki said

Micro transaction!? I would say anything over 5$'ish not really a micro transaction. There's nothing really micro about it.

Posted: Jan 14th 2011 11:46AM JanChel said

The costume parts for sale for Champions Online. Still hating it. Something so basic should be part of the subscription. It has caused a divide between me and this game. Whenever I want to play CO again, I just think of those costume parts and it stops me.

I was very tempted to buy the sparkly pony in WoW once I realized it had a similar model to Invincible, the Lich King's mount. But ultimately I didn't get it.

Posted: Jan 14th 2011 12:35PM Interitus said

LOTRO. $10 for a name change.

Posted: Jan 14th 2011 2:08PM Teki said

@Interitus

I think they same service in wow is like 19$

Posted: Jan 14th 2011 1:13PM Rindon said

Actually, in my opinion of course, WoW is the worst of them all. They make tens if not hundreds of millions a month from that behemoth and they have the balls to put a cash shop in.
If people want to point a finger at all the RMT being put into your subscription games, or a reason a lot of games are opting to go F2P there is your answer. They have to make up for the lack of revenue some way.
There was an article not too long ago about how WoW has sucked the air out of the subscription market. No one can really compete with it and most people won't leave a game they have put years in and still enjoy somewhat. As well as with the economy being the way it is a lot of people are not going to be putting up the $$ for a second game subscription with the chance of it being only mediocre at best (going from the 2010 mmo releases that were just "OK" to pretty freaking bad).

Posted: Jan 17th 2011 11:26AM Rimeshade said

@Rindon

To be fair, none of the RMT's in wow are necesscary items or services, you can experience everything ingame without needing a sparkle pony or a panda-monk.

Also to blame WoW's success for the increase in MT models is a little odd, Blizzard are a business, they exist to make money, WoW's success makes them money, it's the nature of the beast, you can't blame them for their success unless this is tall-poppy-syndrome talking.

If the subscription model is robust enough then some sub game or collection of sub games (Rift, SWTOR et al) will be able to occupy a comfortable market position along with WoW. If not then the model will die and be replaced by another, probablt Freemium although I'd prefer the GW model.

Posted: Jan 14th 2011 1:16PM Caerus said

Content for sale on launch day. I'm OK with complete fluff being there, and reasonably priced items to alleviate grind (Like, 2 dollars per hour it takes to grind the item/ability/what have you - if it's more than that then the grind is clearly too much, or it's only a token effort to make the "everything is available in-game" statement not a total lie). But come on, the game JUST launched and we JUST paid you - I can accept priced DLC/MTs as a means to sustain production but that means you can't claim it's necessary after the largest cash infusion your game will (probably) ever see.

Console games are riddled with this and I blame every idiot who pays 10 dollars for a Halo map for PC game companies starting to realize you can treat your customers like walking cash machines and they'll come back for more.

Posted: Jan 14th 2011 1:21PM octoberasian said

Anything from Nexon.

Almost everything you buy for any game-- Vindictus, Dungeon Fighter, Mabinogi-- will last 30 days, no more. You may also end up paying the most monthly fees for a subscription-less game. They may as well go month-to-month subscription and include all those items from their item shops because it's kind of ridiculous to keep paying for extra storage or extra customizations for your character each month. It'd be nice to just pay for it once and not worry about it expiring.

Posted: Jan 14th 2011 1:58PM Angn said

The most ridiculous I've ever seen to date is Vindictus' underwear... for rental.

Posted: Jan 14th 2011 2:01PM Thasri said

I have to say to carry more than 2 gold in Lotro. I think your limited to only carry 2 gold max at any given time I believe? Can't remember for sure but yea.....that really sucks.

Posted: Jan 14th 2011 2:12PM blakerefuge said

I'm in the Champions Online F2P beta, and even the new F2P C Store still has less stuff than STO's does. I don't understand why Cryptic went so wild with STO.

Posted: Jan 14th 2011 2:35PM wondersmith said

SERVER CHANGES! Insanely high charges for these date back to long before the term "microtransaction" came into vogue, and they're still with us, in subscription games as well as F2P.

A few games like EVE, Guild Wars, and Free Realms abolished these charges, allowing us to move our characters at will and play with anyone else who had an account. I assumed all the other MMO companies would quickly follow their lead, but noooooooo! WoW, LotRO and their ilk still insist on charging us players for their failure to consolidate their playerbases. What is this, the 1990s???

Leaderboard: Which dead MMO is your favorite?

Posted on Jul 30th 2014 12:00PM

The Daily Grind: Do you prize MMO stability?

Posted on Jul 30th 2014 8:00AM