Posted: Jan 14th 2011 11:37AM tk421242 said

Ironic timing of this post... I just reinstalled and created a new character. I actually just hit level 3 and was going to get in on the OnedAwesome guild this weekend if I had some playing time. I really prefer to go solo in the game, but sometimes a little help is good.

I have found DDO to be the best FTP title out there on the market currently. I have not encountered any major obstacles to enjoying the game without having to pay, and that has made me actually not opposed to buying some points. Granted, I have never leveled any characters to max in DDO so time will tell if that happens.

Posted: Jan 14th 2011 1:27PM Tanek said

@tk421242

Same here. I took the 50% off sale this week as the sign that it was time to get back to DDO after work and holidays have finally settled down. I am very much looking forward to playing again, even if it is not with quite the schedule I was able to maintain before. DDO remains near the top of my list of games and I like how it really feels different from other MMOs I have played.

Posted: Jan 14th 2011 11:51AM tidalkraken said

Most of this article was great. Always interesting to see what Turbine is cooking up.
However, I would like to air one beef I've developed with Massively.com. It seems that, more and more, you guys talk about your jobs as if they were some sort of happy burden, something that you love to complain about, going on tangents about how "it cuts down on game time" or "we don't do what you think we do".
Speaking as a 3D Animation and Interactive Media major who has been rejected by over 200 game companies and magazines in the past three months alone, I think that you should have a bit more respect for one of the audiences that reads your site, and that would be the game dev audience. More specifically these days, the out of work game dev audience.
It's insensitive to complain about a job like writing for Massively because it "cuts into your game time", when I happen to know several high-level game animators, who after having devoted their lives to the gaming industry and brought us such things as EQ and VG, have had to take up jobs at salons, restaurants, and crappy retail stores just to make ends meet.

Please, stop complaining about your jobs on Massively. Most of us industry professionals would kill to have your job.

Posted: Jan 14th 2011 1:36PM mechanicalturk said

@tidalkraken

Being overly sensitive about your current job situation doesn't correlate to anyone on the Massively staff as having expressed serious complaints about their jobs. My guess is that those crappy jobs you listed probably pay better than the average Massively staff writing position. It's a tough position you are in and many of us feel your pain. Most people working in some gaming related field will tell you that they have little time for gaming. It honestly looks like Rubi is writing from a perspective that many can relate with.

I have a pre-revenue startup that is in gaming, but I have little or no time to actually play. That and I personally have yet to make any money from my venture. I spend many hours a day coding and running the general operations of my company. What little time and energy I have left is reserved for my family. Sure, I could go get a job that pays something and requires less hours, but I wouldn't change my opportunity for anything in the world. It's my passion, as I am sure writing about MMOs are for the Massively staff. In lieu of actual game time, I appreciate the quick reads and community discussions about my favorite gaming genre here on Massively. I'm not suggesting that anyone go start up a company, with the risk of no immediate salary. Everyone has to pay their bills. It just works for me in the short term.

So why would the Massively staff ever make reference to their jobs not being as glamourous as most people would expect? Probably the same reason that I have to constantly remind people that I don't actually sit around and plays games all day as part of my job. General ignorance about my job and the jobs of others is usually what causes a need for some sort of response. I think the best option would be to reserve judgment until you have 'walked a mile in their shoes'.

Good luck with the job search and happy gaming ( free-time permitting ;)

Posted: Jan 14th 2011 12:39PM donweel said

I have been away from the game for over six months with just occasional log ins. Being a casual player with a small guild the "Rise of the Guilds" expansion made casual playing rough. Most of my guild left to join a big guild, so now there is just me and some people I started with. The big problem is the power leveling penalty. One of my buddies got stuck at level 15 and my main is at 19. So we can only do a few explorer areas. We have some alts at level 10 so we can have some fun playing those and try to catch them up. Game was more fun at the mid levels and then grind set in at the end game. I play LotRO mostly now and find it easier to play casually, but the DDO combat system is more fun. Unfortunately DDO is very much an "amusement park ride where you must be this high to enter" (Scott Hartsman). So together DDO and LotRO are kind of like 2 cookies, and Rift will be the creamy center I think.

Posted: Jan 14th 2011 2:31PM pcgneurotic said

Coming back to an mmog after an extended absence is a big issue imo, and one I'd love to see explored more fully. I sit at my computer all day (I work from home), counting the mmog icons on my quick launch bar and sighing because I know it's another day and I have no time to go online.

When I do catch a break though, choosing which game to log in to is a process with quite a few variables, including what I'm in the mod for, my memory of what I was doing last time and how satisfying or fun it would be to resume at that point, and how much time I'd need to settle back in and find my groove.

DDO is the best for quickly getting back into. EQ2 and LoTRO and some others require a bit more digging ot get under the surface, esp. if it's been a few months or more than half a year. My strategy there is to log in on every character, have a look around, check my bags etc, then settle for housekeeping and tidy-up. I clean out bags, re-organise bank space, craft some stuff maybe, visit the vendors and AH, maybe trim a bunch of dead wood out of my quest journal. I can think of quite a few times where I've been away from a game so long that the levelling mechanics or something similar have been changed and half my journal's contents have become useless.

I'm currently struggling to get my shiz together enough to get back into some STO or EQ2 - that last's a bugger because I've got Live and Extended accounts to consider. :D

Posted: Jan 14th 2011 5:22PM TheBaub said

Tebraen from OnedAwesome here. If you're interested in joining, and curious if you're in the level ranges of the group, you should know that you're more than likely in range of at least one of our unofficial parties.

The original party formed up for Exploring Eberron is currently sitting at around 12-14, and the second main group we alt'ed over to is about 8-9.
Many of us have yet another alt in the 9-10 range as well, reserved for when certain core members (who haven't been able to join as much lately) can play. Additionally, many of the group has recently heard interest from friends and co-workers and made new / low alts to run with them, or simply gotten a case of altitis. I myself have two level 4s (a tank and a bard) and a level 5 (rogue/ranger). We haven't formalized any particular party in this lower range yet, but something may form if we play these more.

As you can see, no matter what level you've gotten to (or not) we have at least two or three characters in that range. The only hurdles would be filling all the roles in that range (healer, rogue, melee, etc.), especially if/when we hit the dreaded numbers of 7 and 13, when we have to split the party.

Posted: Jan 14th 2011 5:32PM TheBaub said

Oh, and although the 'official' wednesday night sessions are no more, for most weeks Wednesday and Saturday nights end up being the nights that we're available and run regardless.

If you need another day or time, by all means let us know and we'll work it out. For those who don't have as limited options, Wed/Sat evenings are when you're most likely to find a large group of us.