Posted: Jan 14th 2011 7:11PM Miffy said

• 1 heart
Am I the only one that finds this game boring?

The combat is so clunky with the worst animations, the enemies don't animted properly. Everything is too simple and so easy that there is no fun in the game, if you don't stand to lose anything then where is the risk/reward? Every game has this to make it fun but casual noob games these days. Everything is zoned and isntanced so it doesn't feel like a world or and MMO. The starter tutorials are becoming really boring in MMOs these days, they're far too easy and every time you make a character you have to run them. The character creation sucks compared to other Super Hero MMOs. The content is all the same, kill 10, collect 5, kill boss.

Yawnn...

Posted: Jan 14th 2011 7:22PM aurickle said

@Miffy
No, I was bored as well. It felt like a flashback to the original CoH, but with even more limited combat. The action take on combat doesn't make up for the shallowness.

Let's face it; to make the game "equally playable" for both PC and console, they needed to design it from the beginning with the console in mind. Essentially, they had to build it for console and port it to PC. But that means that everything had to be limited to what a controller can comfortably do.

Champions Online feels like more of a step forward than DCUO does, and I got bored with that game quickly, too.

Posted: Jan 14th 2011 7:27PM Aberhams said

@Miffy

i'm with you. pretty disappointed with this game, combat is fun, but the missions are soooo grindy. maybe its because i just came off of WoW: Cataclysm's new hotness, but the DCU:O grind is really boring. at least for the first 10 levels or so, maybe it picks up later.

The character creation is a huge weak point. I'm totaly ok with the lack of costume options, I even think its a good idea. but if Sony won't let us custumize our costumes much, then how about they let use customize our character! 3 stock body types per gender with no sliders? ARE YOU SERIOUS?! that needs a fix post haste.

Posted: Jan 14th 2011 7:59PM CCon99 said

@Miffy

You're definitely not the only one. I found the game decent at first, but it really grows old really fast. I would love to see their launch numbers and then the numbers from the day after the 30 free days.

The combat is extremely stale, you're still staring at timers on powers, but instead you have to keep spamming the same 2 buttons into a combo, instead of hitting multiple numbers for a power rotation in other MMO's. The only thing I can say they have better than CoH is their physics engine, they did a fantastic job on the physics. They also have a better city map setup with the 2 massive city's, instead of zones. But besides that, I still think CoH is the better game as crazy as that sounds.

Posted: Jan 14th 2011 9:11PM MrGutts said

@Miffy

Nope you are not. Lack of in game powers is a big one for me and also its just a console game with a little bit of PC in mind.

Then you have SOE's wonderful customer service already in action, or lack of. Taking servers down for hours at a time with no explanation, no posts on it, just complete silence.

Posted: Jan 14th 2011 10:17PM DancingCow said

@Miffy

I found it boring too.

I like the non-EQ/WOW style combat, but 90% of the powers I tried (several sets) weren't worth the effort of executing. Most of the time I used the same weapon combo and occasionally one other weapon combo was useful.

And it was too solo-centric for my liking. All of the content was easily solo-able and if you did group up it meant losing out on loot --> i.e. disincentive to group.

Posted: Jan 14th 2011 10:26PM evanset6 said

@DancingCow I actually love it... playing on PS3... but I can't get enough!

Posted: Jan 14th 2011 11:38PM Drunken Irish Sniper said

@Miffy. I loved the game up until I ran out of quests in Gotham at level 12 and it forced me to go quest in Metropolis, that was a deal breaker for me. I mean really, how hard is it to add enough quests to level to 30 without running out, only 2 other quests have popped up for Gotham and I'm level 19 now.

The combat sucks too.
Here's an example of typical DC Uni combat.

I try to punch a guy standing directly in front of me, but instead I leap across the street and punch a random guy in the middle of another group of enemies in the head essentially pissing off the whole group.

It doesn't sound so bad but doing it over and over then getting stunned by them too is really irritating.

Posted: Jan 15th 2011 12:52AM Romanime said

@Miffy What bothers me is that the game has been in development for somewhere around 5-6 years, and they launched with that little bit of content. I sort of think/hope that they have the first couple months of content updates already done and decided not launch with them to make sure they have enough time to finish more updates.

Posted: Jan 16th 2011 12:00PM Valdamar said

@Miffy
You're not the only one - constantly spamming one mouse button, rarely needing your very short action bar and occasionally being able to pick up crates/barrels is not what I'd call much progress over the hackneyed gameplay of traditional MMOs. DCUO combat sent me to sleep.

Dumbing down combat does not automatically make it more action-based - if they'd vastly increased tactical/contextual options for skills/powers at the same time as simplifying the control scheme then I'd have been the first to sing SOE's praises, but they only did the latter and basically created a ridiculously simple game with less tactical depth than Diablo - that would have been fine as a lightweight multiplayer console-only game - but to stick it on PC as well (without really tuning any of the UI for mouse/keyboard) and then charge £10/$15 a month for it is quite frankly insulting.

Posted: Jan 14th 2011 7:12PM Molala said

And here i thought the first real console massively multiplayer title was phantasy star online. Go figure!

Posted: Jan 14th 2011 7:46PM oxlar said

• 1 heart
The IP alone made me yawn. Is there really a market for another superheroes game? Especially of this nature?

Posted: Jan 15th 2011 9:40AM uckethea said

@oxlar Absolutely ! I can't imagine why we have more than 1 stupor hero game. Now I understand the way people feel about fantasy mmo's and them all being basically the same in many many ways.

The Hero games have nothing different to separate one from another.

Posted: Jan 19th 2011 9:32PM Protoavis said

@oxlar

Part of it is the IP. I mean both CoX and CO are ok but the main characters just seem silly to me. DCUO is ok, the graphics update is definately a bonus over the other two but it's not nearly as exciting/inventive as the devs make it out to be. When Marvel Universe Online info starts popping out (probably not for a few years but whatever) I'd probably be interested in it purely because of the IP since in general I perfer the characters and the world even if the gameplay is pretty much the same as the other three.

Posted: Jan 14th 2011 7:50PM Alluvian EstEndrati said

Some of the basic elements of DCUO turned out really well I think, the travel powers (especially Superspeed) and the general combat mechanics are very good. The combo system hover is rather annoying and I am not at all fond of how the power system is setup and works. Not launching with Light Manipulation or Electricity/Lightning powers was also a very big turnoff IMO.

The game feels like it needed another 6+ months of development... and a willingness to change some mechanics around.

Graphically it is ok, nothing to brag about however.

Posted: Jan 14th 2011 8:01PM Ekphrasis said

Since we're talking subscription fees - how about getting SOE to explain why they are EXTORTING Australian and New Zealand players by locking them into paying a much higher amount in AUD.

NOTE: In before Americans telling me about the exchange rate - they're ~at parity, meaning AUD$1 = approximately USD$1.

- US players are charged USD$14.99, which would equal ~AUD$14.99
- EU players are charged EURO12.99, which would equal ~AUD$17
- AU players are locked into pay AUD$19.95 and CANNOT change their currency to pay in USD/EU.

Additionally, SOE NEVER advertised that there would be a separate subscription fee for Australian/NZ players. It's not listed in fine print, their website or labelling ANYWHERE. This is both deceptive, misleading and false advertising.

The only point we found out that we would be paying a higher rate was AFTER we purchased and activated the product and were presented with subscription fee options.

On top of that, the AUD rate we are locked in to pay is MORE expensive than ANY of the other titles SOE offers (and charges us in AUD to play).

Vanguard USD$14.99 = AUD$17.95
Everquest 2 USD$14.99 = AUD$17.95
Pirates of the Burning Sea USD$14.99 = AUD$17.95

*** DC Universe Online USD$14.99 = AUD$19.95 ***

So far, SOE Customer Service have advised us that it is not possible to let us pay in USD (or any other currency), that it is due to mysterious tax reasons, that they have to pay a transaction company a conversion fee because it's in AUD to suggesting we get friends in the US to buy and send us gamecards. Even worse, Australian players who have older SOE accounts have their payment currency set as USD and STEAM accounts can also pay in USD. Anyone else who will either buy the boxed copy or downloaded via some other digital distribution avenue does not have that option.

RadarX has promised us he's looking into it which is great and we're eagerly awaiting more information as to why we're being ripped off.

So go ahead Smedley - explain that please.

Posted: Jan 14th 2011 8:18PM Protoavis said

@Ekphrasis

Don't get your hopes up about anyone here asking that question all the interviews seem more like cash for comment than legit since tough questions are never asked of the interviewee's, always seems more like advertising in disguise.

Posted: Jan 14th 2011 8:22PM Yellowdancer said

@Ekphrasis

I've been wondering about this. The devs said you can pay with a universal MMO card. Why not just get that?

Posted: Jan 14th 2011 8:36PM Ekphrasis said

@Protoavis

Agree. At least I can try to make other AU/NZ players aware of the issue before they buy the game and find themselves in the same position. Surely negative publicity can't be good and perhaps someone at SOE might even read this.

We'll carry it on the official forums and there's one player who is raising an official complaint with the ACCC (Australian government organisation responsible for ensuring compliance with the Trade Practices Act) - since they're charging us in AUD and SOE apparently has an AU region office.

There are even a few US players who acknowledge that we're being totally ripped off and support a review of the AU subscription fee or granting us the option to pay in USD.

Setting a (seemingly) arbitrarily determined subscription fee that was NOT advertised anywhere until after activating the product is not only wrong, it's possibly illegal.

Posted: Jan 14th 2011 8:39PM Ekphrasis said

@Yellowdancer

Thanks mate, will look into it.

The issue still needs to be addressed though - not just worked around.