Posted: Jan 13th 2011 5:56PM SnarlingWolf said

@Nef

Tumeroks and Lugians are the next playable races being added into Asheron's Call. So although AC2 is no more, people will soon be able to play as Tumeroks all over again.

They've recently added Undead (obviously thanks to the article above) Gearknights, Shadows, Empyreans, Olthoi (yes you can play an open world form of monster play with Olthoi in AC now, and it is very fun), and soon Tumeroks and Lugians.

Posted: Jan 14th 2011 12:03AM jonnyfrag said

@SnarlingWolf
Asheron's Call would be able to fill every spot in the list actually if they were going with 'critters we've never seen before.' Instead of using the old stock D&D monsters most games were (and still do) they were cranking out original monsters and world. For a long time you really only had differing shades of humans, but they are really opening it up now.
Asherons Call is the best mature game no one is playing, hands down.

Posted: Jan 13th 2011 2:51PM Tom in VA said

I was always rather partial to the tauren in WoW, myself -- dranei, not so much.

Of the established races in STO, I like the Klingons, though, of course, their look and characteristics were determined long before the MMO came to be.

But, Rubi is right, Charr was the first race that came to my mind when I saw your article title (which I enjoyed reading, by the way).

I think a Mass Effect MMO would also be great fun, as some of the races in that game world look like they'd be inventive and entertaining to play.

Posted: Jan 13th 2011 4:28PM Irem said

@Tom in VA
I would roll a turian and never, ever look back.

Posted: Jan 13th 2011 5:01PM cowboyhugbees said

@Irem Everyone would.

Although, if I could play as a Salarian that sang showtunes, I would have quite the decision to make.

Posted: Jan 13th 2011 8:40PM Drunken Irish Sniper said

@Tom in VA. How dare no one say they'd like to play a Krogan!

Krogan FTW!

Posted: Jan 20th 2011 4:19PM Caliber said

@Tom in VA

Geth!

Posted: Jan 13th 2011 2:57PM DancingCow said

I think Ryzom's Zorai belong in this list.

Might also be a bit of a niche thing, but I'd really like to see more non-humanoid races in MMOs.

Posted: Jan 13th 2011 4:04PM nomoredroids said

@DancingCow

Look like Elves to me.

Posted: Jan 13th 2011 3:01PM RogueJedi86 said

Cool dragons? What about Draco from Dragonheart? It's a dragon with Sean Connery's voice. Or Nidhoggr from EverWorld(and in turn Norse mythology), a dragon so large that he made Godzilla look like a kitten, while also guarding enough gold to fill the Great Lakes. And for the record, Falcor was awesome.

Posted: Jan 13th 2011 3:09PM KappoRDM said

I always steer away from the "Human" race in MMOs myself. I play a human in real life everyday, I don't need that in a fantasy setting. It is nice to see new twists on character races other than the staple human/dwarf/elf trifecta. That being said, a human with an (insert type of animal) head is not an acceptable race choice for me at this point. Here's to creative thinking in game development.

Posted: Jan 14th 2011 12:17PM Valdamar said

@KappoRDM
I 100% agree with you on that - I'd like to see a lot more originality in MMO races - and human bodies with animal heads stuck on top just doesn't do it for me (the wolf- and fox-like races in Vanguard looked particularly silly in that respect - like I'd wandered into a Beatrix Potter story).

That said, I would suspend my dislike of anthropomorphic animal races if ArenaNet made the Kodan (Polar Bear race) playable in GW2 :)

At least GW2's Charr don't actually look like wolves, bears or big cats - just a big, mean, furry thing with fangs, teeth, horns and claws - they have some originality to them (especially in the way they move). Ditto with EQ/EQ2's Iksar - they're not just a human-like animated body with a reptilian skin texture and lizard head shoved on - SOE went out of their way to make them move and look like a proper reptilian race, not just a hack job.

I usually lean towards playing "monster" races, personally, but so few MMORPGs actually have them these days - so many just have loads of elf/human variants - bleh - so boring. In fact that's one area where Rift: Planes of Telara really lets the genre down a bit - basically 5 of the 6 races are human/elf types with the 6th being a fairly standard dwarf - Trion have copied so much from WoW, EQ2 and WAR it's just a shame they didn't copy the racial diversity as well.

Posted: Jan 13th 2011 3:12PM oxlar said

Well to be honest, you could have listed quite a few EQ2 races such as:

Iksar
Sarnak
Ogre
Troll
Arasai
Fae
Vampire

I honestly can't think of any other MMO on the market that has such as much rich and diverse racial options as EQ2 does. And then you get to classes. There are like 24 of them. Why more people don't play EQ2, I don't know. Is it a lack of marketing?

Posted: Jan 13th 2011 3:13PM oxlar said

@oxlar

And Frogloks.

Posted: Jan 13th 2011 3:55PM nomoredroids said

@oxlar

No, I think its a lack of fun.

Posted: Jan 13th 2011 4:16PM oxlar said

@nomoredroids

I'm having more fun in this game than any other. So no lack of it there for me. But then again, I get more fun out of complex game mechanics than simplistic WoW like mechanics.

Posted: Jan 13th 2011 3:18PM mszv said

I just started playing World of Warcraft (I think the 30 minutes I did four years ago doesn't count), and I rolled a draenei. I really like the character.

Guild Wars 2 is going to have other interesting races, such as the Sylvari - "botanical humanoids". They are from plants, but look like people, and there's a reason for that, in game. I think that's pretty cool.

Posted: Jan 13th 2011 3:35PM Utakata said

*Pokes Syp @ #4*

...you forgot Gnomes.

Posted: Jan 13th 2011 4:02PM Dayron said

" Darn it, aren't there any cool dragons in the world?"
- Smaug from The Hobbit

Posted: Jan 13th 2011 4:04PM JoeH42 said

For anyone who likes to think about this subject a lot, I thought that Brandon Sanderson (an author well known for being picked to finish off The Wheel of Time series as well as for his Mistborn series and The Way of Kings) phrased things very well when an interview asked him why he avoids the usual fantasy tropes in his writings.
He points out "For a long time I've felt that epic fantasy has relied too much on Tolkien, who did a wonderful job, but I feel that rather than doing what he did by creating races and mythologies and worlds of our own we've in some ways allowed ourselves to be strongly influenced by him and relied on some of the work he did....There was the generation who relied a lot on Tolkien and the generation who grew up reading those authors' books, and a lot of us in my generation of writers seem like we are reacting against the previous generations by saying, "Okay, that's been done, and you did a good job. Where else can we take this?""

I think that summarizes how I feel. Elves and Dwarves and Gnomes and Orcs and Trolls are great but... time to move on. You can do ANYTHING in Fantasy, that's sort of the definition. I think people are slowly moving that direction and it's good to see some progress being made, but there's definately room for more.

P.S. If you want to read that full interview follow yonder link. He starts talking about the subject about 1/3rd of the way through.

Betawatch: September 13 - 19, 2014