Posted: Jan 15th 2011 9:34AM TheGreatMachine said

I love the game, it is very rich for DC fans, it's hard for me to see a lack of depth here when the game offers more of a sense DC continuity than many of their currency comic releases. It's fun being around a lot of enthusiastic DC readers as well, adds a lot more to the community.

PIty about the greedy hacks running the game, I wont hold that against the game itself though.

Posted: Jan 15th 2011 9:36AM TheGreatMachine said

@TheGreatMachine current, not currency. Actually the whole comment was a bit of a mess.

Posted: Jan 15th 2011 10:06AM wagonfactor said

most of these comments are just flatout ridiculous. i realize everyone is entitled to their opinion but how can you have such a biased opinion on something you know little about. saying that dcuo is just like coh or co lets people know you havent even tried the game. the ONLY thing this game has in common with those games is the super hero aspect. aside from that, its 100% different. if you dont like the clicking style of the combat, thats fine, but its not really a button masher. a button masher would be like marvel vs capcom. i dont really see any mmorpg as a button masher. alot of these comments would be like me watching the first 10 seconds of a movie and saying it was the first movie i had ever seen. as much as i appreciate massively.com, them allowing clueless preteens to post comments does more harm to the mmorpg community than anything. anyone looking to pick up the game would read these comments and think dcuo is a terrible game when MOST of these people have either not played it or only played a small sliver of it. unfortunately theres no good solution for this and it is what it is nowadays. i miss the old days... before wow, when the mmorpg community consisted of mostly adults and majority of the people werent assholes.

Posted: Jan 15th 2011 10:40AM KvanCetre said

@wagonfactor
Did you try playing a dual-wield yet?
9xLeft Click, then Right.
With a controller, thats very mashy and...ridiculous.

Posted: Jan 15th 2011 10:51AM wagonfactor said

@KvanCetre ok, point accepted. ive only played one character so far. im nature/1handed which doesnt appear to be too much of a button masher. i hit lvl18 this morning and the "worst" (in that sense) combo i have so far is left click x3 then hold left click. i assumed most of the weapon types had similar combos. left click x9 does seem a little ridiculous. looking through my tree, i dont have anything even close to x9 combo. i guess my main gripe is the amount of complaining/whining that comes from the community with ANY game. i love mmorpgs and have been playing them for 10+ years. it just seems the community gets worse with every new game. rarely does anyone have anything positive to say about any game. the only conclusion i can come to is all the nongamers that think theyre gamers because the play wow. there are people that play wow that have never played another game in their life. its like they feel entitled to complain about EVERYTHING. what ever happened to "if you cant say something nice, dont say anything at all". i understand when something is wrong we should let the devs know, but that should be reserved for the dev discussion sections on the games forums IMO

Posted: Jan 15th 2011 11:18AM Altruist said

@wagonfactor

so your critique was that people are complaining without having played the game, and you're only level 18?

i beta'd the game for 5 months, had some complaints, but never hated it. i want this to be a great game, it just isn't yet.

Posted: Jan 15th 2011 12:52PM ManaByte said

@Altruist He's level 18 in a game with a level 30 level cap.

Posted: Jan 15th 2011 5:43PM starka1 said

So glad I did not pre-order considering some problems people are having. Not to mention I'm glad I did not fall for the 'perks' offered versus what appears to be mixed reactions to content and gameplay.

CoH is still plenty for me after 5+ years though currently unsubscribed, have a lifetime sub to CO(ugh, just can't bring myself to login yet) and have returned to WoW, a game I only tried for a couple months about 2 years back and am having a lot of fun.

I can wait for more reviews and content before giving this game a try. Still have high hopes for it but that is months, possibly years away until the 'real beta' is over and SOE has had a chance to iron out bugs and implement more features based on player feedback. If the game is around $10-15 in a few months time, I may give it a peek though.

Posted: Jan 16th 2011 6:55AM Deryk said

I got my pre-order item just fine as did my friends (so far 8 of us playing and all loving it!). Sorry to hear you chaps overseas getting charged extra for currency conversions etc. Hopefully that can be rectified!

But, for those that just post hate...how can anyone judge a game unless they've taken the time to play it thoroughly? I mean we're talking serious hours and hours and hours of gameplay. (Read this as like in EQ back in the day and typing /play and found that you have spent 3 months of your life in front of the PC! That is NOWHERE near possible yet for DCUO including BETA). That would be time to give a serious review of any game.

Have you all explored every inch of Metropolis and Gotham? Have you done all of the missions in the game? Have you done all of the Alerts? Are you part of a League (guild)? Did you achieve level 30 on your main? Have you leveled up some alts so you can see the other powers and weapons available? Done all of the Wanted Posters? Done every single race course in the game? Done all of Booster Gold's tours? Collected every single "Glowy" (? markers found throughout the cities) Gathered all of the awesome suits and costume pieces? You've stopped by every Information marker and collected them all? You've collected every single one in under a week? Right....and I have some property I'd like to sell you in Siberia!

If you can honestly answer yes to EVERY single thing above, and you still can't find much to do in the game, then you might have a point. But I seriously SERIOUSLY doubt anyone has done all of that. If you have and are still not happy, you need to get a life away from the PC and / or PS3! Either that or have those cyborg implants removed! : )

This is meant to be a light take on things and I'm just trying to throw out some food for thought, and I mean some serious thought. This previous statement makes null and void any nerd-rage or trollish replies (if any) to follow. Hopefully anyone can see this in this light as being a food for thought post.

Peace out.

Posted: Jan 16th 2011 12:16PM Valdamar said

It will be interesting to see how much content SOE can deliver monthly for this title, and how long they bother to keep it up, because very few development studios have proven themselves able to deliver enough content to keep most of the playerbase happy - and that will be compounded in DCUO because the level curve is so short and the launch game is so lacking in content.

SOE do have a chance - I was always impressed by how much content they delivered in the first 9 months or so of EQ2 (though I understand it petered out when they stopped doing adventure packs and started doing more system overhauls in the regular patches rather than added content) and they've always been able to churn out paid expansions for their MMOs faster than any other publisher/developer.

But if they do the impossible and manage to deliver, then as time goes on will SOE really be able to resist not charging extra for the bulk of the added content? We all know their track record.

After playing DCUO in beta I'm not that interested to play it in release, but I am interested to see if SOE can keep their promises, both because it could set the bar for the industry in future, it could indicate whether SOE are managing to reform their shoddy practices of the past, and because it will set a precedent that The Agency, Planetside Next and EverQuest Next may follow - and I might be interested in playing them (once I know more about them).

Posted: Jan 19th 2011 4:56PM Avernus said

I like the combat, it is a bit repetitive, but it is reactive and fast-paced. I feel the character power and appearance customization is poor and that matters more in a superhero game imo. Also, I agree it lacks content, but maybe just maybe they will deliver on content updates in a timely manner.

My real issue is - why would I play this over CoH or CO? It only offers the DC characters that frankly I was bored of at age 10.