Posted: Jan 13th 2011 8:06AM organiclockwork said

It really depends, for me.

If I'm going to be roleplaying the character, it's important to me that they have a unique name I haven't used before. If I'm not, or if I'm just rolling the character as a trial character for a game or something of the sort, then I usually fall back on "Alir," which is the name of the first character I ever played in WoW.

Posted: Jan 13th 2011 8:09AM Historian said

I'm "Historian" everywhere...

Posted: Jan 13th 2011 8:13AM Ayenn said

I have four names I recycle. Three of them more than the fourth. They each have particular features but not personality traits.

Posted: Jan 13th 2011 8:58AM Unshra said

@Ayenn
Similar, I have a name I always use (as it's very unique) for a main and two others that I use for alts depending on if they sound right for the race and it's culture. While their traits are generally the same from mmo to mmo their background and goals are not.

There are times I feel that I have to create a new name do it better fits the lore but those moments are very rare.

Posted: Jan 13th 2011 8:17AM Shoikler said

I haven't done yet, but I'm not necessarily averse to it. If the name is appropriate to the new character, perhaps I might try it. For example, if I try another fantasy game, I might carry over a WoW name or two, but they just wouldn't work well with a superhero game. [I probably wouldn't use "Shoikler" again, though, since that's mentally too tied to the one character.]

Posted: Jan 13th 2011 8:21AM Snichy said

I keep my name in everything I use in the virtual world: games, forums etc. It is a large part of who I am (because the letters are all relevent to my real name) and also I tend to "game-hop" a lot, especially recently where I havent settled on a "main" game, so it might help if I lose contact with people from one game so they can find me or bump into me in another game!

Posted: Jan 13th 2011 8:25AM paraLogiki said

Yes, I do. I have a name for each character roll, tank, melee dps, ranged dps, healing, magic dps, etc. Helps my friends find me :P

Posted: Jan 13th 2011 8:30AM OxfordDon said

I have several that I use over and over again in different games, depending on character type, but I sure as hell not going to mention them here since I would like to keep them for myself thank you very much :D

Posted: Jan 13th 2011 5:00PM OxfordDon said

@OxfordDon Actually except for LotRO, where I went for a more RP in character feel with Asildur, Asildar, Asildir and Asilder.

Posted: Jan 13th 2011 8:35AM Stoneywall said

I have a set of names that I recycle for every game I play. I usually keep them with the same character class in each game, too. I have certain names I use for fighters, certain names I use for healers, etc. I don't like coming up with new names :)

Posted: Jan 13th 2011 8:46AM Zanair said

I always use either one or two character names through all the MMOs that I play.
It helps me keep my head straight about each character since I keep their personalities the same (if I RP). Too many names just gets to be a big jumble and I really like it when I meet someone and they know me from one of my other personas in another MMO.

Posted: Jan 13th 2011 9:06AM Trippin said

Well yes, every game i play my main WILL be called Trippin, or if thats taken Trippin24/7, or just something that starts with Trip

if i start to role-play i will take a name fitting for the lore, but seen as that wont be a Main (i just do casual RP) that wont be much of a problem

Posted: Jan 13th 2011 9:28AM Haggs said

There is one name I created while playing my first MMO that I like so much I transfer it from game to game (even non-MMO games). It's not the best superhero name so I ran into problems when I started playing City of Heroes, but I made it work.

Recently, I came up with a fun character name while playing the DCUO beta. But as I realized I wasn't interested in that game, I recreated that character in CoH and have been enjoying him ever since.

Posted: Jan 13th 2011 9:30AM FrostPaw said

Sometimes, I try to pick names that fit the setting so certain names are not appropriate for certain characters in other games. However If I can use one of the few common names I use yes I reuse them, partly becuse I like those names and partly because even in the vastness of the internet its possible someone may identify me from a past game which has never happened yet but it adds that element of surprise if I ever meet someone I once played another game with.

Posted: Jan 13th 2011 9:37AM Zaetal said

Except for City of Heroes/CO, using obviously super hero-ish names, I've recycled the same few names since 2002, only adding a couple here and there.

Posted: Jan 13th 2011 9:45AM jeremywc said

I always have a handful of names I recycle and each name I use for certain types of characters. My main in EverQuest was an Ogre Shaman named Toktuk. So any characters I have that are a war like race like Ogres, Orcs, and Trolls will get the name Toktuk. I have other names I recycle for Dwarves, healers, etc.

Posted: Jan 13th 2011 9:46AM Gaugamela said

I usually stick to a couple of names. Gaugamela is obviously one of them, usually used in melee characters. I also use a few others in all games.

Posted: Jan 13th 2011 9:48AM Haldurson said

I used to use Haldur or Haldurson in a lot of games, mostly because I've moved between games with online friends and that's the name they usually know me by. It's just easier when you have lots of characters, that you have one that everyone in your guild/kin/clan knows you by.

That said, my main rarely turns out to be my first choice of character, and I'm an altaholic. So what usually happens is that Haldur turns into a rarely played alt. And the name that I become known by in whatever game I play becomes kind of random.

Posted: Jan 13th 2011 9:50AM Triskelion said

Good topic.

I recycle, the names I've chose are from special but they're special to me. But every name I've chose, for the most part, comes from the Magic: The Gathering TCG, I used to play a lot and I always found the best names from various sets. Every once in a while someone would send me a tell "hey, do you play MTG?", I'd be like "yeah", and they'd go "thought so, awesome game".

Posted: Jan 13th 2011 10:01AM Dumac said

Yes a few names i recycle, i often name my characters after daedric princes or other creatures and divinities from the elder scrolls, and i have a few favorites that i use over and over. I know its not original but eh, when i have to name my characters i usually can't think of anything, even though good names come to my mind when i least need them like when im out, once in a blue moon